Charizard EX CB clarification

Artemys_Knight

So on the TCG Online I do a strategy of Using Charizard EX's Combustion blast then next tun rush in with Keldeo (With a float stone) then retreat it and use Combustion Blast again on Charizard EX.

I recently tried this at a Tournament and I was told I can't use Charizard EX's Combustion blast after rushing in/retreating since I still used CB last turn. However I explained of how I executed this strategy online and it allowed me, they said it must be an error. Anyone here do something similar here that can clarify if this is allowed offline.

It's not even just charizard, unfortunately. There are loads of cards that have moves that specifically say that you can't use that specific move on your next turn. For some reason, while playing online, if you can execute a double switch the turn after using said attack, and get back to the card that used that attack (like charizard ex cb), the game will allow you to use the attack in successive turns even though the card literally states that this pokemon can't use this attack next turn. It's been a problem for me in the past when people take advantage of that mechanic, and in my opinion, it's something that should have been taken care of awhile ago.

Here's what it says in the rulebook, page 20, section "Full Details of Attacking," part D:

Apply any effects that might alter or cancel the attack. For example, if an attack that was used against your Pokémon last turn says, “If the Defending Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.” (But remember—if an Active Pokémon moves to the Bench, all effects of attacks go away. So if your Active Pokémon has changed since your opponent used the attack in this example, you don’t have to flip a coin.)

In other words, this is a legal maneuver. However, keep in mind that the professors that run the tournaments are only human and can make mistakes. Furthermore, if the tournament you attended wasn't TPCI sponsored, they could have had their own house rules that included a ban on that strategy, especially considering how controversial it is for some reason. If you want to continue playing that deck in tournaments, I would consider taking a copy of the rulebook along with you with that clause bookmarked.

I don't agree with the rule at all but thanks for clearing that up.

It's a tough strategy to deal with but it's not without its Achilles' Heel. My favorite way to squash it is Plasma Snorlax which keeps your opponent from being able to retreat when active but that's only effective if you're running a Plasma deck (although, if you are running a Plasma deck, Snorlax is a BOSS!). Probably the easiest way to stop that combo would be adding at least two megaphones to your deck which will dump the Muscle Bands off of Charizard as well as the Float Stones off of their Keldeo, forcing them to pay to retreat which can't be kept up for long.

Archived