Rotation Predictions.

Cymantex

Recently I have received a lot of questions about what I think the next rotation will be, what cards will be rotated and which you should be looking to keep and get rid of. I thought it would be easier if I just posted all of my thoughts into a forum post instead of repeating myself over and over.

I hope you will find this information helpful!

Remember that this is speculations only!

List of previous rotations:

2001-02 Rocket-Onward

2002-03 Neo Genesis-Onward

2003-04 Expedition-Onward

2004-05 EX Ruby & Sapphire-Onward

2005-06 EX Hidden Legends-Onward

2006-07 EX Deoxys-Onward (NP 37 and up)

2007-08 EX Holon Phantoms-Onward

2008-10 Diamond & Pearl-Onward (extended format)

2010-11 Majestic Dawn-Onward (DP 22 and up)

2011-12 HeartGold & SoulSilver-Onward

2012-13 Black & White-Onward

2013-14 Next Destinies-Onward (BW33 and up)

Looking closer into each of these rotations I have been able to make the following observations:

- Era rotations has always happened until now. XY-On is very likely to happen in the future.

- How many sets which rotates are always different.

- Promos rotates depending on during which set they was released.

- Promos after NP36 was released during EX Deoxys or later

- Promos after DP21 was released during Majestic Dawn or later

- Promos after BW32 was released during Next Destinies or later

- Era rotations also rotates the promos of that era.

- The rotation is partly aimed to make remembering which cards are in the format as simple as possible. Keeping Pokémon TCG a beginner friendly game.

The previous rotation (which many found surprising) was my main prediction as by keeping Next Destinies around you do also keep all the EXs. While all the era rotations also makes a lot of sense in this regard. Keeping only the new cards doesn't create any confusion with older ones.

Now the question is, which set would keep the rotation as simple as possible?

In my opinion there are two different options as XY-On doesn't work right now (maybe next year?! ;)) when that would only give us two sets to work with.

Boundaries Crossed-On (BW51 and up):

This is a set where they actually introduced quite a bit of new stuff, namely:

- Ace Specs

- Gold Border Secret Rares

- Full Art Supporters

Since they both introduced new types of cards as well as remade the design of an old one it would make a lot of sense that the rotation will be to this particular set.

While rotating to BW50 makes it easier to remember which promos are legal.

Plasma Storm-On (BW64 and up):

The Plasma Storm set also brought something new to the table, plasma cards.

With this they rotate 4 sets, as many which was released since the last rotation.

A big argument for this rotation is that many of the most important Boundaries Crossed cards have

already been reprinted, these being:

Keldeo EX

Blastoise (deluge)

Charizard (Scorching Fire)

Dusknoir (sinister hand)

White Kyurem EX

Switch

Bianca

Cheren (Tierno)

Reprinting these cards does make it seem like they are preparing to make a Plasma Storm-On rotation.

However I do think these reprints was made for other reasons. While many important Plasma Storm cards also received a reprint. Boundaries Crossed-On therefore holds more credit in my eyes. Only leaving some Ace Specs, Gold Border SRs and FA Supporters in modified play does make the rotation a significant amount more tricky to follow.

In both of these cases cards from Next Destinies, Dark Explorers, Dragons Exalted and Dragon Vault will be rotated.

Below I'll post a list of notable cards which both survives and doesn't from these sets, assuming the rotation will be either BC-On or PLS-On

It's worth noting that because some of these cards are rotating, other cards which works well with them might also lower in value.

Notable cards to be rotated with BC-On.

EXs:

Rayquaza EX

Ho-Oh EX

Entei EX

Terrakion EX

Giratina EX

Raikou EX

Registeel EX

Regigigas EX

Groudon EX

Kyogre EX

SRs:

SR Archeops

SR Reuniclus

SR Zoroark

SR Gardevoir

SR Chandelure

SR Hydreigon

SR Krookodile

Other Pokémon:

Sableye (Junk Hunt)

Bouffalant (Gold Breaker)

Gabite (Dragon Call)

Gardevoir (Psychic Mirage)

Flygon (Sand Slammer)

Roserade (Le Parfum)

Ninjask/Shedinja

Zebstrika (Disconnect)

Aggron (Toppling Wind)

Accelgor (Deck and Cover)

Trainers:

Tropical Beach

Dark Patch

Level Ball

Skyarrow Bridge

Super Rod

Enhanced Hammer

Heavy Ball

Devolution Spray

Exp. Share

Rescue Scarf

Tool Scrapper

Twist Mountain

Pokemon Center

Hooligans Jim & Cas

Giant Cape

Energy:

Prism Energy

Blend Energies

Notable BC-On survivors:

EXs (Full arts in focus):

Mewtwo EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Darkrai EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Zekrom EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Reshiram EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Kyurem EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Mew EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Shaymin EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Black Kyurem EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

White Kyurem EX - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Tornadus EX DEX - Reprint as BW96 (Legendary Treasures)

SRs:

SR Emboar - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

SR Serperior - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

SR Rayquaza - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

SR Pokemon Catcher - Reprint in XY theme decks.

