Ability To Turn Off The Chat During The Game

PsychicRX

To The Support Team of Pokemon TCGO:

I would like to suggest an additional feature as a toggle button that allows players to turn off the chat during the game. In other words, the other party won't be able to send him/her messages anymore during the game.

The reason why i am requesting this feature is because some players are ridiculously annoying and few are even rude and without manners. Some even use abbreviated cursing words during the game and that is really offending to many players on here independent of their age.

Turning off the chat during the game will prevent those players from chatting during the game with the other party.

I hope you take my suggestion into consideration during the next upcoming updates.

Thanks a lot!

Hello PsychicRX,

Thank you for your suggestion! I have passed it along to the development team.

In the meantime, you may want to make use of the block a player / report features if anyone is behaving inappropriately. :)

Thanks!

I do not appreciate this option. This is an online game to be played with other people, and thus you should always be able to talk with your opponent. Its the worst feeling when you're playing an online competitive game and the opponent wont even talk to you. Its no better than playing with a Computer AI, some lifeless opponent just going through the motions.

Change the "wont talk" part into "can't talk" and we have an even worse situation.

^ What he said. It's horrible when I try to make some small talk and opponent just ignores. If someone is rude you can always leave chat un-opened, or as Prof. Jube suggested report/ignore.

I'd even suggest to make chat slightly more accessible and not having to click on it to see it. I saw that previous version of game had it solved quite better. It's MMO game after all, and chat is supposed to be the staple of the game. Disabling chat is not dealing with problem of rude players, but rather ignoring it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have something relevant to say and I don't think it'd make much sense to make an entire new one.

Anyway, I think that the addition of this feature would be great. I would personally enjoy the game much more if I could disable chat. In my case, however, I'm simply not comfortable with small talk, but I don't want to feel rude by rejecting it. I would suggest that there be some kind of indicator that the player has their chat disabled to avoid misunderstandings.

In response to MomiMomiMomiji, I disagree that a human opponent with chat disabled would feel like a computer AI. Human opponents have unique decks and strategies. When you fight a human opponent, you know that they are trying to find a way to outwit and defeat you; in return, you attempt to use strategy to outwit and defeat them. Computer opponents, on the other hand, have fixed decks and strategies. Even without chat enabled, a human opponent feels very different from a computer, and they definitely play very differently.

I also disagree that the chat is necessary just because the game is a multiplayer online game. Most matches in online strategy games that I've seen or participated in don't feature a lot of small talk between the opposing sides. I would agree that a chat system is very important in a social MMO or an MMORPG, but not so much in a strategy-centric game. Blizzard's Hearthstone is an example of an online card game which is very popular despite its complete lack of a chat system. (players can still chat with pre-determined emotes, however)

Some players play this game for the strategy, while others may play it to collect the cards, and others still may like the social aspect. For me and others like me, the social aspect gets in the way of the strategy and cards, making it difficult to enjoy the game.

In short, the ability to disable chat would not detract from the game at all. It would VERY MUCH APPRECIATED by players who are uncomfortable with small talk or players who simply do not wish to chat.

If there are people who are somehow uncomfortable when denied the ability to chat with others, then there could be an option to only find matches with other players who have chat enabled.

Please consider adding this feature! It would make me and many other players very happy! Also, I'm sorry that this is such a HUGE POST but I care very much about this!

WOW I feel like a fool! Thank you very much for that though!! I think it would be nice if those settings were a bit easier to find, maybe with a link in the Pokemon TCGO client, or something. Either way, thanks again!

Archived