This game offers no assistance on how to get better

ESVDiamond

Me again, hope it's not a problem posting so many feedback threads, but I have a lot to give feedback on!

For new players of this game there is very little (if not nothing) to help them improve their play. Sure there's the trainer challenge which is cool and a good introduction into just the raw basics. However trainer challenge does not prepare you for playing against real decks and strong players as theme decks have VERY limited power and card strength.

I've seen a million times "EX's are OP, make no EX mode plz!". It's really simple why this happens, the game offers no info on how to improve your play and see your own mistakes (both in game and in deck creation). So since new players have no real help about playing at a higher level than vs the AI, they never learn to spot their own flaws. Not being able to realize why THEY played the game wrong (or understanding where they have problems in their deck composition), they assume it's the EX's that op.

Want to learn how to build a solid deck? Sorry, not here. People can't even link you to top decklists as every site aside for this one is banned and will get your account muted.

What are timings? Too bad you'll never know unless someone explains it.

EX's aren't completely broken, instead its great card syngergy/well constructed deck lists that make them feel OP, but there is nothing to help you understand even concepts like this.

Why is N and Professor Juniper/Sycamore such strong cards and in every top deck? Not here.

I am NOT a new player, but I feel it's almost impossible to introduce new people to this game because 1: This team is very poor at community outreach and 2: Unless I want to spend 10+ hours per person explaining all this and setting up example decks they will be completely lost.

This is really where you could work on your community outreach and have the community help you. While things like minigames (teaching specific concepts) would be good, nothing beats having passionate people provide the content for you. I am 110% positive there is a great number of awesome and qualified community contributors that would be happy to provide things like deck tech videos, strategy videos, live streams of the game (0 currently live on the biggest video gaming streaming site in the world lol), and more if they knew there was even a CHANCE it would be used in the PTCGO.

As an example I feel strongly that if you were to put out a how to on Blastoise/Keldeo EX (random example) tomorrow and promoted/linked it in client, by the end of the day you would see a MASSIVE popularity increase for the deck. People would be able to learn it, why it works, how it works, and how to make it, all info that right now is left to finding on your own.

Empower your player base to get better as players, while at the same time giving the existing community of hardcore fans reason to make high quality content for said players. The end winner is everyone.

Guest ArtichokeCat

I agree..i had to slowly learn my way around the PTCG for several weeks until i finally figured out how to make a good deck (from outside sources you are unable to link to as ESV said)... and many people quit just because of the lack of info

I agree..i had to slowly learn my way around the PTCG for several weeks until i finally figured out how to make a good deck (from outside sources you are unable to link to as ESV said)... and many people quit just because of the lack of info

If I didn't have a social media account (site can't be named, lol) with 3k+ followers I would have quit out of frustration. Luckily some nice people gave me links, without them I would have never played this likely for over a week.

Hello again ESVDiamond!

No need to apologize for all the feedback! We genuinely do appreciate each piece of feedback and are glad to see such enthusiastic input. :)

I'll let the Dev team know about your sentiments here. In the meantime, this thread will be left open for discussion.

And, as always, thanks for your feedback!

in the past I have worked with some players to put up a lot of really good guides for this game which includes a lot of the stuff you mentioned. however the mods have refused to sticky the thread and any attempt we make to bump it or request for sticky have been meet with resistance from the mods. The thread is now probably somewhere deep in the old posts.

in all fairness to be really good at something you can't expect to learn everything from 1 place, a person who really is eager to be better will seek out various sources to learn from, and there are definitely a lot of helpful sources out there that discuss and explain things very well

Of course there will never be one single source for all info, but after theme decks there is NOTHING this game offers to help you with learning wise.

to be fair most tcgs don't offer that much more either, its hard to keep teaching you new strategies as new cards come out, plus you won't do the thinking yourself that way or discuss with others

Most of them however do. I can't give examples due to the forum rules unfortunately. However dev live streams, articles, tournaments recaps, etc all do exist. They may not 100% be integrated into the client but they do exist.

The information is out there with the numerous fan sites that post strategies and even decklists. I do think that posting decklists is bad for the game though. Part of the fun is coming up with a deck of your own using pokemon that you like and combinations that you enjoy. Is ripping off a list online really that fun? So…do you really want Pokemon to be spoon feeding you information and telling you what decks to play? You said the following:

"However trainer challenge does not prepare you for playing against real decks and strong players as theme decks have VERY limited power and card strength. "

Thats part of the growth and development process of being a player. You acquire cards via packs and trading, build a deck, and learn how to play against the decks of others (even competitive ones) from practice. Yes, there is a learning curve, but thats perfectly fine in my opinion.

I've had several complaints/suggestions about the game in the past two years since getting back into it (thanks to watching TheTopCut), but I think Pokemon and the creators are fine with how they are handling everything that you listed.

Also, pokemontcg.com posts card combinations and strategies from time to time. For example, they suggest what cards to use with the M Charizard EXs. So I think you have to give them some credit as far as trying to help new players.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Well...usually i don't have the sufficient cards to put together the exact decklist..so i put a little twist on it and add my own creativity..i personally like using decklists as a base...

"Part of the fun is coming up with a deck of your own using pokemon that you like and combinations that you enjoy."

That's actually not true for all players. Different segments of the player base like different things. Right now Pokemon TCGO is very good for players that like big stuff (ie: EX's), and pretty solid for creative deckbuilders like yourself. However the competitive ones like myself that value winning and improving as a player above all will find themselves a bit lost (as Atrichockecat can attest). Personally in Pokemon TCG I am 100% a competitive player, I don't care at all about deckbuilding, I want to play a good deck and play every game to win above all. I will rip decklists wholesale off the internet if they are good. There is a great deal of people like me. They are left with no real help from this game directly, and this would fill that hole.

The site you mentioned, I actually had a conversation with one of the owners TODAY on a social media site, and he expressed long standing concerns of his over this same topic in general. The contributors would very much enjoy working with Pokemon International on things, and do not seem satisfied with how things are.

"So…do you really want Pokemon to be spoon feeding you information"

Yes, yes I do. There is no single negative consequence for this. There is ample modes for people that do not wish to play competitive or expensive decks, this would not cause issues and only make the overall player base more skilled. The people that just want to mess around making Pikachu decks (because it's their favorite Pokemon) still can do it, they won't read/watch/see this stuff anyways. The players that DO want to get better will now have the proper resources to do so. This is also just not about deck lists. This is about actual game concepts, with timings being one of the best examples. There is many things you can learn about TCG games as complex as this one that have 0 to do with deck lists and building, and right now the info is not there.

The best part. A bunch of reputable and knowledgeable people will do this stuff for little or even sometimes no cost. The content is already there and doing this stuff is as close to free as it gets once the framework is in place and established.

Archived