How is 'Advantage' Determined?

KarpGrinder

With new changes to the matchmaking process I have noticed that with my high win/loss ratio that even when I make a new deck and play my first game I am always given advantage and play against 'Top Deck' opponents.

Yeah, I have several of the 'top decks' but sometimes I like to play with new decks that aren't perfect.

This Game However; seems to pit my new (often rubbish 'experimental' decks) against the most elite decks that are playing at the time of "Looking for opponent".

TL: DR - How are decks ranked for matchmaking?? Is it the players Total/win Ratio? The rating of specific cards?

Anyone know?

Am I doomed to play Yveltal Decks or whatever is trending from here on out???

I believe it's a combination of selected deck win/loss ratio and player win/loss ratio. So even someone with an 20/0 deck can face a beginner if they usually only play, and lose with, the basic red deck or something of that sort and have an overall subpar win/loss ration as a player.

As far as I know an exact formula or any detailed information on the process hasn't been revealed yet, likely to keep it from being abused. Hope I helped with the little I know :)

I always thought they did it by the types in your deck? That seems to hold as a pretty consistent pattern for me.

I noticed that types of pokemon have seemed to hold true for advantage for me as well. Although when playing a primarily all water deck with 2 leafeons, fire decks were given advantage, so it seems kind of clunky. My 8+ water pokemon would obviously give me a greater advantage vs. a fire deck than his fire pokes vs. only 2 grass pokes.

I always thought they did it by the types in your deck? That seems to hold as a pretty consistent pattern for me.

This is what I had always thought as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just battled someone in a Themed Deck match, we were both using the same Theme Deck (Basic Grass), and my opponent had apparently advantage.

All of the posts in this thread are incorrect. Advantage is based on player ranking. Each player is ranked in the system using their matchmaking algorithm (its more complicated than just wins/losses). The player who is ranked higher is the player with the "advantage". This ranking is otherwise hidden from the players, but its been in the game since matchmaking was introduced.

The deck you run has no bearing on your matchmaking ranking.

what bothers me is that if you have the Advantage stuff it doesnt matter whether you win or not,if you win you get 1point if you lose you get 1point too its kind of boring,to have the same result regardless of your efforts/fails

They should get rid of this "advantage" rubbish. Who ever wins should get 3 coins. It's a joke when you're using lets say a grass deck and have the "advantage" over someone using a fire deck when it's obvious the fire deck has the real advantage.

I feel the same way. I have won 1 ranked game ever. And ever since I won that ranked game. I have been playing against nothing but Yveltal EX decks, Team Plasma decks, and crazy acceleration decks that I have 0 chance of ever beating EVER. Game sucks, and need work.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Really? I think the matchmaking makes up for that...every time I play my Flareon or Absol decks and all i see on the opponents' field are Lucario and Flareon Cofagrigus decks.

Archived