How to make Unlimited Format Really Feel Unlimited!

Kanacho

I was looking through the collection and another player pointed out to me that there are cards programmed into the game that aren't actually possible to get (cards that are from particular old sets). Things like base set Charizard, and Old Eeveelutions. That gave me an idea. How about we get access to these older cards for unlimited format? Perhaps you guys could program in some really bench-mark cards and cool stuff, then give it away via prize wheel or other promotional things like this. Having access to older format cards in unlimited that aren't exclusive to HG SS, BW, and XY would really make it feel unlimited!

Perhaps we could get some very key cards from older sets like Broken Time Space, Claydol, and Memory Berry! Maybe a return of Lvl X. Pokémon, or even the old school EX cards! As someone who loves unlimited format, I would really like to see you guys implement even a fraction of the older cards!

Thanks for your time, and any consideration you may take of this idea!

Hi Kanacho,

I can certainly let the Dev team know what you've got to say. In the meantime, I'll leave your thread open for discussion.

Thanks for your input!

Hi Kanacho,

I can certainly let the Dev team know what you've got to say. In the meantime, I'll leave your thread open for discussion.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks!

I was thinking cool cards from older sets that are really unqiue/cool and still relevant for use. Things that didn't get replaced in newer formats that we currently have available to us, and stuff that's still good to use. Broken Time Space is a very popular stadium card and I could see a lot of play of that card in unlimited. Perhaps Memory Berry Like I suggested earlier from the Platinum Era (This is the good one) that allows use of pre-eve moves on the pokemon indefinitely. Another fun stadium that could be interesting is Night Pokémon Center! You choose one of your pokes, and then flip 2 coins. If both are tails it removes all energies on the poke, and if both are heads, it removes all damage on the poke! It would be a pretty funny/fun card to see in unlimited! Amulet Coin is also a cool/unique card. It's a Pokémon Tool card that allows you to draw 1 card at the end of your turn, if the pokemon it is attached to is your active pokemon. Night Teleporter is another card that allows you to flip a coin, and if heads put all cards on the top of your deck, and add 1 card to your hand. It could be AWESOME with juniper raising the chances of getting juniper out of your deck, and preventing you from discarding cards out of your hands since all of them go back on the top of your deck before you get the juniper!

What do you guys think? Should some of these cool unlimited cards be brought into PTCGO? Having access to some key older cards would be really fun, and they can be prize Wheel Cards too, if the development team sees it to be best!

What do you guys think? Should some of these cool unlimited cards be brought into PTCGO? Having access to some key older cards would be really fun, and they can be prize Wheel Cards too, if the development team sees it to be best!

I like this idea. :) Then people would be able to truly get a 100% complete collection. It would also reintroduce old strategies and maybe make new ones, giving this game a lot more variety.

I like this idea. :) Then people would be able to truly get a 100% complete collection. It would also reintroduce old strategies and maybe make new ones, giving this game a lot more variety.

Yeah that's true :)

it would take a lot of time for the devs to programme the thousands of old cards but definitely think it's a great idea. One huge problem with it is that old cards can't stand up to new cards even from the hg/ss expansions th old cards would be destroyed

Other TCG have gone about creating special "digital only" packs that are designed to be played in a limited format. This way they've been able to implement cards that came before their respective online programs have existed and it serves two purposes:

1. Allow players to play with the same cards they would on paper.

2. Re-introduce old cards to new players.

Obviously there is no limited play set up for PTCGO, but who is to say what the future holds.

Broken Time Space would certainly be veeery awsome.

The older Sableye, Muk EX, the Porygon 2 that lets you use more Supporters all those would be awsome

it would take a lot of time for the devs to programme the thousands of old cards but definitely think it's a great idea. One huge problem with it is that old cards can't stand up to new cards even from the hg/ss expansions th old cards would be destroyed

Not true. Most of the top tier competitive Unlimited decks outside of PTCGO do not run EX or any of the "stronger" new Pokemon. Aggron (the one with ablitiy) is probably the most recent card that was used as a main focus in an unlimited & top tier deck.

Hi Kanacho,

Thanks for your input!

Nice; I was afraid when I saw this thread that this would be the kind of topic that had been run into the ground before now.

As a long time player, I would love to see two things:

1) The release of a digital version of every older card that can be. I realize certain game mechanics may be difficult to program, there may be legal issues, etc. that prevent certain cards from being re-released. Virtual Boosters and theme decks might be fun, though the latter might be an issue for the Theme Deck tournaments.

2) The ability to create custom formats, or else use past Modified Formats.

