Feedback + What I would like to see in the future

Chris2856RH

I want to start off by saying that i've played almost 6 thousand games now on PTCGO over the span of about 21 months. I started playing as soon as the client became available for Macs back in Nov 2012.

Some general feedback from my experiences

What i've enjoyed:

- How fun the game is. I collected and played the ptcg during the base set era. I also got back into the game during the DP era, but had to stop due to life constraints. I discovered the PTCGO a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. You have done a wonderful job at making the trading card game a fun experience for many of us who have been around since the beginning.

- How I can (and have) played against a variety of opponents, many of who are top-notch notable figures in the game. The competitive nature of PTCGO exists and it has been fun. Winning against the top players that I have encountered has been a rewarding experience as a player.

What I have disliked:

- The major changes to the interface and layout. A huge change occurred earlier this year and I felt like it was very unnecessary. I saw someone from Pokemon state on here that it was due to community feedback and everything else. I was left scratching my head wondering where this feedback was. When I was directed to the thread that contained this supposed feedback, I found it to be consisted of only a few posters saying what they wanted…but was it really worth scrapping the old yellowish battle interface? I still dislike the new look and I know that it will not get changed back. However, my suggestion would be to simply ask the community or take a poll on any MAJOR changes before implementing them in the future. I never heard anyone complain about the battle interface…and then it gets completely remodeled with (in my opinion) an inferior look due to angle, graphics, hand positioning, ect.. It was quite frustrating to see this as a serious player who was content with the game at the time.

- The free packs for logging on and the new prize wheel. I know this might be an unpopular opinion because everyone loves free stuff, right? I don't like it because I feel that it diminishes the game in a way to make it less serious. I think a lot of new players see this and think "Why spend money on packs/codes in real life when I can just mess around on here as I get free stuff?" The prize wheel specifically encourages people to play for a bit in Ranked mode and quit prematurely during a match in order to "farm" for packs and other stuff that they really shouldn't be getting. PTCGO is free to play and thats great. Players have the opportunity to get free stuff if they complete certain things. They can play the trainer challenges to get additional packs OR they can play tournaments. Awarding free packs for simply logging in or from a prize wheel (especially after losing) is bad for the game. It was an optimistic idea, but it has had unintended consequences.

- The cartoony look that was implemented in the major game update that I mentioned in my first "dislike" point. Please make a feature that allows you to turn this off or something. I don't need Cammie telling me that my opponent has 15 seconds to act. A simple message telling me that would be just fine. I realize the game is made with younger kids in mind, but there should be an option to turn this off for us older players.

What I would like to see in the future. (Lets just say in the next year as a general timeframe):

- Large scale tournaments that are comparable to the system in the real life game

- Some sort of ranking system

- Spectator mode that allows people to watch others play

The potential for PTCGO in the future is incredible. Please take advantage of it. These changes should be very reasonable to implement within the next year. That shouldn't be asking too much considering that the game has now been out for 2 years (after that initial remake where PTCGO went down for the whole summer).

Thanks to everyone who read this!

I want to start off by saying that i've played almost 6 thousand games now on PTCGO over the span of about 21 months. I started playing as soon as the client became available for Macs back in Nov 2012.

Some general feedback from my experiences

What i've enjoyed:

- How fun the game is. I collected and played the ptcg during the base set era. I also got back into the game during the DP era, but had to stop due to life constraints. I discovered the PTCGO a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. You have done a wonderful job at making the trading card game a fun experience for many of us who have been around since the beginning.

- How I can (and have) played against a variety of opponents, many of who are top-notch notable figures in the game. The competitive nature of PTCGO exists and it has been fun. Winning against the top players that I have encountered has been a rewarding experience as a player.

What I have disliked:

- The major changes to the interface and layout. A huge change occurred earlier this year and I felt like it was very unnecessary. I saw someone from Pokemon state on here that it was due to community feedback and everything else. I was left scratching my head wondering where this feedback was. When I was directed to the thread that contained this supposed feedback, I found it to be consisted of only a few posters saying what they wanted…but was it really worth scrapping the old yellowish battle interface? I still dislike the new look and I know that it will not get changed back. However, my suggestion would be to simply ask the community or take a poll on any MAJOR changes before implementing them in the future. I never heard anyone complain about the battle interface…and then it gets completely remodeled with (in my opinion) an inferior look due to angle, graphics, hand positioning, ect.. It was quite frustrating to see this as a serious player who was content with the game at the time.

