New player. Which sets should I buy?

Slickriptide

I'm a new PTCGO member. I played the basic game back when it first came out years ago and my kids were into Pokemon. We even got hold of a lot of the Japanese cards back before they were being published in the US.

On a lark, I googled around and found out that there's an online game, and here I am. :)

I'm working through the NPC trainers right now, but I've seen where a person can buy all kinds of different code cards at various places.

If I was to buy a stack of code cards, which sets would it be best for a new player to focus on?

Thanks for any recommendations. :)

The Plasma expansions (Storm, Freeze, and Blast) have some pretty powerful cards in them (Team Plasma Beartic can knock out any EX card provided he only has 10HP left), and the EX cards in them (Virizion, Genesect, and B. Kyurem w/ Black Ballista, to name a few) are still in high demand after all this time so if you get a couple and feel like trading one you could get another 8-20 packs to open.

Of course if you do decide to run a Team Plasma deck then be on the look out for Silver Mirror as it renders TP Pokémon useless; however, that being said, hardly anyone has it in their decks these days.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Of course if you do decide to run a Team Plasma deck then be on the look out for Silver Mirror as it renders TP Pokémon useless; however, that being said, hardly anyone has it in their decks these days.

I run 2 in my Plasma Klingklang deck... :o

In my opinion, it's best if you buy code for Flashfire and then trade for what you need, but if you are planning on opening them, then I'll recommend either Plasma Blast for the high value Virizion-EX and Genesect-EX, or XY for some staples (Mainly Muscle Band)

legendary trasures has the highest rate of getting EXs and quite a few of the EXs are really useful like Keldeo EX and Darkrai EX

Archived