Packs: opening vs trading

RoyalDuke

Hello everyone,

I have no doubt that all of you that are reading this have noticed prices for cards (in packs) have gone up quite some bit lately.

To me it has reached a point where the value of opening packs comes really close to their trading value.

especially when it concerns packs like the LT or XY sets and now even FF.

(Some of) The trading threads are even asking for 2:1 rates on these sets.

So I'd like to hear some opinions on the following question:

Are packs still worth keeping or should we all just go and open them?

persumeably doing so (on a large scale) will also lower the prices of cards somewhat.

to me its like this atm:

XY,LT,COL,BW, EP - not worth trading, opent that thing.

FF, DREX, PF, HGSS-HSTRI(because of the crazy card values) DV - Greyzone might be worth opening depending on whom you buy from.

PB, NXD, DarkEX, NV, BC, PS - worth trading.

So what do you guys think?

let the discussion commence.

My reason for opening packs is to help my collection grow. Even cards that are considered junk by most people are useful to have extras of in my opinion. There's always new players joining the game that may be interested in these 'junk' cards and may even be willing to pay extra. Having packs is nice and all, but it never hurts to have a bunch of extra cards laying around either. :D

I personally think that the only packs worth trading are Flashfire because the rare cards on the set can be obtained easily. Any other pack is worth opening because you may get a Full Art Support or EX (Genesect and Virizion for example) that could nail you much more packs or could be a valuable addition to your deck.

heres my 2 sense anyways, in my opinion opening packs adds a different aspect of the game which will always be fun no matter what kind of pack ur opening :) but once it gets to this stage in the expansion right before new one comes out prices fluctuate like crazy. atm i open anything tht isnt lt/xy/ff but i only do this because my pack luck in this game is absoluitely crazy good. best advice would be to keep plasma freeze and blast and trade all other packs for when the new expansion comes out as pf and pb packs will hold great value even when FST comes out

Ill only Open packs I got great self- Luck with, for me, its FF and BC. first BC pack I opened, B- Kyurem EX. One time I traded 2 FF Packs, (Out of 4) The Others had FA Khanga and M- Charizard.

Personally I think the pack ratios on the trading forums are absolutely ridiculously inaccurate since they primarily just factor in supply and demand and that's practically it... The only packs that really are more accurate for being such a low price is LT and EP simply because LT has really easy pull rates, and EP has almost nothing in it that's worth value. That being said, I think that tournaments certainly contributed to the downgrade in value of packs, but it's not an issue in my opinion if people acknowledge the actual value of packs, and they don't post anymore tournaments that have 12 pack prizes (prices fluctuate like crazy at that point). I do use trading forums simply for a rough gauge of prices, but most actual prices come from experience in trading since most trading forums are trying to sell THEIR OWN CARDS which means they are selling at retail price TO MAKE PACKS, or else they wouldn't really be running a business. If they traded cards for their own prices, they wouldn't make any packs at all since they would sell them at the same exact price.

Supply/Demand is almost exclusively the only factor that I see these trading forums use (besides the examples I give that's as far as they go for prices), and I know that supply/demand is an extremely important factor in determining price, but it most certainly is not the ONLY factor in determining price. From my experience with pack trading ratios, I would say that XY/FF are nearly the same atm (XY might be a tiny bit less although it has good stuff, FF has a bit more good potential pulls), and that's primarily due to the fact that the last tournament held rewarded XY packs as prizes, and that sort of threw FF back into balance with the more recent sets instead of being so cheap. The most recent packs are usually the most stable forms of currency due to the constant flow of more packs being added into circulation, and the desire for players to open the new packs, this in turn stabilizes the price about half-way into the new set. I do agree though, that toward the end of the life-time of a set, the demand for the packs starts to die down, and the supply increases enough that it does create a drop in price for the newest currency. Usually packs are the most expensive upon initial release, or once they reach a certain age if they contain good cards while also maintaining legality in the current standard format (things like Plasma Blast for example tend to be 2X the worth of FF packs). Once a pack gets rotated out of play it doesn't see as much popularity due to the fact that it is exclusive to use in unlimited, but once the set ages further, its price increases once more and all the cards in the set of value determined by the majority of players then increase in price as well. Having access to good older cards like Primes for unlimited with relatively smaller supply (since the pack is old and accounts that had those old cards might have become inactive and there might not have been as many players playing back then) increase in price quite dramatically depending on the viability of the card. This is why we see something like Scizor Prime becoming more expensive than Virizion. Currently I think the prices can be quite inaccurate on some trading forums (just in general not picking on any specific one), but this is mainly due to the fact that they have to keep up with the current market to make sure they aren't getting scammed, which means their prices will tend to be a bit higher than the actual price you might be able to get it for in-game (since they are retailers of sorts). However, I don't think most pack conversions are accurate, but here is how I see it currently.

