Make a thread/section to show what is being worked on

RoyalDuke

Hello,

I've seen many suggestions come by and a lot of them got responses like:

Great suggestion, I'll send it to the dev team for review.

Which is great and all, but then it seems you never hear from them again.

There never is any notification if one of the suggestions is actually used or worked on.

Which is a shame because it gives the impression, (at least to me) that they are all in vain.

Also I see lots of idea's returning (which have been suggested in the past) and they take up space and time again, which seems like a waste to me.

My solution to this would be to have either the mod team or the dev team make a list, similar to the know bugs list, that states all the suggestions made. in two colums, one for the ones being worked on and one for rejected suggestions.

Ideally in order of importance.

I think that would keep a lot of suggestions from reentering the "review channels" once they have been rejected or are worked on already.

Players could possibly also give input about the magnitude the think certain idea's have and with that feedback maybe the game will be even more enjoyable for all

I hope you, the pokemon team will do something with my suggestion.

or at the very least tell my why it won't happen (if that is the case)

Sincerely, RD

i think the danger with that is that when people see their suggestions getting rejected they will throw up a hissy fit and post even more nonsense

i think the danger with that is that when people see their suggestions getting rejected they will throw up a hissy fit and post even more nonsense

possibly but that can be easier to deal with then all the continues repeating suggestions...

and im sure people can deal with rejection if someone is willing to provide feedback on why it is rejected.

possibly but that can be easier to deal with then all the continues repeating suggestions...

and im sure people can deal with rejection if someone is willing to provide feedback on why it is rejected.

nah they'll never be satisfied. you give them 1 excuse they'll just say "well you can add this and that" and then you explain why that doesn't work and they just go on saying "well you can add this and that". They just won't stop until they get what they want. Its too optimistic to think that all the players are mature adults when it comes to pokemon

nah they'll never be satisfied. you give them 1 excuse they'll just say "well you can add this and that" and then you explain why that doesn't work and they just go on saying "well you can add this and that". They just won't stop until they get what they want. Its too optimistic to think that all the players are mature adults when it comes to pokemon

well lets say you are right... the dev/mod team does not have to keep explaining everything all the time, my point is that i myself ad i thing plenty of others aswell would like to see what happens to my sugestions, surely not all wil be able to cope with rejections but its still better than being leftwondering.

and the pokemon team Always has the option to just ignore certain comments or mute people if necessary.

just a lis of things being made or not made would be great...

if they make it so that people can have input on what gets made first even better...

if they make it with explenations why stuff can't be made it woud be marvelous...

but i think i speak for the majority of players when i say some more info on what wll happen to sggestins woud be greatly apprecited...

Could not agree more, the "will pass on to dev team" response is getting quite old.

All feedback does get passed along to the Dev team. From there it gets assessed based on effort to implement, complexity, overall impact, alignment with intended design, etc. Planning a release is a very complicated process which requires balancing desired game features with the available resources. There are finite resources available for each game update, so it's necessary to plan several updates in advance.

Visualize a bucket that holds steel chains. It can hold any number of chains, provided the total number of links does not exceed 100 (10 chains x 10 links, 2 chains x 25 links and 10 chains x 5 links, etc.). To further complicate things, each link can come in either red, blue, green, yellow, or orange, and the bucket can only hold 20 links of each color. For the sake of this exercise, the bucket symbolizes a game update, the chain symbolizes a game feature in that update, the length of the chain symbolizes the amount of resources necessary to complete that feature, and the color of a link symbolizes the type of resource necessary to complete that feature (client engineers, server engineers, artists, etc.).

Now imagine that you've taken the time to fill the bucket to maximum capacity, ensuring that the total number of links is exactly 20 per color. Someone asks you to add a chain consisting of 1 blue link, 1 red link, and 3 orange links to the bucket. To accommodate this request, you'll need to remove 5 links in that exact color combination. Should you have a chain in the bucket which matches that color configuration, you're golden. However, the more likely scenario is that you'll need to remove links from multiple chains, which can have an adverse effect on the overall integrity of that chain.

