Shred vs Barrier break!

Guest ArtichokeCat

Guest ArtichokeCat

So Desdaddy, I've made another thread.

I want to see what the public thinks, now that I know the answer. :P

It's Question Time!

The Theme is: Druddigon PB vs Latias EX PF

1. Will Druddigon's Shred attack go through Umbreon PF's ability? How about Agility?

2. How similar are Druddigon's Shred attack and Latias EX's Barrier Break attack?

3. Will Latias EX's Barrier Break attack go through Umbreon PF's ability? How about Agility?

Answer in the comments! Yes or No and Why?

1. umbreon's ability? that adds 20 hp? it will deal the full damage, but the +20 hp will still be there, will go through agility I believe

2. basically they are the same, but I think the shred one can take weakness and resistance into consideration.

3. it will deal the full damage, but the +20 hp remains, and I believe will go through agility as well, same goes for smooth coat. but I think hip bump might not.

if in fact he does mean espeon, then yes it will still go through espeon:

1: espeon doesn't protect from damage

2: the attack description says its not affected by anything on the defending pokemon, which would include espeon's ability

1. Should go through anything. Though, I don't see relevance with 20+ HP. Are you thinking maybe that when attack is done and it would leave Umbreon with 10 HP it would instead KO it? Because Attack itself is not blocking the ability. Garbodor does that, and that's definitely not same thing. If you think about Espeon, people already gave answer - Espeon doesn't protect from damage.

2. Are you asking which one is better, because it's not an easy answer, and taken out of context Druddigon's attack seems superior. You can attack with 1 specific energy plus one DCE, which is way better than 2 specific plus one colourless. Also, Druddigon's attack isn't taking into account weakness (Which I find really odd and an official ruling on that matter would be nice here, because then resistance would need to be taken into account since they are both similar 'effects' on pokemon and we all know it's ignoring resistance and wording is pretty vague).

However, if we look at the whole picture and context then things get a bit more complicated. Latias is pokemon EX which is usually disadvantage, however it has much more HP than Druddigon which is on the other hand a big advantage. Latias has only 1 attack, while Druddigon has 2 and can potentially cause some trouble quite earlier than Latias. Latias has ability while Druddigon doesn't - and this is where the biggest advantage of Latias comes. It's pretty much unstoppable, while having immunity to a great deal of pokemons because abilities is quite common these days and it even has 160 HP which makes Latias pretty hard target for 1HKO. Along with that it has 1 retreat cost which is really nice (I know Druddigon has too, but it makes much more importance for Latias) and if it gets pulled out to get killed by something in more than 1 turn you can easily save it for later and even with 10HP it'll be a wall that's impossible to climb for a lot of pokemons.

3. In my experience it goes through everything. People get surprised quite a bit when they think they are safe, but in reality there isn't anything that can stop Barrier Break.

I still wonder though if barrier break and shred will go through hip bump, since technically hip bump would be an effect on Latias/druddigon

Umbreon's Health Increase should not be negated by barrier break, as the pokemon being affected by it is in a constant state of being boosted by the ability itself and it does not affect the defending latias using barrier break. Barrier Break only negates the effects that effect the ATTACK itself not the defending pokemon's stats which would be affecting the pokemon that is getting the health boost. Moves like Pyroar's ability or even another Latias's EX's ability is completely negated by barrier break simply because those abilities AFFECT the attack of barrier break. The attack's damage are not effected by any other effects on the defending pokemon i.e. anything that affects barrier break's damage is ignored. Having bonus health doesn't effect Barrier Break's damage, it only makes the defending pokemon have more health. Barrier break SHOULD ignore agility since it would be an effect on the defending pokemon that affects the attack's damage.

So, Latias's barrier break DOES NOT ignore umbreon's health bonus, it DOES ignore another latias's bright down, it also ignores pyroar's ability, and also ignores any safeguard abilities too. Agility also should have no effect on Barrier Break according to the text of the attack.

Archived