Profit from Trading. How does it work

Guest ArtichokeCat

Guest ArtichokeCat

So, I've seen people

Who have like 1000-2000 packs in their Collection.

How did they do it?

They probably didn't buy them all.

Ok, maybe they did.

But who has that much money?

So they probably got them by Trading.

Profit from Trading.

How does it work?

'Cause I've only got 1 pack

In my Collection

At the moment.

I'm not spending any money for more packs,

But I can spend more time.

Profit from Trading.

How does it work?

(Note, this isn't a poem. This is a legitimate question. :P)

All comments are appreciated.

To sum it up only trade to make value. Every card has a general price range where it is bought and sold. By finding those certain points you get the cards then trade them for a bit more. This leads to profiting and building of your collection.

Guest ArtichokeCat

I see! Find a card for the lowest price possible and then sell it for about 1 more pack!

I see! Find a card for the lowest price possible and then sell it for about 1 more pack.[/Quote]

Not necessarily you see, if everyone did this then it would cause cards to inflate if everyone is looking for them at the same time to flip the card. Take SR Ultra Ball as an example. It is the only card that for sure will not be rotated and it is rare so the supply is no where near the demand. Even if people offered 100 packs for the card you would have trouble getting them so there is no reason for them to go up any more really. You still need people willing to let cards go quickly for a lesser value to keep up a supply of anything. It is very important to keep every item from inflating in game due to every person looking to make a bit of profit etc.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Hmm...Trading is tricky business. Supply and Demand...

So not just any card, but a valuable card that can be traded back and forth easily.

I know Tropical Beach used to be Sr Ultra Ball, but is was going to be rotated.

Speaking of SR Ultra ball, they used to be 24 packs. How much are they now due to inflation?

Idk. The only thing i have that is worth over 5 packs is a Virizion Ex.

Yeah basically if a card never has supply to meet demand it will never stop going up.. The more people pay the more the card will rise. Also i think people may feel that pack values are going down a bit in general due to them being given out for free in tournaments. That makes cards a more worthwile investment for the long run. Also Ultra Ball are around 60 packs right now but I don't see them going much higher myself. Hopefully that is.:)

They should release SR Ultra Ball as a tournament prize and crash them too. Sorry for those of you that offends.:)

Guest ArtichokeCat

I know the tournaments caused BW09 to crash, but how much? I think they're only releasing Promos in tournaments. Seems logical. But how much would the crash affect trading? Would there be a new Platinum Card (my term for card of high value) that would make profit from trading easier?

I know the tournaments caused BW09 to crash, but how much? I think they're only releasing Promos in tournaments. Seems logical. But how much would the crash affect trading? Would there be a new Platinum Card (my term for card of high value) that would make profit from trading easier?

Well the day they released the promo via the tournaments they crashed to around 10 packs maybe less. The next tournament released them as well and crashed them further to 2-3 packs each. Not sure how many in total were given out, but they were getting close to 500 before that.

I believe it works by ripping newbies off. I got offered an uncommon for my SR today. If i had been new to the game, it would have been a tragedy!!

Guest ArtichokeCat

Umm...yeah I got an FA Genesect Ex for 4 XY. I used all of the packs and now i am broke. :P

And if newbies are educated, (as in they go to the forums and look at the trading threads) that wouldn't work.

I wish i could trade all of my unused rares in some sort of buyback system but for tradable cards.

Like 5 non-holo rares for 1 Pack and 2 holo rares for 1 pack. That would really help with dead pulls.

Public Trade is the solution to everything. Yup, Yes it is. Patience is a virtue. Sigh.

There are lots of great and fairly easy ways to profit from trading. There's the obvious flipping cards, buying low and selling for more. My favourite way is to notice trends and demands for cards. Right now, for example there's a huge demand for SR Ultra balls. I managed to bag a few just as the rise started to skyrocket, now I'm getting offers of twice what I paid for them! I never could have made that profit in that short amount of time, just by flipping with the same amount of investment.