While the scenario above is in no way realistic, it does provide a reasonable analogy for planning a game update. Typically the game updates closest to public release are the hardest to adjustment, while the ones further in the future tend to be more fluid. This is why you'll rarely see a suggestion or piece of feedback integrated into the game in a short time frame.

That said; the next game update includes a number of tweaks based on community feedback, including the return of a screen name search box when creating a Private Trade offer. I'll be posting a thread early next week to talk about some of the features being added in the next game update, so make sure you keep an eye on the Announcements & News section.

All feedback does get passed along to the Dev team. From there it gets assessed based on effort to implement, complexity, overall impact, alignment with intended design, etc. Planning a release is a very complicated process which requires balancing desired game features with the available resources. There are finite resources available for each game update, so it's necessary to plan several updates in advance.

Visualize a bucket that holds steel chains. It can hold any number of chains, provided the total number of links does not exceed 100 (10 chains x 10 links, 2 chains x 25 links and 10 chains x 5 links, etc.). To further complicate things, each link can come in either red, blue, green, yellow, or orange, and the bucket can only hold 20 links of each color. For the sake of this exercise, the bucket symbolizes a game update, the chain symbolizes a game feature in that update, the length of the chain symbolizes the amount of resources necessary to complete that feature, and the color of a link symbolizes the type of resource necessary to complete that feature (client engineers, server engineers, artists, etc.).

Now imagine that you've taken the time to fill the bucket to maximum capacity, ensuring that the total number of links is exactly 20 per color. Someone asks you to add a chain consisting of 1 blue link, 1 red link, and 3 orange links to the bucket. To accommodate this request, you'll need to remove 5 links in that exact color combination. Should you have a chain in the bucket which matches that color configuration, you're golden. However, the more likely scenario is that you'll need to remove links from multiple chains, which can have an adverse effect on the overall integrity of that chain.

While the scenario above is in no way realistic, it does provide a reasonable analogy for planning a game update. Typically the game updates closest to public release are the hardest to adjustment, while the ones further in the future tend to be more fluid. This is why you'll rarely see a suggestion or piece of feedback integrated into the game in a short time frame.

That said; the next game update includes a number of tweaks based on community feedback, including the return of a screen name search box when creating a Private Trade offer. I'll be posting a thread early next week to talk about some of the features being added in the next game update, so make sure you keep an eye on the Announcements & News section.

hmm yes.. well nice story.

i get what you are trying to say and i love that you are going to make that thread you mentioned.

but cant you make a list of all the things being worked on?

i dont realy care about when they are going to be made just knowing if something will be made would be a massive improvement.

i dont realy care about when they are going to be made just knowing if something will be made would be a massive improvement.

That's a fair point. Creating the equivalent of the "Known Bugs" thread for feedback/suggestions would certainly help the community understand what we've added to the backlog, and would mitigate some of the duplicate threads. I'll give it some consideration and discuss it with the rest of the team.

I understand very deeply how game development works as I have worked hand in hand with one of the world's largest game companies (is a word for a snow storm, since it can't be named) for many years making maps for one of their main franchises. Personally I have been involved in the Q/A process for a product that is released to millions of people. On top of that I also read the EXTENSIVE developer posts for another company that makes the worlds largest (by playerbase) MOBA where they outline almost every decision/change/anything they make.

I don't doubt you pass the info on, but it's a pretty generic response in a time where developer/player relations and communications are no longer in such an area. While a couple particular subjects will receive an actual response (such as No-EX mode) most of them just get the "will pass on treatment" and it's incredibly frustrating.

Talk to us and give us real stuff once you know what's up! As an example, say an idea doesn't make sense, let the user know why. I refer to the company again that makes the very large MOBA and they will go VERY in depth with their design decisions, ideas, etc. I don't see any of that from this company unless it's about a gambling mode (which I know is NOT allowed and I think it's an awful idea), making cards that don't exist in real life (TCGO is copy of the physical card game, etc), or No-EX mode (don't want to fragment playerbase).

