My opinion on skyrocketing prices.

CheefSweetLeef

I understand there are some grievances with pricing lately. Most of the high value cards are not being traded in general right now and from my understanding are constantly raising nearly every day. In regards to beaches and other cards such as FA N they are fairly hard to come by right now and it is completely possible no one has any extras to trade at the moment. Either that or they just don't want to trade them in general which really can't be helped. Unfortunately no one can force people to trade cards they do not want to trade.

The basic just of it right now is this. Flashfire will be releasing very soon so everybody in the game who trades is after high value cards. The reason they are after high value cards is because they will offer the largest return for new packs on the day of release. Regardless of what we list a price as right now chances are they will keep climbing until the new set is released and then crash like has been the usual of late. My best suggestion to anyone looking for any high value cards (I.E. Beach, FA N, FA Skyla etc.) is to hold off on getting them. They will more than likely just crash when the new sets released and that is my honest opinion. Potentially making all of the effort you put into getting 60 packs for a beach just not worth it.

The games economy is in a tough state at the moment in my opinion. We have a very limited, highly used and desired card in Tropical Beach that is in extreme demand right now. Everyone in the game is trying to get them and not trading them. Basically making it the fastest rising card in the game. You have a lot of new packs being flooded into the game every set as well which are highly desired at first. Although within time they become less desired in general almost to the point of being unwanted. We are seeing this quite a bit right now with XY packs and we have seen it with older packs. The same will happen to FF packs when they have flooded the market in a similar fasion. Without booster codes or store access in every country there will continue to be a shortage of old packs. Which in turn will continue to create a larger demand for the older in format cards and rare promos etc. Basically anything that is not being continually opened will deplete with players joining the game, obtaining the cards & quitting. Essentially leaving them inactive on unused accounts. I see a very large problem with this because this trend will continue to go on unless they release a way to redeem older packs again. Outside of gems which are only available in 1 country I believe all other avenues have been removed. It seems to be getting worse each set. The older packs and cards keep rising as the new cards start out at crazy values because of the hype brought by new packs then drop overnight when the market floods. Unless everyone stops offering more & more for the high demand cards I don't really see a solution to any of these problems right now unfortunately.

I hope you can see and understand the problems faced here. If anyone has any feedback or possible solutions to these issues feel free to comment.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Thank you for this insight! This is going to save me a ton of packs! xD Also, the vir-gen prices will drop because of the fire support in FlashFire (FF). And i also see the pack problem right now, and the Plasma packs are getting to be more than XY because people realized that the only good thing was fa Yveltal ex, which has a tin. Meanwhile, the Plasma packs, have great SR cards and Fa Supporters. Plasma Blast in particular has Virizion and Genesect EX, too of the hottest cards in the game atm, which don't have any tins too drop the pricing. In addition, prices to Black Kyurem ex with Black Ballista spiked as well, so this is not a good time for consumers to be buying cards.

alot of people wont do any trading because people are offering stupid trades for their items, like an uncommon XY card for a prime or an FA virizion EX, its kind of a slap in the face to anyone that ended up trading alot of stuff to get their cards, why would anyone want to trade?

alot of people wont do any trading because people are offering stupid trades for their items, like an uncommon XY card for a prime or an FA virizion EX, its kind of a slap in the face to anyone that ended up trading alot of stuff to get their cards, why would anyone want to trade?

There will always be people trying to trade commons & uncommons for the rarest cards in the game. However i don't feel this really stops many people from trading in general personally. The point of this post is more about why cards are going so high in value rather than proving people make bad trades. All feedback is appreciated though thanks everyone.

