Alas and woe: Wheel Latias and Latios

TheCollecTorr

There is much speculation circulating in this community right now as to whether the promo version of these 2 cards from HG and SS will appear on the wheel in the near future. Many players are trying to shift them because of these popular rumors, and others are trying to buy them for cheap, risking a permanent decline in value of them.

I think we should look at this more carefully and in depth.

These rumors were born out of the recent 'giveaways' of the promo FA Darkrai and the promo FA Giratina. Players thought, if they will give out similarly rare promos, they might continue this trend with the promos and move on to Latias and Latios.

Myself? I'm not so sure about that...

I think it is quite possible that the admins decided to give out such cards already in order to provide some gratification for players who spend relatively little compared to the bigger players who amass cards and profit from trades regularly. If they can issue 'virtual rewards' to us (i.e. the promo Darkrai and Giratina, etc.), which has minute costs to them, but that this can attract customers and make them more money, then it is a good marketing strategy. However, to commit overkill and make commonplace too many high-value cards, would be a bad marketing strategy, as they are removing the high cost of cards which makes them money from players buying more packs to afford them, and they have already enticed many hesitant low-spending players to play the game with a virtual reward system, as of late, that has gained appraisals from many.

The people moderating this game do closely observe our habits and behaviors. That much should be self-evident to you all. And they do make decisions revolving around their own profit.

This is my view.

However, to commit overkill and make commonplace too many high-value cards, would be a bad marketing strategy, as they are removing the high cost of cards which makes them money from players buying more packs to afford them, and they have already enticed many hesitant low-spending players to play the game with a virtual reward system, as of late, that has gained appraisals from many.

This is my view.

And how many people do you think buy real packs in order to afford a card in the online game versus those who buy packs because they collect the real cards/play the game in real life? Yeah, that wouldn't be many. Even then, buying just the codes is way, way cheaper than buying packs for the codes.

Even if a few cards decrease in value in the online game, people who bought real packs will continue to do so. They lose nothing.

Cards like the Latios/Latias promo are cards only sought after by the few collectors who can afford them. They have no value outside their rarity. You can't use them in the standard format, and even if they could be played, they have terrible stats. If/When these cards are dropped from the prize wheel it'll affect very few players. Those who have the cards hoping for a save investment will be disappointed, while those who have got them for the sake of completing their collection won't even care.

If they want to make money off this game they could easily do so by selling packs and vanity items in their store. They already do so in Canada. It's only a matter of time till they open the store to everyone.

If this game is ever getting anywhere, it will not be through the collectors, but through their competitors. There's a lot more value to add to the online version of this game by developing it that way. I think giving out promos and special edition of cards, no matter how old and how valuable will only affect the people who buy collectors cards to re-sell, and that might even be a good effect. those who wanted to have them at the time they purchased them must have been in a "wealthy" (I can't believe i used this word here) position to do so and won't care that much. I've bought a few valuable old cards and what I'll do now is stop doing so and see how this develops, but I like the way they are handling it. Are you going to print your fancy collection and put papper on your wall? make it the back of your screen? When I see them doing this I feel relieved to think they are focusing on the other side of the equation more.

Archived