Need Help Improving my Deck

Mesden

It works pretty well when my opponent draws Pokemon-Ex. If I use the Colorless with my Fairy Energies/Stadium, retreating makes it a breeze, but I'm barely using Venusaur or Chesnaught. I have a ton of cards in my deck to help me pull out Evolutions, but I'm either not drawing the Trainers or I'm not drawing Ivysaur/Quilladin in-time for them to be of much use.

I think the biggest issue I'm having is with my Trainers. I'm also relying on drawing Special Energies to be able to Pyror or Sigilyph, who are mainly there to protect from Pokemon-Ex.

Pokemon:

Bouffalant (Bouffer)

Snover

Abbomasnow

Sigilyph

Bulbasaur

Ivysaur

Venusaur

Miltank (X2) (Powerful Friends)

Chespin

Quilladin

Chesnaught

Litleo

Pyroar (Intimidating Mane)

Trainer Cards:

Super Rod

Hypnotic Laser

Potion (X2)

Evosoda (X2)

Escape Rope (X2)

Ultra Ball

Poke Ball

Level Ball

Crushing Hammer (X2)

Great Ball

Enhanced Hammer

Cilan (X2)

Hooligans Jim & Cas

Colress

Ghetis

Pokemon Center Lady

N

Lysandre

Professor Juniper

Pokemon Fan Club

Fairy Garden (Stadium)

Silver Bangle

Rocky Helmet

Rescue Scarf

Energy:

Blend Energy (X3) - GFPD

Colorless (Double) Energy (X3)

Rainbow Energy (X1)

Fairy Energy (X6)

Grass Energy (X4)

You seem to rely on Trainer cards which is something you should never do. I'm not speaking for the entire TCGO community but through personal experience (just to clear that up in case someone decides to jump down my throat): you should have at least 15 Trainer cards maximum in your deck and no more than 2 types of Pokémon and you have 4 in there which, if I'm honest, is a deck breaker.

First of all, you've got theme-deck levels of pokemon up in there! You definitely want to trim down your pokemon lines.

Bouffalant is a very powerful pokemon, even against non-EX foes. I would run multiple of him.

Pyroar has one of the most powerful abilities the game has ever seen, so you'll definitely want to run multiple of those. (Maybe 2 or 3)

Miltank is a great attacker, especially early game. However it becomes useless if you decide to remove your 3 stage lines.

Besides those, you should play whichever pokemon you like, but remember to keep your deck consistent.

As for trainer cards, despite what some people think, trainers can be the most important part of a deck!

Hypnotoxic Laser is a very powerful card, so you'll definitely want to add one or two more.

Try a combination of escape rope, and regular switch. Both are handy, but escape rope's effect is more situational.

Search cards are always a staple, so you'll want more than one of each type. Personally I think Ultra Ball​ is the most powerful of the lot, and I would suggest running 3 of them. (If you do, remove the heavy ball, and great ball.)

On to your supporters:

From the first glance, my biggest piece of advice is this: You need waaaay more supporters. Draw support is huge in this game, and will often make a break a game. N, Juniper, Bianca, Colress are all staples in any deck. I would suggest running no less than 3 N, and 2 Juniper. (More than that are perfectly acceptable)

Bianca is often overlooked in it's usefulness, but when you don't want to lose anything in your hand, Bianca is always a perfect choice. Personally I often use 2 whenever I add her. (Cheren can also be used alongside/instead of Bianca)

Cilan is a card I've always been on the fence about. Since the release of XY, I've stopped using him completely, in favour of Professor's letter. Although it draws one less energy, it doesn't use up your precious supporter for the turn allowing you to potentially draw even more energy. (Plus it can be used in conjunction with other supporters, such as Skyla)

Speaking of which... Skyla! This is easily one of the most powerful cards of the format. Skyla allows you to search for any trainer card in your deck, with no drawbacks. This is a card that has a place in every deck, and I would suggest running at least 2 of them. (Although 4 is equally acceptable)

I would suggest removing Jim&Cas, as the coin flip means this card is too unreliable to be used as your only supporter for the turn. There are always better cards to be played instead.

Your items aren't bad, but they could use a bit of tweaking. Since the release of muscle band, I would say that it has virtually outclassed silver bangle. Hitting for +20 damage on everything, is just plain better than hitting for +30 on only EX pokemon. Beyond that, your deck is already quite safe from EX foes because of Pyroar, Bouffalant, and Sigilyph.

I would add 2 muscle band, and remove the bangle.

Rescue scarf seems a bit redundant with super rod in the deck, so I would suggest removing it to free up space.

On to the energy!

Since you play Fairy Garden, you definitely need a source of fairy energy in this deck. However, since you don't have any other reason to play it I would highly suggest replacing them with 4x Prism energy, and 2-4 Rainbow energy.

All of these are simply suggestions, so you're more than welcome to dismiss any changes I've recommended. If you want any more help, feel free to message me in game. I'm always happy to help out!

You seem to rely on Trainer cards which is something you should never do. I'm not speaking for the entire TCGO community but through personal experience (just to clear that up in case someone decides to jump down my throat): you should have at least 15 Trainer cards maximum in your deck and no more than 2 types of Pokémon and you have 4 in there which, if I'm honest, is a deck breaker.

my opinion would be the opposite, i would advise you increase trainers till around the 30 mark. the pokemon line i would advise you run more copies of certain pokemon rather than more varieties. quality > quantity

... no more than 2 types of Pokémon and you have 4 in there which, if I'm honest, is a deck breaker.

I run 5 + colourless and doing pretty fine. Contrary to popular beliefs, running multiple types in same deck isn't that much of an issue since rarely any pokemon needs 2 of the specific energy and with rainbows I pretty much never have energy issues.

Are there any Pokemon I could add to a Grass deck (without having to reach for Stage 2) that would compliment adding additional counters to poison damage?

Are there any Pokemon I could add to a Grass deck (without having to reach for Stage 2) that would compliment adding additional counters to poison damage

You could play Virbank City Gym to boost poison damage on all pokemon, then add Virizion-EX to protect your own pokemon from poison damage

Archived