Discussion: Two-way Trading

AnyRandomName

I was just curious about the PTCGO community's thoughts on two-way trading.

DESCRIPTION: Two-way trading is when a user concurrently posts two reflexive offers on the Public Trading Lists, which effectively swap cards in order to capture premium. For example, the first offer gives two trading card packs in exchange for Card #A while the second offer gives Card #A in exchange for three trading card packs. In effect, they are buying the card for two packs while concurrently selling the card for three packs, capturing the premium on the transaction.

PROS: One could claim that these users are market makers - they create both a supply and a demand for cards.

CONS: One could claim that these two-way offers are confusing, especially to newer users. While I have not been a victim to this practice, it is easy to see how someone could be confused by a two-way offer, thinking they are buying the card only to realize after-the-fact that they have sold it.

MY THOUGHTS: I've noticed this practice over the past week (yes, it has probably existed a long time before this) and now I've made it a personal priority not to buy from or sell to users engaging in this practice. Personally, I dispute the PRO-claim because PTCGO has many users possessing the same cards and thus a market already exists. Also, there exists trading companies that trade individual cards in exchange for packs (this is ONE-WAY trading which I'm okay with, not to be confused with two-way trading). In effect, I'm questioning the need for two-way trading practices.

REACTION: I would like to hear from other PTCGO members on this issue. IMPORTANT: Please do not list the names of any users that engage in two-way trading because I don't want this to become a personal issue or even a conflict. I just want reaction and feedback.

I agree very good idea. I hope the developing team does this.

Also they should add a filter button in which trades that onyl u can accept appear

I agree very good idea. I hope the developing team does this.

Also they should add a filter button in which trades that onyl u can accept appear

They actually do have this button, if you see the grey window with a red circle with a line through it, you don't have the required things to complete the trade.

I believe that two way trading does create a sort of equilibrium price for goods, but I think users (especially new ones) should refer to guides, because a fair number of the prices on two-way trading are already mildly overpriced. For the most part, if you see a card and you offer whatever the trading companies are offering, you will complete your trade.

Archived