Proposed Errata to "Damage Swap" and "Sinister Hand" abilities.

PumpedAaron

This may have been brought up in the past, but I wanted to voice my opinion on Reuniclus BW's "Damage Swap" Ability and Dusknoir BC's "Sinister Hand" Ability. The current card states that you can only move one damage counter at a time, but many players essentially use it to move several damage counters during their turn.

So, how about these cards get an errata so that it would state that you can move "as many damage counters as you like" from one Pokémon, to another Pokémon?

I understand the technical obstacles as well, however. The board state needs to check for KO's or other effects that might activate during each move of a damage counter, right?

Is the game engine capable of putting in a number prompt during use of this Ability, for the sake of efficiency?

Hello PumpedAaron,

As the Pokémon TCG Online strives to remain an accurate representation of the real-life TCG, we do not add unofficial cards, errata, etc. to the game. However, if you have any feedback or suggestions regarding the current game mechanic, I'd be happy to jot them down for the Dev team to take a look at. :)

Thanks for your understanding!

Hey Pumpedaaron,

The reason why an errata like that is not possible is:

Imagine you have a Pokemon with 180 hp, that has 17 Damage coutners on it.

Reuniclus Ability says you can move one at a time, so if you decide to KO that Pokemon with 180 you will have to move one damage counter at a time on that Pokemon, so it is KOed after you moved the first Damage Counter.

If the ability said "as many DMG-Counters as you like" you could move 50 DMG at once on that Pokemon, and "get rid" of 40 additinal DMG.

That explains - at least to some point, why you have to move one at a time =)

The biggest problem right now is the huge number of selections and confirmations involved. A simple drag&drop-style solution would be best I think.

Yeah, I hate playing these type of decks as well as playing against them here on TCG.. The method for moving damage counters around needs to be fixed ASAP!

I know that when I face one of these decks I usually just scoop to them right away because of the incredible amount of time it takes to perform these tasks on TCG... (sorry if that offends someone but I just don't have time to wait while these manipulations are made...)

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly what you mean! But if the damage-manipulation mechanic doesn't change sometime soon, we're basically trapped into this...

The Ability states you can use it as many times as you like, so there could just be a prompt asking "how many times will you use Damage Swap?" for example. There would be some restriction in the prompt if you try to add more damage counters than the Pokemon's current HP can hold.

That's the solution theoretically, I'd say. The previous prompts are fine, but there could be a final prompt asking how many times will you use the Ability. You simply input a number, like "17" and zip! 17 damage counters moved in a few seconds instead of around a minute.

• 1 month later...

For the love of all things Pokémon TCG...lol...it would be nice to click "from", enter in how many damage counters "to" move, and then reconfirm before applying, and save us all time for more fun! =)

Hey Pumpedaaron,

The reason why an errata like that is not possible is:

Imagine you have a Pokemon with 180 hp, that has 17 Damage coutners on it.

Reuniclus Ability says you can move one at a time, so if you decide to KO that Pokemon with 180 you will have to move one damage counter at a time on that Pokemon, so it is KOed after you moved the first Damage Counter.

If the ability said "as many DMG-Counters as you like" you could move 50 DMG at once on that Pokemon, and "get rid" of 40 additinal DMG.

That explains - at least to some point, why you have to move one at a time =)

Considering its EASY to make checks for that, this is not a valid reason. For example.

1) Activate Ability

2) Game shows list of Pokemon with Damage Counters. Select one.

3) Game shows list of Pokemon who Damage Counters may be moved to. Select one.

4) Game checks if any Pokemon are knocked out due to this. If so, BREAK out of the loop (breaking out of the loop, cancelling the Ability being used) and proceed to follow KO'd Pokemon stuff. If no Pokemon are Knocked Out, return to Step 2.

5) Continue through Step 2-4 until "Done" is selected.

There is absolutely no reason for these abilities to require as many clicks and image popups as they do. Loops and If statements are a part of basic programming. Its not as hard as you might think.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to know if there has been any discussion on the developers' side as to a more efficient way of moving damage counters around than what we currently have in place. The current method is way to cumbersome and tedious for both players to do and watch being done..

There has been discussion on this topic on several occasions. We've got a few things in the works which will give players the option to speed up these types of actions from an animation standpoint, but I'm putting together a proposal for some user flow improvements as well.

Thanks. The thread highlights to me the biggest online mechanic that could be improved.

MOMIMOMIMOMIJI's description is very nice, but there needs to be some mechanism to make sure you can't move more damage than there are HP in the damage-receiving pokemon.

Improving this would be awesome. In some tournaments, I think I have spent way over 5 minutes damage swapping. One tournament I advanced to the final round and the person asked me what took so long. The answer, of course, Sinister Hand.

Archived