Let "Gift Boxes" won on Roulette be standard tradable items.

darkwolf7786

Can it be changed so that these Gift Boxes are not automatically opened and could therefore be opened at a later time (in a similar way to how Booster Packs are opened, since that's how it seems to display it anyway).

If so, can they then be tradable among players? These seems like a good generic item that players can trade amongst themselves that aren't cards or boosters. Some players would probably like opening bunches of them while others probably would not want to risk their luck and offer them to get items they need.

The Mystery Box gives us a really great method to let players earn in-game items by simply playing matches. No need to redeem Trainer Tokens, Tournament Tickets, or Gems. To this end, we specifically designed the tools for this feature to easily allow us to adjust not only the rarity of the items in the box, but also the items that can be earned. The items in the Mystery Box this week may not be the same items that are in the Mystery Box next week.

We discussed allowing the unopened box to be tradable during the initial feature design discussion but ultimately the cons of doing so outweighed the pros. Either the system would need to track the contents list of each individual box at the point that it was earned, or the unopened box would have to always pull from the current Mystery Box contents list. The former would require a ton of engineering work to create a unique system ID for each iteration of the box contents, and some level of art work to help players differentiate between the boxes they were trading for. The latter had the potential to create a negative user experience ("Why did I get the November items when I opened a box that I earned in October?"), or lead to a skewed distribution of items as players hoarded boxes in an effort to maximize their chances at receiving a future item.

We're very happy with the initial implementation of the Mystery Box. Any tune-ups we do on this feature are likely to be with the number and type of items in the Mystery Box, and revisions to the drop rates for specific items.

Archived