Ok, I think people are using the booster packs as the credit to buy (not to trade) for the cards they want. The price of the card is depend on the rarity of the set, and their quantity. So what is the solution? take a look at the TCG shop, what you see there is there, you can use the token to buy well, most of the packs (i.e. 5 cards BPs and LT) and theme decks (with good cards), to obtain some rare cards (40% of chance for an EX in 5 cards booster packs, I think), and I think there is the only place that you can get cards without overpaying the token, unfortunately, they are not able to be traded. But we can see the point here that, should we set a general price for outsides trading shops as the TCG shop? do you think are you not lucky enough to get a demanding cards when opening 40 or more than 40 booster packs? As I see what had risen it price would has deceased if people can get more of what they want (take a look at LT set comparing to the others). English is my second language, any error please teach me : )

There will always be people trying to trade commons & uncommons for the rarest cards in the game. However i don't feel this really stops many people from trading in general personally. The point of this post is more about why cards are going so high in value rather than proving people make bad trades. All feedback is appreciated though thanks everyone.

it does if the game is full of people like that, its hard to sift through those that are serious and those that are trying to scam you, this is one of the reasons less people are willing to trade, with this, the less people that trade, the higher the prices go, and vice versa... the fact that people arent trading them, makes some assume that the card is slowly diminishing as you had said, which makes a trade less likely as value goes up even more....

the way i feel about it, the cards will become priceless at this rate, unless they add more ways of getting the older cards.

if that happened, it'd definitely tick off the people running a sort of pokemon card stock market.

Ok, I think people are using the booster packs as the credit to buy (not to trade) for the cards they want. The price of the card is depend on the rarity of the set, and their quantity. So what is the solution? take a look at the TCG shop, what you see there is there, you can use the token to buy well, most of the packs (i.e. 5 cards BPs and LT) and theme decks (with good cards), to obtain some rare cards (40% of chance for an EX in 5 cards booster packs, I think), and I think there is the only place that you can get cards without overpaying the token, unfortunately, they are not able to be traded. But we can see the point here that, should we set a general price for outsides trading shops as the TCG shop? do you think are you not lucky enough to get a demanding cards when opening 40 or more than 40 booster packs? As I see what had risen it price would has deceased if people can get more of what they want (take a look at LT set comparing to the others). English is my second language, any error please teach me : )

A lot of people on this game in general consider packs to be currency. Unfortunately with making free packs tradable though I don't think that could happen. It would cause people to cheat to get ahead in the game and would be easy to get away with. I'm not sure of the pull rate on the 5 cards packs. I would assume each pack has a different rate consistent with the cards in the set. I would also assume LT packs have a much higher chance to pull EX than other packs in general. The Lt set has also been one of the best sets in general for new players because of the amount of decent cards in it. Therefore it has been one of the more opened sets as of recent. I'm not sure what you mean by overpaying tokens as there are no other places to offer tokens other than the game shop. Maybe you meant overpaying real money for codes? I think the booster code cards are fairly reasonably priced at the moment. Just the lack of them the first few days of sets always causes the price to be high. For all we know when they release the store in game the packs could cost even more than people ask for the codes. That will be up to the company running it though. If you open 40 packs you are probably guaranteed a few good cards. However I don't feel that 1 single good card should ever cost 40 packs or be limited when it is in format. That is just my opinion though and everyone has there own.

it does if the game is full of people like that, its hard to sift through those that are serious and those that are trying to scam you, this is one of the reasons less people are willing to trade, with this, the less people that trade, the higher the prices go, and vice versa... the fact that people arent trading them, makes some assume that the card is slowly diminishing as you had said, which makes a trade less likely as value goes up even more....

the way i feel about it, the cards will become priceless at this rate, unless they add more ways of getting the older cards.

if that happened, it'd definitely tick off the people running a sort of pokemon card stock market.

