gift box promo cards

chronophysicist

I just received a HGSS promo card from the spinning wheel gift box.Not complaining about getting a free promo card from the gift box or anything, but I was under the impression that the game would be promoting cards that are actually still being used?

Guest ArtichokeCat

I don't know...I have one of every Promo Prime but can't use them as I don't have their pre-evolutions...

yes unlimited is a format in the TCGO it doesn't really make sense to encourage people to hold and play with old gen cards since it doesn't help sell physical packs and it just encourages people to play with old cards

I have all sorts of fun playing with all the cards, also, it doesn't really encourage everyone to play with the older cards. Most of these promos are poor by current standards and are mostly here for collections sake. I'm happy to get them regardless, and 99% of players are still going to be playing with their Yveltal/Raichu decks because they only want to win. Its really only 1% of the players who want to play for fun, so don't act like its causing players to play only in unlimited now.

I disagree with this topic as the promo releases will not deter anyone from playing outside of Standard. At best it'll get a player to try something new and different, like getting a new toy, but it wont last long. I have all sorts of Decks, both Standard and Unlimited, and I use them, so does that mean I'm splitting the playerbase, or splitting myself or something else that sounds weird?

Be happy with what you get. To me, these not only count as little toys to play with for a short bit, but they're also collectors items. The first promos we got were B&W Promos. I believe i'm the one that brought up the idea of adding unreleased HG/SS Promos too in one of my previous topic about the prize wheel, so the fact that its happening makes me happy enough.

There are plenty of more promos that could find their way there, not just HG/SS ones, but B&W ones, and even X/Y Promos in the future. Let the Promos on the wheel cycle a few times, and you'll eventually get all that you want that they plan on releasing.

[Content removed - all posts must remain constructive and on-topic. -Prof. Poplar]

The promos will continue to rotate, so be patient. Getting previously unreleased/unavailable content is very exciting, and there's so much in store for the future.

I've put this under the suggestions section because I wondered if the act to include old promos was part of the plan, because the way I understood things based on the stuff they've been doing (like not making older hgss packs available for purchase at store) was to push for newer generation cards to be used, so I thought it was a bit conflicting that they were still giving away old hgss promos. I posted it here for clarification (which still has not been addressed), not as a complaint

I do believe that it encourages people to play with old cards because then the demand for the cards are reignited when in fact it would have been slowly phased out as the players with older cards either got with the program and made more current decks, or quit playing the game entirely.

Am I happy that I got a free card? Yes

Am I happy that I got a hgss card? not really, but I'm not gonna argue with free stuff

I am not a player that played back in the hgss days so I literally have no interest in the cards of that generation, but if the game is actually still actively pursuing a path to bring back hgss cards in a large scale, then I have to reconsider what cards I should be getting, and so I started this topic.

so in essense I'm just asking for clarification on what the devs plan on doing. but your input is noted with thanks.

I am reasonably certain that the inclusion of HGSS promos is a response to feedback from people who wanted them to be available for the sake of collecting or for use in Unlimited format play. I, for one, find the inclusion of the Meganium, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr cards to be really cool! I seriously hope to get more than just the one Feraligatr that I've gotten in this week. I'm not exactly so lucky with the wheel.

I haven't played during the HG/SS period either (only started 1 and a half month ago), but I really like getting these old cards, even if they may be outclassed by newer cards and I can't even play them due to lacking the pre-evolutions.

[Content removed - all posts must remain constructive and on-topic. -Prof. Poplar]

Who here actually plays Unlimited so much that its all that play? Playing with the old cards is a passing interest for people with a lot of cards or the ability to get said cards.

It has nothing to do with you, or the people running PTCGO. No one's forcing a focus anywhere.

Obviously there's no interest in bringing back HG/SS anywhere by any "large scale", especially not by PTCG itself. If the PTCGO decides to put HG/SS packs back in the coin shop, then everyone will have access to them and you wouldn't have to worry about "reconsidering which cards to get". The only official thing going on this year is the extended format, which will be from B&W onwards, which does not include HG/SS.

Just because they're released previously UNRELEASED HG/SS promos as prizes does not mean they're gonna go back to focusing on HG/SS. I have no clue where you get that idea. Its simply a way to collect what was otherwise noncollectable. If people want to play with them, that's up to them, but no one's going to say "i'm only going to play unlimited" from now on because they're going to use a HG/SS deck and only use that deck. Also, Unlimited is an official format, just like Standard, so it shouldn't be ignored, but its clearly not focused by anyone. You act as though this is the first time people have started asking for "Primes" or "Legend" pieces, when they never stopped being something people traded for.

yes it has never stopped being traded, but its getting less as times go by, but if these hgss cards keep coming back wouldn't it cause that number to increase?

if you have more hgss cards would you not consider going back to playing with those cards? because I would

My understanding is there are a significant few players who are still actively playing in this unlimited format with hgss cards, which is very obvious when you look at some of the deck construction threads with decklists including cards that far back, and the fact that hgss decks are still often seen when playing in unlimited.

an analogy on why this feels weird for me:

Car company releases 2014 model car this year and is actively selling only 2014 models, and then suddenly makes special events where you can stand a chance to win limited edition models of their 2012-2014 cars. I mean, why would you do that? shouldn't you be only giving away limited edition 2014 cars instead? why would you still try to give people old stuff? are they trying to repopularise the 2012 model? are they trying to survey public interest in older models? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do this or that they must stop doing this, I just wanted understand why they decided on what they decided

Hello chronophysicist,

I'll submit your feedback regarding older promo cards to the Dev team for review. However, further discussion that is not constructive could result in the closing of this thread. Please remain polite when discussing differing viewpoints.

As always, we appreciate your input!

They did it, because I suggested it and they thought it was a good/fun/neat idea, so they did it. Is that not a good enough answer? Why must it have a deeper reasoning like "oh no, they're trying to turn the world of the PTCGO upside down" :)

Its that simple.

there should be a reason behind everything, otherwise they would just do everything ppl asked for because it was good/fun/neat. fact being they don't do that is why there is likely a reason behind this

I don't think its that simple. your explanation is like answering the question "why is the sky blue" with something like "because it just is". that's just not a good enough answer for me

Archived