New Standard mode w/o Plasma/EX cards

EvErLoyaLEagLE

Whenever I go on a Standard match, every deck is the same: DarkraiEX combined with YveltalEX Dark decks, DeosyxPlasmEX combined with LugiaPlasmEX, ThunderusPlasmEX Team Plasma decks, VirizionEX and Aromatisse combined with Rainbow/Prism energy decks etc. there are like 1,000 different players but they all use the exact same EX/Plasma cards over and over; they're becoming exploitable, abusive, and downright over-powered. I only have maybe 15 EX cards, but these guys have like 100's, and even if I get the cards I want, they still can't beat the overly-powerful EX cards.

My suggestion: Make a Standard/Custom mode where Plasma, EX, or both Plasma/EX are DIS-ALLOWED. That way more people can play more comfortably and enjoy the game better and be happier without having to suffer from exploited abused and over-powered "PlasmEX" cards.

[Content removed - please keep all comments polite and courteous to other players. -Prof. Poplar]

Hello EvErLoyaLEagLE,

At the moment, the Dev team isn't interested in further segmenting the playerbase by adding more modes of play. However, I will pass this up as a possible suggestion for the future and leave this thread open for discussion in the meantime.

As always, we appreciate your input!

Perhaps instead of making a new game mode, why not incorporate this into tournaments?

If we had an occasional tournament with special rules like this from time, it would let these kind of matches take place without segmenting to player base more than it already is.

I know it isn’t prefect, but it’s the best I've got that doesn't cause more problems.

Guest ArtichokeCat
whenever I go to a standard match, people are always using dark patches/colress machines/blastoise/emboar to attach multiple energy a turn and overtake me on the energy count and then just beat me, they are so over powered, I think we should make a custom mode where all these cards that make me lose the game a DIS-allowed. That way i can win and have fun while everyone else can use only 10% of the cards in their collection

um......that doesn't sound very 'fun' for the people on the other side...Yeah i run Colress Machines and Xerneas+Aromatisse in the same deck to power up Lugia EX so is that overkill on acceleration? So would cards like Xerneas, Aromatisse, and Victini EX be disallowed? I don't see those as much of a problem and same with Colress Machine...you only have 4 Plasma Energy (special energies) in your deck, and Shadow Triad is a Supporter...I get dark patch because it can be recycled by sableye (or diggersby)...and you can have way more than 4 darks (basics) in your discard...also, plasma dies to silver mirror

as for those decks being popular...all i see on standard these days are newbies getting beat(sorry, i was typing really fast and typed the wrong thing) by lugia ex...you can see my decklist in the deck construction zone under, fairy accelled palkia+lugia?, a plasma deck which really doesn't require a bunch of exs...and doesn't cost much either...i don't see why people think exs are such a big deal...mostly i think they're a liability because your opponents takes 2 prizes when it's KO...

so apparently my remark was a bit too rude, but in summary, you shouldn't call people's decks overpowered and ask for cards to be disallowed just because its causing you to lose.

everloyaleagle, the analogy for what you are asking for is basically to have everyone play baskatball with you but everyone has to have 1 hand tied behind their backs except you because you are bad at basketball.

Personally I don't feel this mode would be needed. There is a misconception that EX cards = OP. It's well constructed decks with the correct EX's that is strong. In fact most EX's are actually just plain bad cards, but there is a few that go above and beyond. Even some of the really strong EX's are only good with certain cards. As an example, Black Kyurem EX is a horrible card without the "Deluge" ability from Blastoise combined with Superior Energy Retrieval. On that note Blastoise even becomes a medicore card without Rare Candy being around. You are mis-identifying the EX as the source of the OP, when it's a well constructed deck with great card synergy that is "OP". That is a Tier 1 deck and what makes it Tier 1.

In any competitive game like a CCG you have to be willing to play top decks or you will lose a lot. This is not unique to Pokemon TCG.

In my opinion, I see the "Theme" deck option as the thing you might be looking for. Everyone is on the same footing and there will be no Tier 1 decks anywhere in that mode. They even have theme deck que for tournaments!

It's a competitive game, and either you get with the "meta" or you fall behind.

Personally I don't feel this mode would be needed. There is a misconception that EX cards = OP. It's well constructed decks with the correct EX's that is strong. In fact most EX's are actually just plain bad cards, but there is a few that go above and beyond. Even some of the really strong EX's are only good with certain cards. As an example, Black Kyurem EX is a horrible card without the "Deluge" ability from Blastoise combined with Superior Energy Retrieval. On that note Blastoise even becomes a medicore card without Rare Candy being around. You are mis-identifying the EX as the source of the OP, when it's a well constructed deck with great card synergy that is "OP". That is a Tier 1 deck and what makes it Tier 1.

In any competitive game like a CCG you have to be willing to play top decks or you will lose a lot. This is not unique to Pokemon TCG.

In my opinion, I see the "Theme" deck option as the thing you might be looking for. Everyone is on the same footing and there will be no Tier 1 decks anywhere in that mode. They even have theme deck que for tournaments!

It's a competitive game, and either you get with the "meta" or you fall behind.

I need to save this post somewhere so I can cut and paste for everytime a newbie complains about OP exs

Guest ArtichokeCat

haha lol i totally agree, i like to make decks based off of tier 1 decks...but with a little twist!

Archived