Flashfire Pyroar not blocking Chandelure EX's Cursed drop

Repsac2712

I was battling a Chandelure EX while my Pyroar was on the bench, Chandelure used a Cursed Drop on Pyroar which did in fact damage it. I'm not sure if this is intentional because Cursed Drop describes you can put 4 damage counters in any way you like on a pokemon, but Pyroar's Intimidating Mane says ALL damage by the opponents' basic Pokemon should be prevented.

Cursed Drop does not inflict damage. It places damage counters on the Pokemon. Two different things.

Cursed Drop will bypass Pyroar (as well as any other effects that "place damage counters" instead of inflicting damage.)

I do understand the difference between damage and damage counters and understand why it is necessary, however, to make things more simpler, they could have a new rule when printing future cards to only allow damage counters to be put on Pokemon from damage that is CURRENTLY on Pokemon in play and NOT from damage from the current attack. This would get rid of all the Pokemon attacks that place damage counters directly. It is kind of ridiculous to have damage not hurt something but damage counters hurt something.

You could still have Pokemon that have attacks that place damage counters, but it has to move damage which is currently on a Pokemon. There should never be an attack that just says 'place X damage counters' on a Pokemon unless those damage counters are currently in play. I understand the reasoning (let's say an attack does 60 damage and then you can choose to move some of that damage to another pokemon, therefore you could just have an attack 'place damage counters'). However it is just getting complicated and the suggested change would fix it. I know it will never happen, but it would be nice.

nah I think its totally fine the way it is. The purpose such effects exists is exactly so that it can bypass the limitations imposed on regular attacks.

if it helps, think of it not as an attack that damaged the defending pokemon, but rather a curse that shortened its life span

Hello trainers!

I'm glad you were able to work this out. :) As this isn't a bug, I'll be closing this thread. Please feel free to create a new thread or submit a ticket to the support team via the link in my signature if you have any more issues or questions.

Thanks for playing!

Archived