Plasma in the current meta

Psych0therapy

Hey all, I recently built myself a Plasma deck, and I need some advice on techs.

So my deck performs pretty well, except when I come up against Suicune, or Pyroar. I took some advice and teched in a Latias-EX to deal with these, but I found it almost useless. It doesn't fit in with the deck's acceleration, and it's easy for the opponent to take a huge lead while I spend 3 turns powering it up.

I've thought about using the plasma Kyurem to replace Latias, but then I essentially have an auto-loss to Pyroar.

I've also heard tell of the plasma Glaceon being used to counter Pyroar, but I just don't feel like it's strong enough to really handle Suicune. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

snorlax is meant to be the safegguard counter and latias for pyroar. Technically latias should be able to take its time with the energy attachments because pyroar can't hurt it, if they switch out something else to attack it then the lugia comes out to take 2-3 prizes. There is also the speed advantage with plasma such that you can hopefully collect some prizes before pyroar becomes an issue. my plasma deck only uses latias and red signal to get around pyroar, I'm planning to add maybe lysandre or catcher to help but still can't decide on either of them. Also I think running more than 1 ultra ball may be helpful to get latias out fast enough

the glaceon and umbreons have been mentioned as possible solutions as well but I'm a bit more reluctant to try that route just because I feel it would slow the deck down, and I don't feel plasma was meant to be played slow.

I wouldn't use a specific counter strategy against each deck you could possibly come up against. I had about 20 matches during the last alpha test tournaments - and I never met a guy who used Pyroar. So I wouldn't mind losing 1 of 25 due to the fact that my deck doesn't have counter options. I would rather pay attention to my own possibilities.

I wouldn't use a specific counter strategy against each deck you could possibly come up against. I had about 20 matches during the last alpha test tournaments - and I never met a guy who used Pyroar. So I wouldn't mind losing 1 of 25 due to the fact that my deck doesn't have counter options. I would rather pay attention to my own possibilities.

I think you're right. I don't often see Pyroar, but the loss to it was annoying. I might just remove Latias-EX, and accept the auto-loss. No deck can beat everything, and those that try just lose power against everything else

snorlax is meant to be the safegguard counter and latias for pyroar. Technically latias should be able to take its time with the energy attachments because pyroar can't hurt it, if they switch out something else to attack it then the lugia comes out to take 2-3 prizes. There is also the speed advantage with plasma such that you can hopefully collect some prizes before pyroar becomes an issue. my plasma deck only uses latias and red signal to get around pyroar, I'm planning to add maybe lysandre or catcher to help but still can't decide on either of them. Also I think running more than 1 ultra ball may be helpful to get latias out fast enough

Snorlax could be interesting, but I don't like having to attach the huge amount of energy needed for Snorlax to attack. I think I'm going to remove Latias-EX, and add 2 plasma Kyurem and accept the auto loss to Pyroar. thank you for your reply

I'll just say this about my experiences with Glaceon and Umbreon, two known "counters" (actually, the correct term is "checks") to Pyroar.

Glaceon's certainly nice to have in general due to Freeze Zone giving nearly everything free Retreat, but the big reason you're letting it take up space in your deck is because it can OHKO Pyroar. While it can do that, Pyroar can also OHKO Glaceon; after it KOs one, it gets revenge-KO'd by another. Added to that, Glaceon's Icy Wind takes three Energy (1 Water, 2 Colorless) to use, so before it gets set up to attack, it's in serious danger of being yanked up and KO'd, particularly since Pyroar decks often run plenty of Catchers and Lysandre these days (thank you, Michael Pramawat). With all that in place, I can only call Glaceon a shaky check.

Compared to Glaceon, Umbreon stands a better chance against Pyroar, since it can't be OHKO'd even with a Muscle Band due to Dark Shade. With 2 Deoxys-EX and a Muscle Band, Umbreon can KO Pyroar with Darkness Fang (which, unfortunately, has a similar Energy cost to Icy Wind). However, Umbreon slows the deck down much more noticeably, and outside of attacking Pyroar, it really only offers a bit of extra bulk, which isn't actually enough for the speed that Plasma decks typically need to maintain. While Umbreon's a better Pyroar check than Glaceon, it's also more cumbersome in general.

i used to run cobalion ex+ plasmabadge in my plasma deck it works really well against suicune, sigilyph and other things like it (scizor prime for example) but has some obvious problems with pyroar.

If you also run virbank like me, toxicroak ex might be a nice solution aswell (50 poison damage per turn is never bad)

i used to run cobalion ex+ plasmabadge in my plasma deck it works really well against suicune, sigilyph and other things like it (scizor prime for example) but has some obvious problems with pyroar.

If you also run virbank like me, toxicroak ex might be a nice solution aswell (50 poison damage per turn is never bad)

Cobalion could be interesting. I'd thought about running plasma badge with my Latias EX, and it didn't work too well for me in testing. Toxicroak/Virbank could work, but again, I don't care to lose speed to set up an alternate attacker. Thanks for the input though, and I might reconsider the plasma badge :)

What I'm trying out to respond to Pyroar is simply 2 Virbank Gyms and 4 Lasers, with 2 Shadow Triads to essentially give me up to 6 Lasers in a game (7 if you count Dowsing Machine). I'm just hoping the multitude of Lasers will outlast a Pyroar deck's Switches and such. It helps that the usefulness of Virbank Lasers isn't exclusive to Pyroar, unlike cards like Latias-EX (which people are only even considering these days because it hard-counters Pyroar).

What I'm trying out to respond to Pyroar is simply 2 Virbank Gyms and 4 Lasers, with 2 Shadow Triads to essentially give me up to 6 Lasers in a game (7 if you count Dowsing Machine). I'm just hoping the multitude of Lasers will outlast a Pyroar deck's Switches and such. It helps that the usefulness of Virbank Lasers isn't exclusive to Pyroar, unlike cards like Latias-EX (which people are only even considering these days because it hard-counters Pyroar).

I think this is simply the best option for Plasma decks now. I currently run Frozen City, (since the spread damage is just perfect for softening up everything the opponent has) but I might switch to Virbank just for this

Archived