If I were to equate all packs to the value of Flashfire (FF being the base value at 1) I would say the following...

XY - 1:1 - FF (Can fluctuate a bit, but 1:1 is still a good price imo)

LT - 2:1 - FF (Pulls in LT are very easy to get, so this set isn't worth as much due to the low value of the cards)

PS - 1:1.5 - FF (older pack has pretty good pulls)

PF - 1:2 - FF (mainly due to the fact that SR Ultra Ball is 60 packs and this is the set it's in)

PB - 1:2 - FF (Very Strong pulls that are popular even now with Virizion and Genesect)

BC - 1:1.25 - FF (Mainly due to FA Keldeo)

DE - 1:1.25 - FF (Huge loss in popularity for Rayquaza due to Druddigon in the FF set, not as demanded anymore, but still has worth)

DEX - 1:1.75 - FF (Dark Explorers has FA Darkrai which is popular in many Yveltal decks).

NXD - 1:1.75 - FF (Mewtwo FA is quite expensive, and might get noticed with Mega Lucario's Weakness)

NV - 1:1 - FF (not a whole lot in noble victories, but still decent pulls that are currently legal particularly FA fliptini and Terrakion)

EP - 2:1 - FF (not really a lot of good pulls in this set imo)

BW - 1.5:1 FF (not a lot of good pulls here either plus the expansion itself is out of format)

These aren't all the sets, but the most common you will probably see (maybe you'll see some HGSS and Dragon's Vault, but I don't usually see it much personally if at all). Currently the best packs to open are PB, PF, NXD, and DEX due to the fact that Mewtwo and Darkrai both got reprinted in LT so they will remain in format (and quite popular probably) and they are both worth around 40 packs each. Plasma Blast is good to open due to the good possibility that it will remain in format (just my guess) and that Virizion and Genesect are very popular amongst Grass Archetypes. PF is good to open primarily due to the fact that SR Ultra ball is 60 packs, and is going to remain in format for a long time since it got a reprint in FF.

These pack ratios are just my opinion, and certainly they could be up for debate as whether or not they are more accurate, but I believe that they are probably very accurate currently.

Hello everyone,

I have no doubt that all of you that are reading this have noticed prices for cards (in packs) have gone up quite some bit lately.

To me it has reached a point where the value of opening packs comes really close to their trading value.

especially when it concerns packs like the LT or XY sets and now even FF.

(Some of) The trading threads are even asking for 2:1 rates on these sets.

So I'd like to hear some opinions on the following question:

Are packs still worth keeping or should we all just go and open them?

persumeably doing so (on a large scale) will also lower the prices of cards somewhat.

to me its like this atm:

XY,LT,COL,BW, EP - not worth trading, opent that thing.

FF, DREX, PF, HGSS-HSTRI(because of the crazy card values) DV - Greyzone might be worth opening depending on whom you buy from.

PB, NXD, DarkEX, NV, BC, PS - worth trading.

So what do you guys think?

let the discussion commence.

Duke,

Open that CoL? For real? It seems CoL is wanted though and the other packs you mentioned in the same line (XY, FF, LT, BW, etc.) are unwanted. Might make sense to trade them since they are wanted, instead of opening atm, since it's not like the other packs in the same line as mentioned. I could be wrong though, lol.

Personally I think the pack ratios on the trading forums are absolutely ridiculously inaccurate since they primarily just factor in supply and demand and that's practically it... The only packs that really are more accurate for being such a low price is LT and EP simply because LT has really easy pull rates, and EP has almost nothing in it that's worth value. That being said, I think that tournaments certainly contributed to the downgrade in value of packs, but it's not an issue in my opinion if people acknowledge the actual value of packs, and they don't post anymore tournaments that have 12 pack prizes (prices fluctuate like crazy at that point). I do use trading forums simply for a rough gauge of prices, but most actual prices come from experience in trading since most trading forums are trying to sell THEIR OWN CARDS which means they are selling at retail price TO MAKE PACKS, or else they wouldn't really be running a business. If they traded cards for their own prices, they wouldn't make any packs at all since they would sell them at the same exact price.

