Stadium Cards need an Undo Button

Mesden

Just finished a Game where I was winning, but I had a large handful of cards in my hand, a poisoned Pokemon and a Virbank Gym. Misclicked the Gym instead of the one next to it and couldn't return it to my hand.

Fix this please.

Hiya,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll send the info up through the channels for review! Feel free to add more to this topic if you think of something.

Thanks again!

I believe they don't because their effects can alter game play immediately, by discarding another player's Stadium, or the effect of said Stadium causing irreversible effects without extended recording of everything that was in play previously. For example, in Furious Fists there is a Stadium that increases Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon HP by 30 (or take Aspertia City Gym as an example since that exists and increases Colorless Pokemon HP by 20). A Pokemon with 130 HP Normally, 160 with the Stadium, and say 14 Damage Counters (140 damage) will be knocked out if a new Stadium were played. This would cause not only that Pokemon and all cards attached to be discarded but will also cause a prize card to be seen and taken. There is no easy way to "Undo" such an effect that was caused by playing a Stadium (accidentally or not).

I don't think this can really be instantiated without messing with the game state without putting exceptions on many Stadiums and situations that could occur. Stadiums and Items don't get "undo" buttons because they instantly change the game state in some way. Items, especially ones that let you search your deck, obviously shouldn't be undone since the damage is already done: you've seen your deck. There are many cards that would be poor to give an option to "undo" that it shouldn't be one.

If anything, put in an option that forces confirmation of all actions if a player is too much of a butterfingers to select it properly in the first place. This is the only thing I can see working in this situation.

"Request Confirmation when Stadiums are played", "Request Confirmation with Items are Played", etc. Put options like these in the game option list INSTEAD of adding "undo" buttons. I also say make them as OPTIONS because it would be annoying if these were forced upon all players when the game is already click-heavy as it is, as this is only an option for people who make mistakes way too often.

I agree that this is needed. The options choice is one way to go. Another one is where tools/item/stadium/energy cards are used and they would create an immediate affect when played, that maybe even a popup saying this will cause xxx to happen, are you sure you want to do this. Or something along those lines, even a count down timer before affects become effective.

Except its not needed. What's needed is for you to not make so many mistakes. If you specifically need confirmations before activating your cards, then that is what's needed. If its a problem with the interface that causes you to easily make mistakes, then the interface needs to be fixed.

There shouldn't be "undo" buttons in the first place. Chess rules. The moment you let go of your piece, the move is confirmed and there's no taking it back. Should be no different here, mistake or not.

Yes, but chess is just one little piece on the board. Pokemon has many pieces involved. Also, in regards to online you are dealing with a system that glitches and even a mouse that doesn't always click where you intended for it to do. It's not like the actual card game where you have the cards in hand. Online play involves so much more parts that aren't under your personal control that are impacted by just a single mouse click, that can't be undone.. That is what we are referring to...

Except I've never had an issue in the year i've been on this where the mouse doesn't click where intended, so that would be an issue on your end.

[Content removed - all posts must remain constructive and on-topic. -Prof. Poplar]

Also, as already explained, because there are so many parts that occur when you even perform ONE action, you CANNOT have an undo button for those actions.

The best you can get is a "confirmation" request everytime you do something.

Hello trainers!

It's great to see such passionate conversation here, but let's make sure that it remains constructive and respectful of all players involved.

Thanks for your understanding! :)

I believe they don't because their effects can alter game play immediately, by discarding another player's Stadium, or the effect of said Stadium causing irreversible effects without extended recording of everything that was in play previously. For example, in Furious Fists there is a Stadium that increases Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon HP by 30 (or take Aspertia City Gym as an example since that exists and increases Colorless Pokemon HP by 20). A Pokemon with 130 HP Normally, 160 with the Stadium, and say 14 Damage Counters (140 damage) will be knocked out if a new Stadium were played. This would cause not only that Pokemon and all cards attached to be discarded but will also cause a prize card to be seen and taken. There is no easy way to "Undo" such an effect that was caused by playing a Stadium (accidentally or not).

I don't think this can really be instantiated without messing with the game state without putting exceptions on many Stadiums and situations that could occur. Stadiums and Items don't get "undo" buttons because they instantly change the game state in some way. Items, especially ones that let you search your deck, obviously shouldn't be undone since the damage is already done: you've seen your deck. There are many cards that would be poor to give an option to "undo" that it shouldn't be one.

If anything, put in an option that forces confirmation of all actions if a player is too much of a butterfingers to select it properly in the first place. This is the only thing I can see working in this situation.

