This game is terrible for new players

Ezekius

I just started playing Pokemon TCG online. It's the first time I have ever played this TCG, and from what I have seen so far it's next to impossible for new players to enter the game and expect to ever win.

I lose 99.5% of matches within the first couple turns, and there is nothing I can do about it. The acceleration available for people who have dumped tons of money into the game make it impossible to compete. All the starter decks are complete garbage.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I felt the same way when I first started playing the online game. EXs were killing me... and I wasn't really enjoying the PvP portion of the game.

My first step towards being more competitive online was buying a theme deck (at the time, I had to buy the deck in real life, because the option to buy the deck with trainer tokens did not yet exist), beating the trainer challenge to unlock all of the cards in the free decks, and redeeming all of the free codes that were available at the time. With just those cards, I was able to build a slightly less than perfect Tier-1 deck, which brought my win percentage up considerably.

Since then I have become one of those people you mention that has "dumped tons of money into the game", because I enjoy the game and wanted to have the option of playing more Tier-1 decks. And by "tons of money", I mean about $50. I'm sure there are people who've spent more, but that doesn't make their deck better than mine; They probably just have more Top Tier decks available to play than I do (and probably more full art and secret rare cards).

You can build a top tier deck for under $20 by purchasing pack codes on a well-known online auction site (I fear the wrath of the Moderators, so I won't say the name of the site). I usually purchase codes for about 25 cents a piece, so $20 would get 80 packs; With 80 packs, you can build Virizion/Genesect (72 packs), Plasma Kyurem (47 packs), or a number of other Tier-1 decks (so long as they don't need tropical beach [and let's be honest, none of them actually need Tropical Beach]).

If you prefer to only play with free cards, you could build a "round" deck using cards from the free decks, and by getting a few lucky pulls from free packs. It isn't Tier-1, but it is fairly competitive against a lot of decks.

Rather than Exploud round, a much better totally free deck would be a fairy+colorless toolbox deck, which can be built around 2 copies of the Resilient Life theme deck, beefed up by free unlocks. A turn 1 Geomancy into a turn 2 Rainbow Spear is actually quite strong, and a deck focusing on this tactic would give you a lot of wins. By the time you manage to grind through the entire trainer challenge for your 45 free packs, you shouldn't have a very long way to the 1000 tokens that the 2 theme decks will cost.

Starter decks are NOT complete garbage. They each contain some useful things, like N, Juniper, Level Ball, or Bouffalant, that can be incorporated into your actual play deck.

Also watch some videos by skilled players to jumpstart your playing skill. I have seen some players with big expensive cards play very poorly.

I found playing Themed Deck matches is the best way to get fair match-ups, since Themed Decks are all pretty balanced. If I want to play with my own deck I'll just go under Practice mode. There's still your fair share of try-hards who'll dump the field with EX's on turn 1, or play decks with insane synergy that they most likely netdeck'd off some site, but overall it's a much better way of getting decent match-ups, even when playing a pretty basic deck.

I just started playing Pokemon TCG online. It's the first time I have ever played this TCG, and from what I have seen so far it's next to impossible for new players to enter the game and expect to ever win.

So you want a Trading Card Game to not involve buying or trading for product? Think about how terrible that would actually make the game: "Hey, you spent the last six months learning how to play plus buying and trading for the cards you need. I just joined and can own you because its so easy to get cards." It is actually a bad thing for it to be too easy for a new player to win.

I'm a "budget" player, and right now that budget is $0 USD. I don't expect to have a top tier deck without spending any cash. The fact that I can play at all is still nice, and I can even earn tokens and unlock additional cards. In real life you've got to invest in this game if you want to seriously compete... and if you don't want to invest, just play for fun. The Theme deck matches (and even tournaments!) are good for this.

Do I wish it was easier to build into a competitive deck? Sure I do; like I said I'm a budget player so it isn't like I am playing with the decks I really want to play. Most of the issue is with stuff that no one here can do anything about; questionable card design/game direction decisions that original over in Japan. When they keep making Pokémon that can hit hard for the kind of set-up you can manage on your first turn (if going second) or second turn (if going first), it promotes shorter but often frustrating games.

I lose 99.5% of matches within the first couple turns, and there is nothing I can do about it. The acceleration available for people who have dumped tons of money into the game make it impossible to compete. All the starter decks are complete garbage.

Just do basic matches where the other person is using the same, people give free codes out aswell sometimes

Archived