Port Fowarding?

PumpedAaron

As an avid online gamer, I myself have utilized port forwarding on my modem to allow for a more fluid connection. If its alright, can we players access port numbers concerning the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online?

Hello!

As can be found in the support portal articles, the ports required to run all features of the Pokémon TCG Online are as follows:

There are three ports that must be opened for the game to work: 8181, 5222 and 6967. 6967 is the "gateway" port that the client connects to momentarily to get information on which connection servers are available and their IP addresses. 8181 is the port that client makes a dedicated connection to in order to play the game. 5222 is the port that connects to the chat server.

​Hope that helps!

Hey there PumpedAaron!

Just as a quick update, the "gateway" port has been changed to port 39389. The ports needed to access the game are now ports 8181, 5222 and 39389.

Thanks for playing! :)

Thank you! But, I'm not completely savvy to port forwarding, and only just recently learned it. I know there's a prompt, along with the port numbers, asking about UDP or TCP or UDP/TCP, and well frankly, I don't know what that means. Eheh... could someone explain?

If you are connected to the internet, you most likely are paying an isp for the privilege. Using your modem, your isp gives you an ip address (sometimes referred to as a wan ip address). By paying for the connection you are 'loaned' a single ip address at a time. If you connect your computer directly into the modem, then other people can connect to your computer by that ip address. If your computer was running a program that allowed others to connect to it, it would need to 'listen' for connections on a specific port on your computer- for instance port 80 is used by programs that host website content and you can run a program that listens for connections and data on that port if you are a web server. For other people to connect to that program, they could just connect to your computer using your ip address and port of the listening program.

The trouble comes in when you want to connect more than one computer to the same leased ip address. What you do is you connect a router to your modem that splits up the connection. Now when you try to connect to a program listening for connections, if you just use the ip address and port, the router will not know which computer is running the program.

Port forwarding just tells your router what to do with connections for specific ports, and which computer these connections should be forwarded to.

-analogy time-

I live in a house and I have a mailbox. If I was the only person living in the house, when people sent mail to that address, I would just assume any and all messages were for me. However, if I got a few roommates, I could not just assume this anymore. To fix for this, all of members of the household made a list of all the types of letters they would hope to receive and who should get them, and now when those types of letters come to the house, they get to the right member of the household. Now Joe's letters from Joe's mom will correctly only go to Joe, and Kim's cheese-of-the-month packages are only given to Kim. Without any formal declaration of who gets what, everything would just sit in the mailbox and nobody would get anything, even if they were expecting a package.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Ah... that was a helpful analogy, but I still need to know the protocol for the three ports. Is it TCP, UDP, or both?

The prompt in my router settings also ask about "Start" and "End" ports, so I need to know that too.

I think setting it to both would do the trick. I am fairly sure it uses TCP only, but I am not positive.

Each router does it a little differently, I would recommend looking that up specifically for your router. I think if you use the same port numbers for the start and end ports that should do the trick.

If you have any specific questions about your computer or your router, I would suggest that you send a ticket into the support team, and they can help you further. To submit a ticket, simply click the link in my signature, sign in, and click "Ask a Question".

I hope that helps and best of luck!

I'll try that out and see if it works.

I did try to post a screen cap of it just now but, the forum seems to be "blocking" it in someway.

Archived