My Trading Philosphy - A Quick Guide to Proper Trading Etiquette

P1nkAvenger

I feel like this issue hasn't been directly addressed for awhile, so I would like to quickly touch base on it. When trading there are four main aspects that I always try my best to uphold.

Pricing Transparency

A true trader will always state his price. I am against that dreaded question, “what do you offer?” When someone asks this question RUN! Or expect to give up lots in order to get what you are looking for.

Transaction Integrity

There are times when traders are willing to overpay significantly for certain items. There is nothing wrong with this, however, a true trader will ensure the other party is aware of current market factors. Also, there are times when items can be mistakenly transferred /obtained either through human error or in game glitches, a trader with integrity would not hesitate to return such items.

Profitability through sustainable practices

A true trader understands that establishing a stream of long-term profits is by far more beneficial then cheating a player and making a quick buck. For the player who was cheated will eventually find out and naturally will hold a grudge.

My Preference when it comes to trading:

For the most part, I am happy to help out any player in terms of helping them find a card they want for our listed price. Certain cards are simply harder to stock then others. This is why I prefer to trade to traders who actually use/need to card for themselves. It gets very disheartening when you try to help someone out, and 5 minutes later they try to flip your item on the market for 5-10 packs more! If such a situation arises where my stock becomes very limited, I would always trade to the more deserving player.

Please feel free to comment and leave your opinions here. This is not a trend to single out certain players, please keep such negativity out of here.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Well, no matter how good a reputation a trader has, they will always post scam trades on public.

Well, no matter how good a reputation a trader has, they will always post scam trades on public.

Thank you for your feed back and opinion. The point I am taking from you is that; no matter how clean cut a trader may seem... I think all of us have succumbed to human greed/emotion at some point of time. It is important to have principles as you carry out trades as to limit this factor.

Once again your feedback is deeply valued.

I can attest that Pink is an honest, and fair, trader. Pink always has the cards I need and is willing to help me find some way to obtain them. Pink is sure to insure that I do not overpay and always let's me know the current price of cards.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Profitability through sustainable practices[/u]

establishing a stream of long-term profits

I do have a question...exactly how does a person do the above? As a person who's not so experienced with trading i would like to know how that works. :)

I can attest that Pink is an honest, and fair, trader. Pink always has the cards I need and is willing to help me find some way to obtain them. Pink is sure to insure that I do not overpay and always let's me know the current price of cards.

Your sweet lol. But lets not single out any players here whether it is a positive or negative remark. :D

I do have a question...exactly how does a person do the above? As a person who's not so experienced with trading i would like to know how that works. :)

In regards to sustainable practices. What I mean is don't be narrow sighted. For example you may be able to squeeze a pack or two out of a certain player, but make no mistake - people are not dumb - he will feel it and never want to deal with you again. If you are in this game for the long haul your reputation is more important than making a few extra packs, as your reputation will lead to repeat purchases from your customers.

Instead of making a 2-3 pack profit one time; it is better to make 0.5-1 over and over again. Also consider this, if you sell high, you are inducing the other player you sell to to sell even higher - which can be a vicious cycle.

Trust is really important when it comes to my regular customers and suppliers. Trust is built by sustainable practices like: fair pricing, honesty, and sharing market knowledge. Here's another example: If a newbie offers 10 packs for a FA N, this shows he has no market knowledge at all. If you point him to where he can independently get information he will remember this and always come back.

Sometimes when I am searching for cards in public, If i see a trader who has established a household name I wont even have to look at the price - I would just buy it!

Also remember when I said this: "I think all of us have succumbed to human greed/emotion at some point of time. It is important to have principles as you carry out trades as to limit this factor" - no one is perfect ^^

Instead of making a 2-3 pack profit one time; it is better to make 0.5-1 over and over again.

Although I completely agree with this, I believe there is a justifiable exception.

When a player Pm's me looking to sell a card, usually they ask me how much I pay for it, and I tell them. If they like my amount they trade, if they don't, we don't. Simple as that.

However, sometimes a player will come to me and say something like "Hey I have a Full Art Entei for trade, I'd like 3 packs." (An exaggeration).

This is my only exception to your rule above. If a player says that to me, I'm not going to disagree with them and tell them its worth more. And I don't believe I should, after all, they asked for 3, so even if they discover it was worth more at a later date, I really can't be blamed.

The information of prices is readily available for those who seek it out.

Although I completely agree with this, I believe there is a justifiable exception.

When a player Pm's me looking to sell a card, usually they ask me how much I pay for it, and I tell them. If they like my amount they trade, if they don't, we don't. Simple as that.

However, sometimes a player will come to me and say something like "Hey I have a Full Art Entei for trade, I'd like 3 packs." (An exaggeration).

This is my only exception to your rule above. If a player says that to me, I'm not going to disagree with them and tell them its worth more. And I don't believe I should, after all, they asked for 3, so even if they discover it was worth more at a later date, I really can't be blamed.

The information of prices is readily available for those who seek it out.

Thanks for sharing Nakuza. We have traded before and I definitely appreciated it when you go out and state your price immediately - as an experienced trader will always know exactly what he wants and wont be afraid to lead out with it.

Archived