Some newbie questions...

Milennin

Hey,

Just started playing this yesterday. I don't have much experience with the Pokémon TCG, having only played the Gameboy game ages ago, but I saw this, and decided to give it a try. And there's a few things I was wondering about. I've beaten some of the AI opponents, but is it actually worth playing through all of them, or am I better off playing against real people? And if I play against real people, am I going to get my *** kicked for being a noob at this, or is there some kind of ranking system that puts me against players around my own skill level?

Also I noticed when I logged out yesterday it said I'd receive 25 coins for logging in again tomorrow. When I logged off earlier today it said I'd receive 5 free booster packs tomorrow. Are these some sort of daily rewards for logging on regularly, or is it only something for the first few days to get you started? Also I have enough coins to buy a booster pack, but how do I know what I should buy? Or would I be better off saving 500 coins to buy one of those full decks?

1. From a update: Versus Mode: Matchmaking system updated to improve the quality of pairings.

2. Daily log in rewards: I think the first week is special (not sure) after that it's something like this day 1 and 2 tokens, day 3 tournament tickets, day 4 tokens, day 5 a booster.

3. Well when dueling AI opponents you can get boosters, tokens, maybe unlock some cards from the free decks, achievements awards and other stuff.

4. When battling other players you can choose to only play with theme decks, that way everyone would be using theme decks so no overpowered combos, EX monsters, etc.

5. Try checking other sites or in store for the contents of decks and based on that you should know what you want to get. For boosters it should be online though some decks bring checklists. Ex. if you want to use a deck with only fairies then get the "Resilient Life" deck and other XY boosters of course you would need some trainers from other sets.

You can also trade for cards you want, but you can not trade cards from daily rewards and other places.

Thanks, that clears up some of my points.

Speaking of tradeable cards, how do I get them? I somehow had 2 free packs in my collection that gave me cards that are all tradeable, but the other cards that I have in my collection aren't.

Also, is there any way of getting old school cards, like Jungle and Fossil sets? Just wondering, because those boosters don't show up under the Store tab.

The two packs were beta rewards; they were given to all old accounts at some point.

You can earn trade-able cards by doing well in tournaments, or you can buy them with real money. No other ways yet.

I recommend grinding through the trainer challenge, as it will give you the basic decks and a lot of free packs.

And I recommend getting 2x Resilient Life for tokens from the shop - along with your free stuff, it will give you material for a reasonably competitive deck. For decklists, Google is your friend.

You cannot get old old cards. Whatever sets are programmed in, you can see in the filters when you do a search through your collection.

How do you buy cards with real money then? I don't see an option for it in the store.:confused: And I doubt I'll ever get good enough to do well in tournaments, lol. :D

Well, grinding the AI isn't that bad, and the free cards are a nice bonus. I'll consider saving up for the Resilient Life then.

How do you buy cards with real money then? I don't see an option for it in the store.:confused: And I doubt I'll ever get good enough to do well in tournaments, lol. :D

The official route is real card packs, from real stores, with online codes inside them that you can redeem on PTCGO.

Alternately, you can try buying codes themselves online from third-party sources (which is far cheaper), but I get the impression that this is frowned upon by TPCI because they cannot regulate it and cannot prevent scams.

Btw, the game is not "pay to win" - I myself have never bought any cards for money, and out of my four tourneys yesterday, I won one and placed 2nd in two others, losing close and exciting finals (with different decks). I have been around for quite a while though, slowly amassing a nice collection of free cards and honing my skills. It helps a lot to watch how top players build and play their decks - for example user Pookaveli (Kyle Sucevich), who regularly posts videos online.

Note: I am intentionally not providing links or website names, because that is not allowed and would get censored by mods.

Thanks again for answering. I don't think I'll be buying real cards or codes either, but it's a bit of a shame that there's no other way to trade cards. I actually pulled a valuable card from the 2 free packs I got, and was able to trade it for a rare card that I really wanted, but there's no way to trade any of my other stuff if I'd want to. Oh well, I don't have enough cards to build anything useful yet anyway, so I'll first continue to grind the rest of the AI and see what I get from them before deciding on where to go from there.

I'll also check out that guy's videos. I have no clue on where to start when it comes to deck building, so that should be helpful. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi albasetters,

In order to maintain organization and prevent confusion within the forums, posting in threads that have been inactive for more than 14 days is not permitted. You can read more about this rule and others by clicking the Forum Rules link at the bottom of this page.

I'll be closing this thread now. Thanks for your understanding!

Archived