"Request Confirmation when Stadiums are played", "Request Confirmation with Items are Played", etc. Put options like these in the game option list INSTEAD of adding "undo" buttons. I also say make them as OPTIONS because it would be annoying if these were forced upon all players when the game is already click-heavy as it is, as this is only an option for people who make mistakes way too often.

I think the undo buttons should exist. i myself am sometimes impatient and click really quickly which can result in me clicking a wrong card...

i dont think you can compare it with chess like you do, because if you click here once things can happen but in chess you dont automatically make a move if you touch a piece...

You say that you want this Undo button to exist, Royalduke. If so, I want you to propose a way to do this without some sort of excessive programming to check everything that could possibly happen in regards to playing this new Stadium, in order to avoid situations like what I posted in the first paragraph.

As I said, the easiest and arguably best way is for them to have in the Options Settings to have Confirmations when you play specific cards (Energy, Trainers, etc).

The other alternative is for you to steady your hands and not make mistakes. I don't see how I don't have these issues yet everyone else does.

But again, tell me, based on any knowledge of programming you might have, what would be the best way to program an undo button yet still avoid situations like Aspertia City Gym and the new Training Center Stadium? Remember, all Stadium cards apply immediately, regardless of what they do, so in that essence have already affected the field in some way, and are not so easily undone.

It doesn't matter how much people want it if its completely impractical to implement.

The rules should be exactly the same as in-person. If you are allowed to 'undo' a Stadium in live play, then there should be an undo in the game. If not, there shouldn't. If it is an interface problem, then the programmers in time should fix it. If it is a matter of player mistake, that is their problem. Once again, if it is hard to select, that is an interface issue.

If that's the case, then nothing in this game should be automated, because real life isn't automatic. The game should force players to move individual cards to the discard if a Pokemon is Knocked Out instead of it letting you automatically. The game should let you put each Damage Counter on a Pokemon when you say you're going to perform an attack instead of it doing it automatically. It should force players to remember counters and to remember to flip coins if their Pokemon is Burned or Confused like in real life instead of the game bringing up messages to remind players about it.

Steve2jerry2, this is why you can't have it that way. The game is partly automated and some actions that occur automatically cannot be simply "undone". Remember that in my scenario with where changing the Stadium ended up Knocking Out a Pokemon. Once that Stadium is played, the game automatically Knocks Out the Pokemon, brings a new one to the Bench, and gives a player a Prize. How do you "undo" that? Again, everyone here says "they want something", but they don't give a well thought out way to do it without messing things up. Please, explain how you would have an undo button work here.

While I agree Energy under Pokemon might be hard to select, its not impossible unless you got the shakes. Stop rushing.

If you want this game to have no cards or their effects programmed in and force players to do everything manually, then you can wish for that. Otherwise, because this game is partly automated when it comes to its effects, you need to work within that. You can't have an undo button for actions that should not and cannot be undone.

Yes, I understand, but selecting a card to play and declaring that you are playing it is what we are talking about. Selecting a stadium to play, once you click on that card is the same as in person moving it to the center of play. Obviously automated things need to happen, but there has to be a point where the player makes a conscious decision to play something and cannot undo it, the same as in person.

Then what is wrong with a confirmation instead of an "undo" button? Everyone talks about why they want an undo button, but there are a lot of things that CANNOT be undone.

A confirmation to play cards takes care of everything quickly and easily and for every and all situations.

You say that you want this Undo button to exist, Royalduke. If so, I want you to propose a way to do this without some sort of excessive programming to check everything that could possibly happen in regards to playing this new Stadium, in order to avoid situations like what I posted in the first paragraph.

As I said, the easiest and arguably best way is for them to have in the Options Settings to have Confirmations when you play specific cards (Energy, Trainers, etc).

The other alternative is for you to steady your hands and not make mistakes. I don't see how I don't have these issues yet everyone else does.

But again, tell me, based on any knowledge of programming you might have, what would be the best way to program an undo button yet still avoid situations like Aspertia City Gym and the new Training Center Stadium? Remember, all Stadium cards apply immediately, regardless of what they do, so in that essence have already affected the field in some way, and are not so easily undone.