I see you have a community management team, however in my experience in this game there is very little visible community management. There is one singular source for any communication with the dev team (I cannot express how much this upsets me), and the responses are almost exclusively "Will pass on to dev team, thanks for the suggestion!" There doesn't even appear to be monthly updates anymore, which at face value (I know this is not real reasoning) says that your community management team can't even be bothered to have real communication with us even once a month! WHAT? Even where there was the updates, there was little follow up. I checked the April 2014 thread and there was ONE follow up post from a Professor....

There's nothing wrong with saying something like "We love this idea, we think it will work, we don't know when it will go on but it's on the menu". Or on the flipside saying "This idea won't work and here's the reasons why". Even if you don't have this info until after you discuss it with them, I am sure many players would love some follow up (I've only seen 2-3 cases of this and I browse this forum A LOT) even if that follow up is a great deal of time later.

Back to OP however, there's nothing wrong with this list as long as you don't attach timeframes to it. Simply saying "it's being worked on, it will be done sometime between now and the end of time, unless something goes wrong with it" would help much more than "Thanks for the feedback, will pass on to dev team!"

WHEN is very rarely the issue, and I have not personally seen people get upset by the "when" on here, the fans of this game seem to be understanding. You delayed tournament launch from October last year till the start of this year and I read all the posts when you announced delays, people were just happy to know it was in the works.

Talk to us more, we are your fan base that loves and plays this game, this is not the 90's style of game development anymore where you can just stay hidden in the shadows until you have something 100% complete. Game fans are more educated on the process now, and will understand things/features take time or even some planned changes/updates have to be scrapped because something went wrong.

I want to keep playing this game, but not knowing if basic problems/suggestions will ever be worked on makes me lose enthusiasm. Several of the most well known and established Pokemon TCG players in the world have also expressed this same frustration and told me trying to get you to open up was a waste of time. I did not believe them at 1st, however now I think they may have been right.

This is 2014, please communicate with us like it is so. We just love the PTCGO and want to know the direction(s) it's heading.

That's a fair point. Creating the equivalent of the "Known Bugs" thread for feedback/suggestions would certainly help the community understand what we've added to the backlog, and would mitigate some of the duplicate threads. I'll give it some consideration and discuss it with the rest of the team.

that woud be great :)

but after you guys are done discussing please dont forget to mention the outcome here :)

and @ esvdiamond & howlinmadmurdoc thaks for backing me up on this (: ive suggested stuff like this before but no one seemed to care ... glad to see some people do

but after you guys are done discussing please dont forget to mention the outcome here :)

Agree with RoyalDuke, this would be a great place to start.

so is there a decision made about that thread already?

and if so what was that decision?

keep us updated :)!

come on moderation, staff or development team give us an update!!

hahaha they are never going to do that or any of this... they just dont care enough i think.

thats why i dont even bother suggesting anything anymore.

maybe if everyone stopped posting feedback they'd realize they need to give us updates to keep enthusiasm up and good suggestions comming.

hahaha they are never going to do that or any of this... they just dont care enough i think.

thats why i dont even bother suggesting anything anymore.

maybe if everyone stopped posting feedback they'd realize they need to give us updates to keep enthusiasm up and good suggestions comming.

well thats a bit harsh but i guess sorta true.

if they were going to reply they probably would have done so already.. so it would be best i think to let this one rest and dont risk any penalties for saying stuff or bumping the thread :)

Idc myself about bumping, I will take up the charge. It's a hot topic (as defined by this forum) with a good idea.

If staff are hoping this fizzles out, it won't.

I agree that this is something that we the actual consumer want to see happen, so some type of reply from the moderators would be nice.

[******************************* on how this is coming along if at all?

i wonder if they have actually read any of the comments after the last moderator post...

Archived