I agree to a point that that may be keeping people from trading. The game has always had a fairly large amount of people looking to take advantage though. Although I believe the ability to see all of the trades at all times is shedding more light on it in general. That may be making what you said come true somewhat. From my point of view right now there are more people trading for high value cards more than anything. The only reason they are doing this in general is because of the impending set release. People want a large return on card values so they are stocking up on the most valuable items. For instance an N FA would trade for more newer packs than most other cards. Making it probably the hardest to get card at the moment because everyone wants that return rate. I think that if they added easier ways for everyone to obtain old packs and new packs right away. Such as might happen when gems are released etc. should fix the problem for the most part. If everyone could get the packs day of release and they opened them right away the market wouldn't be so dry for new cards. People wouldn't have to offer rare cards just to get the packs the first few days. That and it would put an increasing supply of older cards into the game lowering or at least stabalizing the values of Legends, Primes & other cards potentially over time. Tropical Beach will eventually be rotated which will then end the huge price it has always asked more than likely. I never thought i'd see the day i had to raise some cards to what they are at right now on my thread. I can't really help what the market is like at the moment though which is why i created this thread to bring attention. The high value cards are undeniably hard to get and being held on to for this new set release. It is just unfortunate that we need to rely on the distribution of the booster credits via real packs right now. Outside of the tokens you can save to get a few packs but it's usually slow going with that route and they are untradable, which doesn't influence the market quite as much as it could be.

Hope this helps shed a little more light for everyone.

I agree to a point that that may be keeping people from trading. The game has always had a fairly large amount of people looking to take advantage though. Although I believe the ability to see all of the trades at all times is shedding more light on it in general. That may be making what you said come true somewhat. From my point of view right now there are more people trading for high value cards more than anything. The only reason they are doing this in general is because of the impending set release. People want a large return on card values so they are stocking up on the most valuable items. For instance an N FA would trade for more newer packs than most other cards. Making it probably the hardest to get card at the moment because everyone wants that return rate. I think that if they added easier ways for everyone to obtain old packs and new packs right away. Such as might happen when gems are released etc. should fix the problem for the most part. If everyone could get the packs day of release and they opened them right away the market wouldn't be so dry for new cards. People wouldn't have to offer rare cards just to get the packs the first few days. That and it would put an increasing supply of older cards into the game lowering or at least stabalizing the values of Legends, Primes & other cards potentially over time. Tropical Beach will eventually be rotated which will then end the huge price it has always asked more than likely. I never thought i'd see the day i had to raise some cards to what they are at right now on my thread. I can't really help what the market is like at the moment though which is why i created this thread to bring attention. The high value cards are undeniably hard to get and being held on to for this new set release. It is just unfortunate that we need to rely on the distribution of the booster credits via real packs right now. Outside of the tokens you can save to get a few packs but it's usually slow going with that route and they are untradable, which doesn't influence the market quite as much as it could be.

Hope this helps shed a little more light for everyone.

i could definitely see that, the seeing all trades subject, and the trading high value cards more subject

it would be nice to have a sort button for trades, but from what i hear (idk if there is truth to this or not), the public trades are going to be going down before long.

i have to agree as well, packs shouldnt be the best form of currency that we have, and those that cant pay to play are getting kind of cheated on trading with other players.

ive thought about suggesting the removal of free packs at logon and instead lowering the price of packs and possibly making the purchase of tradeable AND non-tradeable packs an option, for those that dont care to trade, the none-tradeable packs could be a little cheaper than the tradeables.

its an idea...

As a trader I am beginning to see a pattern now that we have the like code for like pack system. When a new set comes out it is at a premium, gets more per pack for the first week or two. It gets this premium for two reasons few people have it and so they want more value per packs when trading away the packs. And people want the new pack therefore willing to sell for less.

After week one and two the supply increases and the demand decrease making the value of the packs more stable for the next set of weeks until people have what they want from the set. This is why the most wanted packs is generally the current set.

Three to four weeks before a new set comes out the value of all packs goes down as most have what they want and traders start to stock up on what has the most value. Now cards have more value then packs as cards can be traded for the new set where packs do not trade as well. This raises the cost of the high value cards are they are the rarest. The good news here is that the only high value card that does not have a cheaper alternative in Tropical Beach. This card is equally expensive to get in real life and not in as many decks as the majority of FA cards.

So the bottom line. Bling has a cost, and is a form of currency in the game that transcends packs and is used by traders to store value as the value of packs goes up and down and as packs are released and age.

Lastly keep in mind set rotations as well. At one time the Prime cards were the wanted cards now though wanted they do not have the value they once did

Archived