- The free packs for logging on and the new prize wheel. I know this might be an unpopular opinion because everyone loves free stuff, right? I don't like it because I feel that it diminishes the game in a way to make it less serious. I think a lot of new players see this and think "Why spend money on packs/codes in real life when I can just mess around on here as I get free stuff?" The prize wheel specifically encourages people to play for a bit in Ranked mode and quit prematurely during a match in order to "farm" for packs and other stuff that they really shouldn't be getting. PTCGO is free to play and thats great. Players have the opportunity to get free stuff if they complete certain things. They can play the trainer challenges to get additional packs OR they can play tournaments. Awarding free packs for simply logging in or from a prize wheel (especially after losing) is bad for the game. It was an optimistic idea, but it has had unintended consequences.

- The cartoony look that was implemented in the major game update that I mentioned in my first "dislike" point. Please make a feature that allows you to turn this off or something. I don't need Cammie telling me that my opponent has 15 seconds to act. A simple message telling me that would be just fine. I realize the game is made with younger kids in mind, but there should be an option to turn this off for us older players.

What I would like to see in the future. (Lets just say in the next year as a general timeframe):

- Large scale tournaments that are comparable to the system in the real life game

- Some sort of ranking system

- Spectator mode that allows people to watch others play

The potential for PTCGO in the future is incredible. Please take advantage of it. These changes should be very reasonable to implement within the next year. That shouldn't be asking too much considering that the game has now been out for 2 years (after that initial remake where PTCGO went down for the whole summer).

Thanks to everyone who read this!

Here here, yeah i think the free packs from the wheel is bad, but free packs from the tournament are okay, for the prize wheel the promos and the tokens are good enough for me.;)

I disagree with your point about free packs, but I understand your argument about conceding every 3 minutes for a chance at a pack, but removing them altogether? No, and here's why;

They are a rare prize. They aren't very common, in fact, getting the mystery prize is already only a 1/6 chance (I think), and even then, packs are very unlikely to appear. I normally win a pack every 20 games, with each game taking anytime between 10-15 minutes on average. That means I can potentially win a pack every 5 hours, and that's assuming I game for 5 hours straight.

Let's also examine the benefit free packs can have on new players, younger players, or for players that cannot buy packs very frequently; it evens the playing field just a small amount. Is it fair that, say, an 8 year old spends all of his pocket money on Pokemon cards, every dime he has, and yet only gets 3 packs worth every few weeks? Is it fair that a similarly aged child can have a massive advantage over him simply because he gets more money from his parents? This isn't the real life tcg, you can't just spend $30 buying the exact cards you need for a deck from a website. You need to pull them from packs. Adding the packs on the mystery prize was a genius move as it gave players who couldn't spend too much money the extra opportunity to earn their packs.

Now for my last point; excitement. Who doesn't like opening a free pack? Who doesn't enjoy that moment when a Plasma Blast, or Legendary Treasures etc. expansion appears? Especially when that pack contains an EX. I've bought a lot of packs in my time, a lot of promo tins, and even then, I still prefer the free packs because it feels like I earned it.

Earned it... This is the part I agree with you on. Too many players are quitting so that they can get a free spin, so I propose this; A full match must be played in order to get a spin, whether you win or lose. If someone concedes for whatever reason, they don't get a spin, if your opponent concedes, you still do.

May I also point out that all boosters are already free anyway? You pay for the cards, not the code, so why shouldn't you be able to earn those packs?

Just my two cents.

Why is making a game less serious a bad thing? Games aren't supposed to be serious, especially games made with kids in mind.

Getting free packs is quite easy now, yes. But when you consider there are many hundreds/thousands of cards to collect (number only growing with every expansion), getting everything without paying would still require a lot of time and effort (also it's considerably harder for a new player to get started collecting than it is for someone who's been playing for months/years now).

Also, why would anyone who doesn't already play the game in real life pay for real packs anyway? I never played the card game in real life because I know no one who I'd be able to play with. Getting real cards would be a waste. Buying codes in bulk off the internet is way cheaper and won't clutter my home with more useless stuff. What they need to do is sell stuff in the TCGO store for real money that isn't a lot more costly than getting codes online. Then people can choose to grind for their cards, or spend some money and get stuff instantly.

I play ranked all the time, and I never see players just quitting matches out of nowhere solely to farm packs.

Hi Chris2856RH,

I'll submit your input to the Dev team for review and leave your thread open for discussion in the meantime.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! :)

Archived