Neither of these are top priority; obviously the present game is what really matters. Also, when releasing digital versions of older cards, I must confess being a bit torn. The game rules have changed over time, so if the older rules are not in effect, it may create issues... and that's even more time eaten up by the project.

I'm sure not every card needs to be remade, and considering the focus is not on older sets, this kind of stuff probably wont happen.

Rereleasing entire sets my be a bit of work, though maybe the more important/best cards from particular sets of the past to be released as their own sets, perhaps based on their generation or series:

Gen 1: Base Set to Gym Challenge

Gen 2: Neo Genesis to Skyridge

Gen 3: EX Ruby/Sapphire to EX Power Keepers

Gen 4: Diamond & Pearl to Arceus

Then again, taking thousands of cards, then picking a portion of them to be released in custom sets would be something to even attempt, as would require a lot of feedback and judgment as to what would be still usable in today's card game.

Instead, another way to accomplish it is to reverse release sets in between official sets. New sets are released every 3 months, so 1 1/2 months after each new set release would be an older set release, starting from the latest D&P and heading backwards, meaning (for example) at around the last week of September 2014 you'd release the Arceus Expansion from D&P, 3 months after that, you'd release the Supreme Victors Expansion, and so on.

Not really sure what else to suggest. Probably best to not concern ourselves with older cards, but again, the true "unlimited" experience lies in having all the old cards. Thanks to the new "Extended" format coming soon, our "Unlimited" format has gotten a lot smaller effectively as it only has the 5 HG/SS Sets unique to it now.

I'm sure not every card needs to be remade, and considering the focus is not on older sets, this kind of stuff probably wont happen.

Indeed... and yet the moderators did allow the thread. I know I made reference to such things in my own post... so I guess we agree?

No need to quote the whole thing, but I agree more with the last half of your post; while it might be tempting to try and select just the best and most important cards (or "more" important cards), that's probably going to make more work instead of less due to issues with balancing out the older cards.

A bit like what you suggested, I would like past Modified Formats to be added. Yes, adding the previous format isn't very hard and is a bit redundant... but that is kind of the point; keeping it easy. So we get Black & White through... sorry, can't remember if it went through to BW: Plasma Freeze or BW: Plasma Blast. :o This still involves some doing; tweaking the interface for selecting alternate formats, as well as programming them in.

This starts very slow for the team, so that they've got a while before they even have to start adding in older sets, but also looks to the future: the current format changes over Sept. 3, so perhaps if they are prepared for this ahead of time, they won't have to make a special effort to include formats that existed during the PTCGO.

Rereleasing entire sets my be a bit of work, though maybe the more important/best cards from particular sets of the past to be released as their own sets, perhaps based on their generation or series:

Gen 1: Base Set to Gym Challenge

Gen 2: Neo Genesis to Skyridge

Gen 3: EX Ruby/Sapphire to EX Power Keepers

Gen 4: Diamond & Pearl to Arceus

Then again, taking thousands of cards, then picking a portion of them to be released in custom sets would be something to even attempt, as would require a lot of feedback and judgment as to what would be still usable in today's card game.

Instead, another way to accomplish it is to reverse release sets in between official sets. New sets are released every 3 months, so 1 1/2 months after each new set release would be an older set release, starting from the latest D&P and heading backwards, meaning (for example) at around the last week of September 2014 you'd release the Arceus Expansion from D&P, 3 months after that, you'd release the Supreme Victors Expansion, and so on.

Not really sure what else to suggest. Probably best to not concern ourselves with older cards, but again, the true "unlimited" experience lies in having all the old cards. Thanks to the new "Extended" format coming soon, our "Unlimited" format has gotten a lot smaller effectively as it only has the 5 HG/SS Sets unique to it now.

Oh wow, I JUST suggested this myself. I said they should release Platinum: Arceus (the first one before HGSS) along with Furious Fists. Imagine all the fun that would be! I think that'd be cleaner and better (not to mention LESS work for the programmers).

I'm not sure on the details about how long it takes to program an entire set of cards in, but debating over what cards are viable, They should simply look at what was the most popular decks in the past metas, then look at the key cards contained in those decks, then determine if they are viable, and if so, release them. Things like Broken Time Space were extremely excellent cards in the meta-game when it was legal, or Claydol with cosmic power from diamond and pearl great encounters (I believe it was used with spray splash kingdra prime during the time it was legal, but not quite sure about that all). Anyway, there are plenty of cards that are still more than viable now, that could easily find a home in unlimited. That's just my suggestion though. They could custom make sets that you can buy in-store with coins or something (making them tradeable as there would be no other tradeable versions), and then have these hand-picked cards that were popular from the older meta-game.

Archived