The Wild Blaze is rising! A Flashfire is coming!

JaxCervelle

Let's be completely honest: when purchasing booster packs, you're probably going to end up with lots of bad cards. But, with the soon-to-be-released-in-America Flashfire set on the horizon, things are looking up! So, here are some of my favorite cards for when the set comes out:

Protect Cube:

It's a tool card, you attach it to one of your Pokemans, and they cant be hurt by their own attacks. It's sounds simple, and it is. But, this is going to be put into a lot of great combinations. Gogoat can deal 90 for 3 energy, and taKe 20 damage, but now you won't! Simple as that!

Pyroar:

This Stage 1 can't be harmed by basic Pokemans. That includes EX. Need I say more?

Toxicroak EX and Dragalge: These guys go hand-in-hand so well. Remember Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank Gym? Toxicroak EX is pretty much the same thing. For 2 colorless, it poisons the opponent, and you place 3 counters instead of 1 between turns. You can even use Virbank to maximize it to 50-per-turn! Dragalge makes it even better. His ability prevents the defending Pokemon from retreating if they are poisoned. You're going to see this used a lot in the future!

Perhaps nots so obvious but might have potential.

Milotic - late game acceleration almost as effective as a scramble switch and promoting more evo decks, also paired with ditto may allow it to adhere to ex's too.

Floette - Paired with Venusaur Ex and its Mega, in addittion to Virizion EX, and thanks to several ways of recovering from potion, super potion, cherrim and Pokemon Center Lady chances for a one hit ko even with yveltal ex may be bit more foggy than it may seem.

Druddigon - Slightly more obvious but easily paired with pryroar, latias ex will need to think twice before making an appearance, and other very popular dragon attackers are looking for a kick in their back side!

preventing retreat isn't that new a thing, snorlax and hypnotoxic laser could've acheived a similiar result and that plan was already foiled by virizion ex

Surprise Megaphone- Oh, wow. I really didn't expect something this powerful. Remember 'Tool Scrapper?' It was devastating, ruined Garbodor, and Tool Drop. Surprise Megaphone is pretty much what happens when you let a designer get carried away. "Discard ALL tools attached to your opponents Pokemon. Goodness, and it's only an ITEM! Even if this was a Supporter, it would still be fantastic. Watch out for this one...

Surprise Megaphone- Oh, wow. I really didn't expect something this powerful. Remember 'Tool Scrapper?' It was devastating, ruined Garbodor, and Tool Drop. Surprise Megaphone is pretty much what happens when you let a designer get carried away. "Discard ALL tools attached to your opponents Pokemon. Goodness, and it's only an ITEM! Even if this was a Supporter, it would still be fantastic. Watch out for this one...

To be fair it only completely ruins tool drop.

unless your running a total of more than the normal amount of tool scrappers in your deck, which now you can run more than four without the need of sbaley/dowsing machine

so overall this wouldnt massively have such an impact on garbardor decks.

Its all about timing and most players are smart enough to not play all their tools at once if it can be helped. it just means there is much greater cost to pay if you play more than two tools on your pokemon in play. However saving the tools in your hand may bring more annoyonace from cards like N/Ghetsis

Meowstic- Hmm, kind of a mixed bag on this one. He can move damage around similar to Dusknoir, but instead of being an ability, it's an attack. Not the best, but he's only a stage 1, so I guess it's a fair trade. Until Dusknoir gets obselete,I don't imagine this being used.

Imo only good ones: Pyroar,,can be used in any deck if you run rainbow energy. Toxicroak can be used in any deck with virbank and it will probably be used in garbodor decks. Drudiggon can be used as back up if you go against Black Kyurem or Rayquaza. Surprise megaphone for tooldrop,,i don't see that card doing better than scrapper against any other deck...Lysandre rocks,,many players will panic and rage quit,,,and blacksmith,,without emboar fire types like reshiram or entei can hit in first turn,,there are probably some other cards that i don't know about, but i think those cards will be very usefull in decks...

Basically, they split Evoilite in to Hard Charm and Protect Cube...

Actually Eviolite only reduced the damage received from attacks (including self-inflicted) by 20 done to Basic pokémon. Hard Charm only reduces by 20 the damage done by an opponent's attacks, but it can be used on any pokémon. Protect Cube can also be used on any pokémon, but it completely eliminates all self-inflicted attack damage (even the massive 50 recoil received by fire-type M-Charizard EX!)

I'm looking forward to Slip Trip ability Goodra, shut down that annoying Garbotoxin once and for all. After all, Garbodor can't activate its ability if you can't attach a tool.

Imo only good ones: Pyroar,,can be used in any deck if you run rainbow energy. Toxicroak can be used in any deck with virbank and it will probably be used in garbodor decks. Drudiggon can be used as back up if you go against Black Kyurem or Rayquaza. Surprise megaphone for tooldrop,,i don't see that card doing better than scrapper against any other deck...Lysandre rocks,,many players will panic and rage quit,,,and blacksmith,,without emboar fire types like reshiram or entei can hit in first turn,,there are probably some other cards that i don't know about, but i think those cards will be very usefull in decks...

