EX-tra format

Skvall

Hello trainers,

This has been suggested to the Dev team quite a bit, so they are aware of this desire from the community. For now, the Dev team is not interested in splitting up players by adding more modes of play. Nevertheless, I'll leave this thread open for discussion in case anyone else has something to add.

Thanks for your input! :)

I love this suggestion, it would allow for much more tactical gameplay. Far too many decks revolve around EX pokemon; it's become a situation where you either run them, or lose. Only a few non-EX decks exist that can beat an EX centered deck.

With a format that excludes EX pokemon, we could see a lot more strategy, abilities used far more often, unique decks. This is something that NEEDS to be applied in game.

Hello trainers,

This has been suggested to the Dev team quite a bit, so they are aware of this desire from the community. For now, the Dev team is not interested in splitting up players by adding more modes of play. Nevertheless, I'll leave this thread open for discussion in case anyone else has something to add.

Thanks for your input! :)

Is basically call a Special No Ex Battle for Rating (This option allow Fair Gameplay more)

if you're having problem dealing with EX its likely not the problem of the EX, more often it will be a problem with the player. And a non ex format is unlikely to change that

I don't believe that limiting the variety of cards playable helps promote strategy

I don't see how luck is related to EXs, seems to be something more realted to crushing hammers, pokemon catchers and roller skates

if you're having problem dealing with EX its likely not the problem of the EX, more often it will be a problem with the player.

Exactly. Facing a Mewtwo EX or Landorus EX is no more difficult to deal with than a 60HP basic Pokémon with a 10/20 attack on turn 1.

I agree with the last two players comments that EX's in general aren't a players actual problem. It has to do with the players lack of ability to afford and obtain all the cards online to build a competitive deck. Or i believe it has to do with a players level of understanding and and ability to strategize against a deck. I see so many people playing decks with just random EX's like Toxicroak, Shaymin, Mew, Victini and others with no real strategy present other then using an EX because it has high health or a decent attack.

The problem lies in improper deck building methods, Would Yveltal EX be very good if you didn't have Sableye to mess with item retreival, Garbodor to cut off abilities, Darkrai for free retreat, Dark patch or non EX Yveltal to charge him up and instead of having all these things for him say you just piled energy on him? He may get lucky every now and again because the damage will be massive. However with properly built decks and good logical combinations of cards you could wreck it before the 1 by 1 energy piling could reach devastating ammounts. Point being an EX by itself without a good strategy built around it isn't really all that good.

There are many helpful resources around the web to where you can find information inexpensive cards and decks that work well together and can completely mess up the strategy of a deck that runs EX cards. Its simply a matter of getting a good understanding of why the deck running the EX is so good and finding a way or a strategy that can stop or at least slow it down so you can compete with it.

Neochamp25 has some good points, however I'll add that some Pokemon EX are just broken, with or without the massive support that seems like it's tailored for them. Yveltal EX being one of those cards. For Dark and DCE energy you hit 80 PLUS energy on opponent on T2 which is most broken attack I've seen so far. That alone without any support is overpowered, and since that's just 1st attack on tank-ish basic Pokemon, we can all see the problem here. Most pokemon EX is not so strong and some are even below average, but still have some usefulness like Victini EX.

Few bad apples spoil the bunch in this case.

Past few months I'm playing pokemon tcg and following it more closely shows how there a huge problem in balancing as it really fluctuates (can't find better word). With release of each set a certain group of cards gets a huge boost while rest gets the shaft. Flashfire made fire decks strong but offered very little to the rest. Furious Fists will make fighting decks steamrolling everything else (due to huge support and Landorus not getting rotated out) and rest will again get the shaft. With all those balancing issues it's no wonder that few EX pokemon get on top and just get overplayed because it's only logical that people will play with cards that are far supreme to every other card.

hi,

thanks for yours opinions, I agree with that strategy is the most important, and I dont hate the EX-pokemons (this is not a problem for me, I love chandelure-ex), I use too, but some times I wanna play without this, large duels (I play large duels with is too) and use other cards. I have cards what I never seen in a deck, because I use the best deck what I can create with my best cards, the format I propose is like the thematic. and is only a option, some times I play thematic, others estandar, etc.

this day the luck was on my side, but rattata is scared, maybe raticate is in the gifts. :confused:

[*******************************************].

the strategy is first, and maybe a new format can provide a new space for new ideas using forgotten cards. I understand it takes work by developers, but maybe in the future can be possible.

