Mac users: is chat/friends working at for you? Yes or No

Omniver

I and several others have reported that chat/friends are not working at all on the Mac OSX version, even after reinstalling and changing usernames/passwords as recommended by technical support. Before further debugging, I'm trying to determine if any Mac users at all have friends/chat working at all or is this a universal bug.

I would really appreciate if Mac users would reply to this thread if Friends/Chat is working for you in PTCGO.

Many thanks.

Are you running 10.9.2? Was it also an issue with 10.9.1? What is the last OS X version that allowed you to access friends and chat features?

Do you have Mavericks' Parent Controls turned off?

Here are a few things that you can try:

1. Do a scan for adware / malware.

2. Open port 5222.

3. Run Repair Disk, restart computer, then re-set Permissions, and restart computer again.

4. Try running in Safe Mode.

Are you running 10.9.2? Was it also an issue with 10.9.1? What is the last OS X version that allowed you to access friends and chat features?

Fresh install of 10.9.2, two separate computers same issue. Multiple accounts, same issue. Don't remember when it last worked, logged first case of it not working in January, I gave up when I was consistently being given Windows debugging steps for OS X; figured I'd wait until a later release. Disappointed the problem is still there.

Can anyone confirm that it is indeed working for them???

Do you have Mavericks' Parent Controls turned off?

Here are a few things that you can try:

1. Do a scan for adware / malware.

2. Open port 5222.

3. Run Repair Disk, restart computer, then re-set Permissions, and restart computer again.

4. Try running in Safe Mode.

Before I debug further, can you please confirm that you have the latest Mac PTCGO client installed on an OS X 10.9.2 instance and it indeed is working with chat/friends? I would like to have at least one confirmation that this indeed works before I go further.

Hi, Prof_Jude, can you please confirm if you (or anyone else) does indeed have a chat/friends working on the latest Mac PTCGO client? If not, can we get this listed as a known bug?

Yes, Omniver, I can confirm that this issue does not apply to all Mac client users. I'm going to check on the status of this issue and will report back in this thread.

Thanks for your patience!

Yea i have been having the same problem too and i can't even add any one of my friends either is this because of the chat?

Mine is working perfectly. Just to let you guys know.;)
Hey wait can you add anyone to your friends list cause i can't even do that

Mine is working perfectly. Just to let you guys know.;)

Thanks Anyagezane. Can you please share what version of OS X you are running, your brand of router/firewall, and if you are using an account with administrative privileges? I'd love to try and find out what is different about our configurations.

For reference. I'm running latest 10.9.2; I use a SkyDog router/firewall but have also tested without any firewall/router to rule that out as an issue; and I've tried both administrator and non-administrator accounts without any success.

Hello trainers!

If you're still experiencing this issue, please see the latest announcement in this subforum:

Hello everyone!

The development team is currently investigating permanent solutions to the chat/lobby issues on Macs. They have found that a common issue seems to stem from the Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge feature, which can be temporarily disabled to allow regular play of the TCG Online. Here is a brief overview and the temporary workaround for this issue:

What is the Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge?

It is a way to network two Macs together directly via a Thunderbolt cable.

Do I need this if I'm connected via Ethernet?

No. This only effects your ability to directly connect two Macs together. If you are using this functionality you will need to undo the workaround to restore this functionality by switching network locations.

How do I disable the Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge?

- Open up System Preferences.

- Click on Network.

- Under location click 'Edit Locations..'

- Click the '+' symbol to create a new location.

- Give the location a name and click Done.

- Select 'Thunderbolt Network Bridge'

- Press the [-] button to remove it.

- Click the gear icon and select 'Manage Virtual Interfaces'

- Select 'Thunderbolt Bridge'

- Click the [-] button to remove it. Confirm even though it is in use.

- Click Done.

- Click Apply.

PLEASE NOTE: Switching to a network location that has the bridge active will cause the issue to re-occur. To switch back:

- Open up System Preferences.

- Click on Network.

- Select the bridge-less connection.

- Click the gear icon and select 'Manage Virtual Interfaces'

- Select 'Thunderbolt Bridge'

- Click the [-] button to remove it. Confirm even though it is in use.

- Click Done.

- Click Apply.

Yes yes yes, the above was exactly my problem (see thread 40292 in this forum, 'Friends not synced, multiplayer lobbies empty'). It's specific to Macs, and probably further specific to 'those that have the Thunderbolt bridge interface'.

I did the steps above and it did in fact fix my problem!

Archived