Don't forget the Flame Torch item card, that'd be like an excellent 1-2 punch with Blacksmith: use 2 to discard 2 fire energies and draw 4 cards, then play Blacksmith to attach those energies to a fire pokémon.

Protect cube is something useful for someone who uses chansey or sawsbuck(eg.)If you use something like that of course you like it.

Also, Pyroar is a really good card!I kinda like him too!

To be honest, Lysandre is only good because Catcher now requires a coin flip. Though I say Catcher is still the better choice, since it's an item, and there are lots of ways to get items back into play, even if they only have 50% rates. We have Diggersby and Sableye, and until they rotate out, I can't see Lysandre being much more than a Nuicance. Pookaveli might come up with something good using this, but I still think catcher is the optimal choice.

Protect cube+Mega Charizard anyone? 300 damage, no recoil, no discard no nothing. Slap on emboar and have some fun. Potential turn two 300 damage.

I don't think pyroar will be all that great, it's attack is sub par.

Also, I see megaphone completely replacing tool scrapper, I don't see why not given it discards more cards and has no drawbacks.

Kangaskahn EX looks good as a starter, triple draw (draw three cards) for one colorless is nice, it's megaform does 100 for three colorless and 30 more for each head flipped until you get tails. Thats 100, no draw backs for 3 colorless, not bad. Plus high HP.

Pokemon fan club looks like it will be good, it's a slightly downgraded pokemon collector, a card which was very popular before. It could be even better in a metagame focused on basics like EXes. Similarly Lysandre is catcher in supporter form, which I have mixed feelings about. They have downgraded it a lot, which i think is good, however it is still a dangerous card late game and i see it being run as a one or two off.

I reckon Dusknoir could see some use, paired with max potions to heal, although aromatisse is stiff competition. The new snorlax card looks interesting, especially if paired with virizion or slurpluff. Furret looks interesting as draw support. Lopunny looks fun, like the old HGSS togekiss. However with less usefullness attackwise. Carbink looks interesting, so does luxio. Shiftry looks awesome. Other than that stuff like forretress looks cool for spreading damage

Otherwise magnetic storm looks interesting for decks who suffer from type matchups, sacred ash looks interesting too, prank scoop is very interesting disruptionwise... Sabeleye is going to be ever more annoying...

Magnetic Storm definitely makes fighting decks playable now imo. Also, Fan Club helps Round decks out big time. As for Protect Cube, I know ive mentioned this before, but Solrock PLS anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please tell me how to redeam code cards!!!

asking in the wrong place. but its under the shops section

Guaranteed catcher (Lysandre) is back. Nothing else matters now. Some people will say it's balanced because it's a supporter card, but if that's the case then why will it be included in every 'serious business' deck? The value of a draw supporter card is easily overshadowed by recently released cards that can make up for it (normal draw trainers, draw abil Pokes), not to mention the amount of energy accel that's available now. It's very easy for some decks to energy accel quickly so that they can setup a Poke that can one hit something, then they'll use Lysandre on the opponents benched pokemon that makes X strategy work or has energies on it, and then KO it.

This is obviously far more valuable than spending a turn on a draw supporter, nor is a draw supporter needed every turn. A lot of creative decks are going to become unplayable @ higher tiers again, and then it's back to the same old boring meta decks. Again. In short, this set is way too destructive:

-Evo decks (esp stage 2) are gonna have to put 2+ basics in 1 turn up again which means they'll have to dedicate deck space to making that chance more likely to happen again - deck space that was previously used to include cards which made them more competitive. High retreat cost Pokes also take a big hit, making the inclusion of more switch effect cards mandatory again; this really cuts a lot of decks down which leaves very few of them that remain effective. (Lysandre)

- Garbo variants are going to take a big hit, tool drop is completely dead. (Megaphone)

- Pretty much all Plasma decks are 100% dead - it was already game over without enough non ex Pokes if they vs'd against sigil/suicune but now even including Kyu/Snorlax won't save them. Virigen takes a double hit, as it's now required to add in an evolution line + has the glaring weakness vs Fire - which received A LOT of energy/draw accel (damage upkeep) with this set. (Pyroar)

So, all in all the new set is more OP than ever since so many things were made ineffective by it. All according to plan of course, because it'll force people to buy the new set. I'm just gonna play with sigil/suicune and pair it up with raichu/dusknoir/lasers to counter those new fire decks. If I can be bothered to be serious I'll probably run some form of broken exeggcute + weavile + electrode + lysandres + megaphone. Sacred ash possibly makes this deck even better, and it'll 1hko most things, which seems to be the only way to win even more than ever now (Dusknoir, nurse supporter, Goodra). Boring :(

Guest ArtichokeCat

I'm very scared of Lysandre...I started when LT came out...when they put an errata for catcher, so i have no idea what to expect...i guess it'll kill Palkia Ex decks like mine....pyroar reminds me of the saying fight fire with fire...i would put a a 2-2 pyroar line to deal with pyroar (ohkos other pyroar with muscle band) but instead i have a 2-2 trevenant line because i don't have the packs for it...pokemon fan club+sacred ash are giving round a pretty good boost

Archived