Flygon’s Ability did not kick-in during this situation.

Spartanclone001

Flygon’s Ability did not kick-in during this situation.

My opponent attacked with his Donphan and my active was Poisoned from Hypnotoxic Laser. After my opponent attack then switched because of Donphan’s effect of attack, he promoted his Snorlax, and my active was knocked out. Then, I promoted my Flygon, and his Ability should have kicked-in, but it didn’t.

This happend again, and it appears to be due to my Pokemon being k.o'ed from a poison condition.

Hello again, to confirm, this bug appears to happen when a pokemon is k.o'ed from the poison condition.

Hi Spartanclone001,

This is not a bug, these cards are working as intended. Here is the situation, the game does not check for knockout until the end of the between turns phase. Your active Pokemon does not get knocked out then until the between turns ends, at which point you promote Flygon. However, Flygon is not your active Pokemon DURING the between turns and so it's ability does not trigger.

I hope this helps,

Prof_Warrax

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you are right because Flygon should have placed a damage counter on all of my opponents Pokemon and it did not.

Here's how the rulebook breaks down the order of operations (Page 15, section 4 Between-Turns Step):

Before the game continues to the next player, take care of Special Conditions in this order:

1. Poisoned 2. Burned 3. Asleep 4. Paralyzed

Then, apply the effects of any Abilities (or anything else that a card states must happen between turns). After both players have done these things, check to see if affected Pokémon were Knocked Out. Then, start the next player’s turn![/Quote]The last thing that is done between turns is checking to see if affected Pokémon were knocked out. Since this is after the part of the Between-Turns Step that abilities are applied, a newly promoted Flygon's ability won't take effect until the next the Between-Turns Step.

Archived