Question Regarding TPCI's Stance

donavannj

I have a simple question regarding TPCI's stance on giving unredeemed codes as prizes for a TCGO tournament organized and run by, say, a fan forum. I can't find anything stating an official stance on this. Is TPCI okay with fan forums giving unredeemed TCGO codes that members of that fan forum donate to be used as prizes? No entry fees are being demanded and it'd be up to the players if they wanted to give a code for the prize pool. It's also assumed that the member who donated the unredeemed code was not going to redeem the code anyway since they would be offering it up as part of a prize pool.

If the answer is no, what is the appropriate means to go about giving out TCGO codes as prizes?

I apologize if I've placed this question in the wrong place.

There is almost no way on the planet to stop such a thing and doing so would only be bad publicity.

You don't sign an EULA to get a code, so you are bound by nothing.

The EULA states:

In no event may you trade any virtual in-game items for “real” money, any other good or service outside of TCGO, or any promise to provide certain products or services whether in-game or outside the game.

A code doesn't become a "virtual in-game item" until it is redeemed in the Shop. Up until that point, we consider it a physical item. Here's a general, non-exhaustive guideline for the exchange of items related to the Pokemon TCG Online:

Allowed

• Using real world currency to purchase unredeemed codes
  • Exchanging real world items for unredeemed codes
  • Exchanging virtual in-game items from the Pokemon TCG Online for other virtual in-game items from the Pokemon TCG Online (booster packs, theme decks, cards, gameplay accessories, avatar items, etc.)

Not Allowed

• Exchanging real world currency for virtual in-game items
  • Exchanging virtual in-game items for unredeemed codes
  • Exchanging virtual in-game items for real world items
  • Exchanging virtual in-game items from the Pokemon TCG Online for virtual in-game items from another game

Hopefully this provides you with the answers you're seeking. If not, please let me know what needs clarification and I'll do my best to oblige. :)

Well, that helps narrow the scope of my question (part of the initial question was how to legally obtain the codes, which has been answered by the EULA stating they're treated like cards from the physical game until actually redeemed - I'm assuming that all donated codes will have been obtained through the official TCG merchandise).

Are unredeemed codes, being considered physical items per the EULA, okay to give as prizes for winning a tournament that uses TCGO as its means of play? Just want some clarification on this, just to establish whether TPCI considers winning or losing matches to be an "in-game item". The way I'm reading it as of this moment is that they're okay to give out as prizes for such tournaments, since my current understanding that match performance is not considered an "in-game item".

Archived