Supply/Demand is almost exclusively the only factor that I see these trading forums use (besides the examples I give that's as far as they go for prices), and I know that supply/demand is an extremely important factor in determining price, but it most certainly is not the ONLY factor in determining price. From my experience with pack trading ratios, I would say that XY/FF are nearly the same atm (XY might be a tiny bit less although it has good stuff, FF has a bit more good potential pulls), and that's primarily due to the fact that the last tournament held rewarded XY packs as prizes, and that sort of threw FF back into balance with the more recent sets instead of being so cheap. The most recent packs are usually the most stable forms of currency due to the constant flow of more packs being added into circulation, and the desire for players to open the new packs, this in turn stabilizes the price about half-way into the new set. I do agree though, that toward the end of the life-time of a set, the demand for the packs starts to die down, and the supply increases enough that it does create a drop in price for the newest currency. Usually packs are the most expensive upon initial release, or once they reach a certain age if they contain good cards while also maintaining legality in the current standard format (things like Plasma Blast for example tend to be 2X the worth of FF packs). Once a pack gets rotated out of play it doesn't see as much popularity due to the fact that it is exclusive to use in unlimited, but once the set ages further, its price increases once more and all the cards in the set of value determined by the majority of players then increase in price as well. Having access to good older cards like Primes for unlimited with relatively smaller supply (since the pack is old and accounts that had those old cards might have become inactive and there might not have been as many players playing back then) increase in price quite dramatically depending on the viability of the card. This is why we see something like Scizor Prime becoming more expensive than Virizion. Currently I think the prices can be quite inaccurate on some trading forums (just in general not picking on any specific one), but this is mainly due to the fact that they have to keep up with the current market to make sure they aren't getting scammed, which means their prices will tend to be a bit higher than the actual price you might be able to get it for in-game (since they are retailers of sorts). However, I don't think most pack conversions are accurate, but here is how I see it currently.

If I were to equate all packs to the value of Flashfire (FF being the base value at 1) I would say the following...

XY - 1:1 - FF (Can fluctuate a bit, but 1:1 is still a good price imo)

LT - 2:1 - FF (Pulls in LT are very easy to get, so this set isn't worth as much due to the low value of the cards)

PS - 1:1.5 - FF (older pack has pretty good pulls)

PF - 1:2 - FF (mainly due to the fact that SR Ultra Ball is 60 packs and this is the set it's in)

PB - 1:2 - FF (Very Strong pulls that are popular even now with Virizion and Genesect)

BC - 1:1.25 - FF (Mainly due to FA Keldeo)

DE - 1:1.25 - FF (Huge loss in popularity for Rayquaza due to Druddigon in the FF set, not as demanded anymore, but still has worth)

DEX - 1:1.75 - FF (Dark Explorers has FA Darkrai which is popular in many Yveltal decks).

NXD - 1:1.75 - FF (Mewtwo FA is quite expensive, and might get noticed with Mega Lucario's Weakness)

NV - 1:1 - FF (not a whole lot in noble victories, but still decent pulls that are currently legal particularly FA fliptini and Terrakion)

EP - 2:1 - FF (not really a lot of good pulls in this set imo)

BW - 1.5:1 FF (not a lot of good pulls here either plus the expansion itself is out of format)

These aren't all the sets, but the most common you will probably see (maybe you'll see some HGSS and Dragon's Vault, but I don't usually see it much personally if at all). Currently the best packs to open are PB, PF, NXD, and DEX due to the fact that Mewtwo and Darkrai both got reprinted in LT so they will remain in format (and quite popular probably) and they are both worth around 40 packs each. Plasma Blast is good to open due to the good possibility that it will remain in format (just my guess) and that Virizion and Genesect are very popular amongst Grass Archetypes. PF is good to open primarily due to the fact that SR Ultra ball is 60 packs, and is going to remain in format for a long time since it got a reprint in FF.

These pack ratios are just my opinion, and certainly they could be up for debate as whether or not they are more accurate, but I believe that they are probably very accurate currently.

If BW - 1.5:1 FF is true, I think I would trade you FF packs for BW packs, and I would even do 1:1 ratio to be nice. :) I would even trade other packs for BW at 1:1 ratio I think. Let me know if you're interested, thanks :) (I just value BW more, but I could be an oddball, if so, take advantage of me) :) (cause like you said, each of us value stuff differently)

Duke,

Open that CoL? For real? It seems CoL is wanted though and the other packs you mentioned in the same line (XY, FF, LT, BW, etc.) are unwanted. Might make sense to trade them since they are wanted, instead of opening atm, since it's not like the other packs in the same line as mentioned. I could be wrong though, lol.

well the col is in that list for a different reason, i placed it there because a lot of the col cards have insanely high values... even the commons/uncommons. so as a result i thought the value of the contents might be higher than the pack itself (a lot of people ask 1-2 packs even for the worst old cads)

i could be wrong. but that was my view

The regular Col packs seem to carry a value of 10+ packs each generally (I have seen some offer even more in card value for them). The cards within the pack won't equal that total unless you can pull an SL Pokemon/CL Energies which have a very high rarity of at least 1-in-20 packs if not more. As such I would say that they aren't worth opening particularly unless you wanted desperately some of the cards from that particular set (even then it would be easier to trade the packs for them due to their high demand).

Archived