It doesn't matter how much people want it if its completely impractical to implement.

all stadiums maybe in effect immediatly but they do not directly change anything that can't be changed back without consequense.

aspertia gives +20 HP, but it won't bring back KO'ed pokemon beacause of it, nor will any of them get KO'ed when you remove it from play again. the thing is that you can only undo 1 step at any time which prevents weird things from happening. (naturally you can't undo things like lasers or catchers with flips that could result in different outcomes, or search cards wich allow you to see into your deck or something like that but stadiums and or tools can't have immediate effects right after putting them down so that should be reversible..

also the thing you said in a later post about confirmations before is just a terrible idea... (im sorry but it is) the game is already click heavy and with anymore of that you will run into the old windows problem of: are you sure you want to do that?

are u sure about being sure?

are u sure about being sure about being sure?

are u sure about beingsure about being sure about being sure?

and will just make turn unnecessarily time consuming.

Doesn't matter how click heavy it because I already suggested this would be an option for you users who can't control your hands. Again, I do not have issues playing Stadium Cards (or any other cards), so I do not need this "undo" button, nor do I need confimations.

Undo buttons will never work without putting a ton of special rules and program checks for every situation that changing a Stadium (or any other card) would cause even a little change to the field.

Twist it around where an opponent played another Stadium Card and lost the +30 HP which killed one of his Pokemon (not because he mistakenly played the Stadium, but because he didn't realize it would kill his Pokemon.) Should he be able to undo that action too because it was a misplay that was HIS fault rather a "misclick"? Undo buttons will create unfair situations when people do things purposely while not realizing its effects.

No matter what you say here, the only answer is to have an Option in the Game's Options to allow yourself to have "Confirmations" for your actions, whether you like it or not.

The only other options would be to make the interface more friendly for clicking on things, but cards in your hand is very easy to click on each card. Clicking on Energy on a Pokemon is a little more difficult and that should be changed. Only other suggestion to you is to stop rushing and not make mistakes.

i dont think there should be a undo or a confirmation bottom on stadium and trainer cards.. you just gotta look where you click and learn how to control a mouse xD its not the game fault you just click on every thing just because you are inpatiant and its not its fault either that you dont look what you click on before you do it.

Doesn't matter how click heavy it because I already suggested this would be an option for you users who can't control your hands. Again, I do not have issues playing Stadium Cards (or any other cards), so I do not need this "undo" button, nor do I need confimations.

Undo buttons will never work without putting a ton of special rules and program checks for every situation that changing a Stadium (or any other card) would cause even a little change to the field.

Twist it around where an opponent played another Stadium Card and lost the +30 HP which killed one of his Pokemon (not because he mistakenly played the Stadium, but because he didn't realize it would kill his Pokemon.) Should he be able to undo that action too because it was a misplay that was HIS fault rather a "misclick"? Undo buttons will create unfair situations when people do things purposely while not realizing its effects.

No matter what you say here, the only answer is to have an Option in the Game's Options to allow yourself to have "Confirmations" for your actions, whether you like it or not.

The only other options would be to make the interface more friendly for clicking on things, but cards in your hand is very easy to click on each card. Clicking on Energy on a Pokemon is a little more difficult and that should be changed. Only other suggestion to you is to stop rushing and not make mistakes.

-__- it has nothing to do with control over hands.

a mistake is easily made especially in a game as glitchy and bugy as this one.

besides there are no situations that can do anything you mentioned.

"stop rushing and make no mistakes" is just pointless to say mistakes will always be made and rushing doesnt always have to have something to do with it.

after all its a foreign interface wich will always complicate matters no matter what and thus should be compensated for with a feature like an undo button.

i dont think there should be a undo or a confirmation bottom on stadium and trainer cards.. you just gotta look where you click and learn how to control a mouse xD its not the game fault you just click on every thing just because you are inpatiant and its not its fault either that you dont look what you click on before you do it.

you just stay out of this... there wasnt a single argument in your post and you have played for only a month or less so i doubt you can put in any constructive points

RoyalDuke, I'm playing the same game as you are. The game has NEVER... NEVER.... never bugged in a way that it played cards without me wanting to play them.

So don't say that the game glitched or bugged that forced you to play your stadium card. It never happened.

And again, you're another person who does not clearly state how an undo button would work that would avoid all the problems that I listed without an ton of unnecessary code that a confirmation button doesn't do. I've clearly explained why an undo button does not work and a perfect alternative. Where's your counterargument? Until one of you guys can think of that, this "Undo Button" cannot exist.

I agree there could be a better interface or ways to make it harder to make mistakes with a mouse, I also like the idea of an Options for confirmations - if the programmers had time along with many other things they have. And I also do believe people have to have a point where they commit their actions. It is a tough one to solve. Good luck!

Archived