Lopunny 'Big Jump' from Discard Pile

steve2jerry2

I assume this is the correct spot to talk about Individual Cards as well as decks.

I think the 'Big Jump' ability for Lopunny needs a correction in text, because technically, according to the ability you should be allowed to take Lopunny from the discard pile and put it into your hand:

"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand."

If this was allowed, it could be useful and added in some decks.

No correction in the card text should be needed. When an ability can be used from the discard pile or affects it in some kind of way it always says so.

Exeggcute (Plasma Freeze):

Once during your turn (before your attack), if this pokémon is in your discard pile, you may put this card in your hand.

Lileep (Plasma Blast):

Once during your turn (before your attack), if this pokémon is in your discard pile, you may put this Pokémon on the bottom of your deck.

Ho-Oh EX (Dragons Exalted):

Once during your turn (before your attack), if this pokémon is in your discard pile, you may flip a coin. If heads, put this Pokémon onto your Bench and attach 3 different types of basic Energy cards from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

Garbodor (Dragons Exalted):

If this Pokémon has a Pokémon Tool card attached to it, each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities (except for Garbotoxin).

Yeah, I don't even want a text change or anything, but if I was a new player I definitely could interpret the ability that way. I like things simple and Pokemon cards used to be too wordy, but Lopunny's ability could definitely be argued to a judge that it could be brought out of the discard pile. Just because other cards are MORE specific and Lopunny's is not, doesn't mean that Lopunny's ability shouldn't count in that way.

I guess it is just assumed that 'once during your turn' automatically only means Pokemon in play and not in the discard pile. The discard pile is basically 'out of bounds' and only can be fetched from specifically. I like looking for loopholes or uses of Pokemon/strategy that people are not aware of but it is pretty hard to do so when there are thousands of players that know infinitely more. Thanks.

Wait, you can grab Lopunnys from the discard? OO

Edit: Ohhhh I get it now, just read Cymantex's post more closely

I don't know if it was bug or i forgot about rules but some guy returend 2 exegcute from discard pile to hand,,used ultra ball to discard them again and than again returned them in hand...I mean it says "once during your turn" to get them from discard pile...

I don't know if it was bug or i forgot about rules but some guy returend 2 exegcute from discard pile to hand,,used ultra ball to discard them again and than again returned them in hand...I mean it says "once during your turn" to get them from discard pile...

that's a different issue completely. but this issue has been brought up several times before already and there is an official ruling that allows it. Basically everytime the exeggcute is resurrected it is counted as a "new" exeggcute therefore the "once per turn" description has not been applied to it yet therefore the Propagation ability still works again and again and again........

• 3 weeks later...

CYMANTEX is right, by the card saying "Once during your turn (before your attack), you may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand." it is indicating the pokemon is on the playfield at the time, as they can only have cards attached to them there. While returning from the discard would be useful, jumping off the battlefield to avoid a KO is even better as you opponent doesn't take a prize then.

that's a different issue completely. but this issue has been brought up several times before already and there is an official ruling that allows it. Basically everytime the exeggcute is resurrected it is counted as a "new" exeggcute therefore the "once per turn" description has not been applied to it yet therefore the Propagation ability still works again and again and again........

of course, by using that argument, you could actually make Lopunny VERY useful. First you'd fill the bench with Buneary, evolving one into Lopunny ASAP. Then you'd use that to make the most of things like Colress or for extra attack damage from Empoleon's attack. Finally, when you need the extra bench space for better pokemon (or someone's been sniping your bench) you can use that single Lopunny to return as many Buneary to you hand as you need (just evolve the Buneary with the recently "jumped" Lopunny).

Archived