Eevee Energy Evolution Exploit

sactwu

Hi there,

there seems to be a possible exploit of the undo button involving the new Eevee's (FuF 80/111) energy evolution ability.

To reproduce, follow steps:

1. Attach an energy to Eevee

2. Check one's deck (possibly shuffle it, didn't have the chance to test it yet)

3. Click "done" without having selected an evolution

4. Click the "undo" button

A possible easy fix would be to disable the undo button after searching one's deck.

Cheers,

sactwu

it allows you to view the contents of your deck for free. in other words, you can deduce what your prizes are, and therefore change your strategy accordingly. its an advanced tactic that i use quite often :)

Dunno, there's so many cards that allow you to search your deck and let you find out what you have under your prizes. Just seems like a very minor exploit, if you could call it that even.

It's an exploit nonetheless: I do very much agree with being allowed to undo a move, but if you made a move after that move, your chance to undo that former move should be gone, especially so if the latter move required the former move.

The issue here is that you only shuffle the deck if you choose to evolve Eevee. A PTCGO-only errata is not possible due to the nature of the game, so the only good solution (For all 'If you do X, you may do Y' abilities, not just this one) is add a small dialog box asking if you want to do that. If doing Y is not possible, the dialog box should not appear at all or just say that you can't do Y

e.g. My Fairy deck has a Plasma Freeze Leafeon tech due to Energy Crush. Technically, I can attack a Fairy Energy to Eevee (Provided I had FRF Eevee, which I don't yet), and the ability would trigger. Since I have no Sylveon in my deck, what I would get is a free 'deck scan'

Now, the question is, would anything happen in a real TCG match if someone attempted to do something like in my example? If it's not considered wrong, then there is nothing wrong with the way it is implemented right now

Sorry if my explanation wasn't precise enough. The deck scan itself is a very valid strategy most players use.

However, in your example, you don't get a "free" deck scan - the energy would remain attached to Eevee. As it is programmed in PTCGO though, you can simply pick up the energy and attach it to another pokemon. This is the actual exploit and wouldn't be allowed in the real game either.

Incorrect, you would shuffle the deck at any point which you looked into your deck, whether or not you evolve Eevee at that point (as with any card in the Pokemon TCG that involves searching the Deck, you are legally allowed to not select any cards when searching a deck under the premise that "you do as much as you can" under the assumption you didn't find anything valid, though unlike yugioh, you do not need proof that you can or can't find a valid card in your Deck.)

This is a bug nonetheless. If you look at your Deck at all, you cannot remove Eevee's energy to try and attach a differently colored energy (or for the sake of simply looking at your Deck).

Archived