Display how much damage a variable attack will do

xOnionx

There are plenty of cards that have variable damage outputs. Attacks that do more or damage for each energy or for each damage counter can cause a player to have to count and often recount. It would be really easy if the amount of damage the attack would do if you attacked that moment was displayed in parentheses.

For example Yveltal EX has 2 energies attached and is attacking a Bouffalaunt with 2 energies attached with the "Bouffer" ability active. In parentheses next to Evil Ball it would display the amount of damage it would do with all counting and effects resolves, so it would display: Evil Ball 20+ * (80)

Base attack: 20 + Energy 4x2 = 100 - ability 20 = 80.

probably a bit excessive to have to show you all that math i think? is there a particular reason why you feel this is necessary?

I don't think the math needs to be displayed, I was stating it as an example of how 80 came about.

This is a bad idea. One of the wonderful things about Pokemon is that it teaches kids the importance of math.

so Onion, what are you proposing to be displayed?

The actual damage the attack will do in parentheses. This will take into account all damage modifiers as well. So if an Eevee can bite for 10 but has a muscle band on it, it would say Bite 10 (30) but if the opponent's active also had a hard charm on it it would say Bite 10 (10) Math would still be needed to build up an attack, it merely tells you after the cards are laid out for quick reference and more streamlined play. Ideally this feature would be able to be toggled on and off as it's of more use to some decks more than others, but it can also be very helpful for damage calculation to new players

I still don't see the benefit of adding the extra text though. It doesn't give much more information overall and I think beginners will still neglect certain factors and make noise when they don't end up dealing the damage they expected. It doesn't really help experts either because they would know very well how much damage they are dealing.

The only attack I think that would need this feature would be flareon's vengeance given that you have to go counting in your discards among the ocean of other discards. A lot of the other calculations really aren't that difficult.

Overall I don't think this really benefits anyone very much and its extra work for the devs. Plus I kinda like it that it doesn't show straight out for us, its leaves room for careless mistakes, which I think should be part of the game.

Guest ArtichokeCat

IDK i keep screwing up like 10 damage counters off...i think this should be a mode in the setting for beginners that can be turned off and on at will until you can used to doing the math yourself

Agreed, though I'd say: keep it really to (damage)+ and (damage)* only (so: not weaknesses, resistances, tools...) that aren't decided by coin flips obviously.

Note: with * I mean x. Censor forbids it for some ridiculous reason.

IDK i keep screwing up like 10 damage counters off...i think this should be a mode in the setting for beginners that can be turned off and on at will until you can used to doing the math yourself

if you have someone doing it for you you'll never learn to do it yourself properly

Archived