Something I've noticed about myself is that I don't like having huge stockpiles of packs. If I have more than a reasonable buyprice of the most demanded card, I try to buy more cards with those extra packs. The more of your packs that are put into investments, the more chance you have to profit from them. For example, I'm getting offers of 60+ packs for my SR Ultra ball. If I have more than 70 of one pack, I try to buy as many good cards as I can.

Of course, investments are risky. Values of cards rise and fall by the minute. If you're ok with losing for the chance of gaining then it's not a big deal.

Some general tips -

1. Have a reasonable amount of packs incase that deal of a lifetime comes up - And they do come up!

2. Try to have some of every pack - People have preferences and sometimes you can get better deals for other packs.

3. Always have all the cards you're trading on public - You can take them down if you get a private offer you want to accept.

4. Leave up trades overnight - Pokemon is played around the world so there's always someone browsing public trades.

5. Be nice to everyone - Word spreads of nasty people and leaving a sour taste in somebodies mouth means they wont trade with you again.

6. Making friends is a good way to secure repeat business - Try to give them good deals and most people will do the same in return which can be helpful in a pinch.

7. Don't offer too low - People get offended if you lowball too much which puts people off and they wont counter offer as much.

Obviously I can't give away all my secrets but you get the point. You can't pick up trading overnight, I'm lucky enough to have a background in trading in other games so it came very naturally to me in Pokemon.

Guest jasonjasonlin
There are lots of great and fairly easy ways to profit from trading. There's the obvious flipping cards, buying low and selling for more. My favourite way is to notice trends and demands for cards. Right now, for example there's a huge demand for SR Ultra balls. I managed to bag a few just as the rise started to skyrocket, now I'm getting offers of twice what I paid for them! I never could have made that profit in that short amount of time, just by flipping with the same amount of investment.

Something I've noticed about myself is that I don't like having huge stockpiles of packs. If I have more than a reasonable buyprice of the most demanded card, I try to buy more cards with those extra packs. The more of your packs that are put into investments, the more chance you have to profit from them. For example, I'm getting offers of 60+ packs for my SR Ultra ball. If I have more than 70 of one pack, I try to buy as many good cards as I can.

Of course, investments are risky. Values of cards rise and fall by the minute. If you're ok with losing for the chance of gaining then it's not a big deal.

Some general tips -

1. Have a reasonable amount of packs incase that deal of a lifetime comes up - And they do come up!

2. Try to have some of every pack - People have preferences and sometimes you can get better deals for other packs.

3. Always have all the cards you're trading on public - You can take them down if you get a private offer you want to accept.

4. Leave up trades overnight - Pokemon is played around the world so there's always someone browsing public trades.

5. Be nice to everyone - Word spreads of nasty people and leaving a sour taste in somebodies mouth means they wont trade with you again.

6. Making friends is a good way to secure repeat business - Try to give them good deals and most people will do the same in return which can be helpful in a pinch.

7. Don't offer too low - People get offended if you lowball too much which puts people off and they wont counter offer as much.

Obviously I can't give away all my secrets but you get the point. You can't pick up trading overnight, I'm lucky enough to have a background in trading in other games so it came very naturally to me in Pokemon.

WOW very nice tip, also if you only want to buy code cards just buy them separately from a reliable site. Trade cards and packs for cards to build a really good deck in order to win more tournaments and that means more packs.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Nice! Thanks for the tips so far! I don't think I have the resources to flip yet or buy anything so I'm at the Public Trade step at the moment...

Nice! Thanks for the tips so far! I don't think I have the resources to flip yet or buy anything so I'm at the Public Trade step at the moment...

be patient. Good deals are out there, waiting for you, everyone had to start somewhere

Are there days where it is best to trade? I suppose what I'm asking is whether the amount of people logged in fluctuates significantly during the week?

Cheers.

day doesn't make as much difference as times, though I'll keep that to myself (Can't give you everything I know! haha)

Archived