Other Pokémon:

Empoleon (Diving Draw) - Reprint as Secret Rare in Plasma Freeze

Hydreigon (Dark Trance) - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Zoroark (Brutal Bash) - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Garbodor (Garbotoxin) - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Sigilyph (Safeguard) - Reprint in Legendary Treasures

Drifblim (Shadow Steal) - Reprint as BW64 (Plasma Storm)

Ninetales (Bright Look) - Reprint as BW66 (Plasma Storm)

Trainers:

N - Reprint as BW100 (Legendary Treasures)

Random Receiver - Reprint as Secret Rare in Plasma Storm

Rare Candy - Reprint in Plasma Blast

Ultra Ball - Reprint in Flash Fire

Juniper - Reprint in Plasma Blast

Cheren - Reprint as FA in Boundaries Crossed

These are merely my own thoughts. Please share your own opinions below!

Excellent article.

They will have one more set to release before rotation and then the first set after rotation to add anything the want to smooth the transition.

Now for the other great question: Where will Worlds be next year.

Thanks for the article cym:) I got two questions:

1. What do u guys think of yveltal decks after this rotation? It loses two major things (dark patch and sableye) do u guys think it will be able to still be a good deck after the rotation?

2. Does anyone know what the worlds promo is this year?

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Yveltal EX decks as we know them right now I don't think will work well at all after the rotation as they heavily rely on Dark Patch in particular.

However Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX are still amazing cards and people will probably find other ways to make use of them.

It won't be as potent as it was in the past, but less people might also prepare for it in tournaments, making it more dangerous.

I expect that we might see dark builds similar to how Big Basic and Fairy decks run. More Yveltal reg, Zoroark DEX (LT reprint) and Hydreigon could be something to look forward too.

I don't think the worlds promo have been announced yet.

Question if boundaries gets rotated will sinister dusk noir still live because they printed sr version of him or no he doesn't rotate

I think v have same version of rayquaza sr in LT rite?

Well spotted! It felt like I was missing something when I made the survivor list. Updated.

So does that mean yes or no on his rotation

Sinister Hand Dusknoir would stay if Boundaries crossed were to be rotated due to the secret rare reprint in Plasma Blast. Completely correct.

yvel works without dark patch

Second this, Yveltal works well with little Yveltal starting and then ultra ball away some darkness energies.

Sinister Hand Dusknoir would stay if Boundaries crossed were to be rotated due to the secret rare reprint in Plasma Blast. Completely correct.

thank you as a newer player i was thinking of making a ghost deck mechanic seems simple enough but the mechanic of the deck was going to need sh dsuk so i was wondering if i should invest in a deck with the main card rotating out

Since they made a new Dusknoir in FF with a similar ability and Meowstic with Sinister Hand as an attack, I'm worried they may make the rotation LT-On. And there is also Professor Sycamore who replaces Professor Juniper, which was also last reprinted in PB. That would be a huge loss.

Since they made a new Dusknoir in FF with a similar ability and Meowstic with Sinister Hand as an attack, I'm worried they may make the rotation LT-On. And there is also Professor Sycamore who replaces Professor Juniper, which was also last reprinted in PB. That would be a huge loss.

I don't think you have the worry about the format being LT-On at all. Just the fact that they reprinted Lugia EX and not Plasma Energy in LT should tell you it doesn't work as the card would become useless. While Plasma Blast would have barely been out for a year before rotation.

I think all these "reprints" are to prepare for an eventual XY-On format.

yvel works without dark patch

It might be able to work without dark patch but it does take away the decks unpredictability. It allows to take to both power up an Yveltal EX in a single turn and add massive amount of damage. Really making Yveltal EX tricky to deal with as it almost always leaves you unsafe about attacking.

Without the immediate energy acceleration it's much easier to make sure you get the OHKOs against Yveltal while the opponent doesn't. Also if all their energy gets knocked out they won't be able to respond right away.

Having to spend that extra turn to power up an Yveltal EX will really hurt, I can assure it.

Nevertheless I still think Yveltal can do well but the strategy have to be reconsidered.

Archived