I hope more people read this and post here.

so I think what this guy is trying to do is create a format where the stronger cards are limited so the there is a chance to use the weaker cards of each set that people almost never use. how we would really do that however I wouldn't be really sure but limiting EXs probably won't be good enough.

so I think what this guy is trying to do is create a format where the stronger cards are limited so the there is a chance to use the weaker cards of each set that people almost never use. how we would really do that however I wouldn't be really sure but limiting EXs probably won't be good enough.

This would be callled Fair Gameplay Feature

Than people can choice the format to play Unlimited Fair or Not Fair ouccurs

This would be callled Fair Gameplay Feature

Than people can choice the format to play Unlimited Fair or Not Fair ouccurs

Nah that would suggest that playing EXs is unfair, which it is not.

As someone who plays both top tier and casual decks, I agree that the current Pokemon TCG cardpool favors relatively easy to use EX Pokemon.

This feature of the format has slowly been addressed by the game designers, mainly with the introduction of Pyroar. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to play only Quad Pyroar in order to have a good matchup against Yveltal, Plasma, etc. Playing pyroar all the time gets as boring as facing Yveltal all the time.

I also agree that it's a shame most cards from a set can't be used competitively. This has always been the case in the Pokemon TCG to an extent.

However, as others have said before, the problem is not EX pokemon; the problem is competitive play itself. In a format with no EXes, decks like Empoleon Miltank, Garchomp Altaria, and Zekeels would be just as dominant as Yveltal Raichu and Virizion Genesect, with the main difference that you wouldn't start facing KO's until turn 2 or 3 due to time for evolution.

What would be nice is an environment where casual decks below Tier 2 or 3 stand a chance. But this would require the banning of all good basic Pokemon, including EXes, and most good evolutions (Garchomp, Empoleon, Dusknoir, Crobat, Miltank, Eels, Infernape, Delphox, Emboar, Blastoise, the outrage dragons, Flygon, Accelgor, DRX Ninetales, PLS Lucario, FLF Milotic, Plasma Weavile). And that is going to be a subjective list.

In any cardpool, even one without EXes, some cards will always be better than others, and players play to win. Even when building fun decks with bad cards, I build the decks as best I can to maximize my chances of winning. Even if I get matched with Yveltal Garb and lose, it's still fun to play different decks!

I don't like the idea of this mode and would agree with the Professors' reasoning.

You dont like idea, but many do basing many feedback

Remember we will have option of playing Rating>(Special Mode)Fair Unlimited (No EX`s) or (Normal Mode) Unlimited

I will say more people would play No EX Special Mode than Unlimited which is good if they want a fair competitive gameplay

I would like to see a non-EX format since I generally play with very few or no EXes at all in my decks, and honestly I'm not really a fan of EXes in general. But I can see their reasoning behind not implementing such feature.

You dont like idea, but many do basing many feedback

Remember we will have option of playing Rating>(Special Mode)Fair Unlimited (No EX`s) or (Normal Mode) Unlimited

I will say more people would play No EX Special Mode than Unlimited which is good if they want a fair competitive gameplay

if you want "fair" you play with ALL the cards in rotation, if you want to play unfair, then you play a mode with restrictions.

if you want "fair" you play with ALL the cards in rotation, if you want to play unfair, then you play a mode with restrictions.

You Twisted around and there need to defend unfair play

Playing fair is having the Limited Rating Mode (Anything beside EX is allow)

Playing unfair (involves EX) than play Unlimited Rating Mode

Although, when the special mode releases more people probaly play Limited Rating as it balance the gameplay without having negative impact to the game once mode is released. When the mode released players can choice to play Limited Rating Mode or Unlimited Rating Mode

Although, if the special mode releases more people probaly play Limited Rating as it balance the gameplay without having negative impact to the game once mode is released.

Fixed that for you.

...is not if is when you know is coming soon

I've never heard an official ruling/statement from the pokemon company about the use of EXs being unfair

I've never heard an official ruling/statement from the pokemon company about the use of EXs being fair

Archived