Trainer Challenge AI Quirks

Ken92

While playing in the City Championships on the hard difficulty, I noticed a couple strange behaviors on two of the trainers. Juji's Gigalith would keep using the Shear attack despite having more than enough to use its other attack, eventually forcing her own deck to empty out. Grayson, if he has a benched Raichu, will place all of his energy onto that Pokémon and never bring it into the active slot. That was, at least, my experience. Can anyone else confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Another AI quirk is that, whenever it uses a Pokémon ability/Trainer card that involves choosing a pokémon from a bench (Either yours or his/hers), it will always choose the leftmost pokémon - leading to strange actions like having two Switch in its hand, switching its active pokémon with the leftmost one and then using Switch to put its leftmost pokémon on the bench as the active one, which is the one that was active before the first Switch

• 2 weeks later...

About loading energy onto a Pokemon: I've discovered it happens when said Pokemon has an Exp Share attached. Have seen Pokemon with 10+ energy attached (ALL of them directly attached: NONE by Exp Share's effect). They also seem to refuse to make that Pokemon an active one, constantly sending out their 0-energy Pokemon.

Guest ArtichokeCat

That's why i get scared when juji's (however you spell it) gigalith rock bullets me..

classic Pokemon are the ones they simply have more effects witch can easily build strong and basic strategies.:rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Egad, do I have a list.... I can categorize them, too:

Specific AI opponents:

- Juji: Can confirm that every time Juji's Gigalith is out she only ever seems to use Shear, regardless of Energy attached, ultimately depleting her deck and losing the match. I've seen her Gigalith with over 10 Fighting Energy attached and still she chooses Shear over Rock Bullet....

- Penelope: Anytime she gets Empoleon on her Bench she will use Diving Draw every turn. If she gets both her Empoleon on the Bench, she will use Diving Draw twice (one for each Pokemon), ultimately emptying out her deck almost as fast as Juji. (I once won a match in this manner ... without even executing a single attack of my own!)

- Rika: Has Power Plus cards in her deck, but I've seen her use these cards on Pokemon that don't have Energy attached (and thus cannot actually attack on the turn she plays the item!)

Items:

- The AI will always use any Trainer card it can legally play at the moment, even when there is no useful purpose served by doing so. Examples:

- Using a Potion (etc.) to restore just 10 damage from a Pokemon. I'm pretty sure I saw one match where the AI used its ACE SPEC card (Max Potion / Full Restore or something) to heal just 10 HP. Cases where those 10 HP actually enables it to survive the attack I plan to launch next are quite rare.

There are also Item cards that the AI should generally treat like Supporter cards and not play more than one per turn of:

- Pokemon Switch: I've seen the AI use two of these in a row, even to swap the same Pokemon immediately back in. (It wasn't even affected by any Special Conditions, either. So the AI just wasted two cards.)

- Pokemon Catcher: I've even seen the AI use two of these in a row. If the first one fails, okay; but if it works, don't use the second one during the same turn, and especially do not switch back in the Pokemon you just switched out.

- Ether: I've seen the AI use two Ethers in a row. Now if the first one works, great; but if it fails, the second one will necessarily fail (a failed Ether returns the card back to the top of the deck) unless the player is required to perform some kind of deck shuffle/draw between them.

Energy management:

- Very often the AI will put most of its Energy on a single (and usually Benched) Pokemon. I have yet to figure out any method to this madness, but it is responsible for me being almost undefeated in the Trainer Challenge mode.

- The AI doesn't seem to recognize that certain types of Energy should be attached first (e.g. Water on a Water-type) or its Pokemon can't attack. I've seen Pokemon with a fearsome 5-6 Energy attached, but they're all the wrong type for what attacks the Pokemon actually has on it.

Switching Pokemon:

- The AI is almost guaranteed to switch out a Pokemon with low HP, even when it's better to make its Pokemon go down fighting (i.e. do one last attack before getting KO'ed the following turn). And this does not save it if you have any Pokemon that can attack the Bench directly.

- Every time you KO the AI's Pokemon, it only ever sends in the Pokemon on the rightmost spot on its Bench (closest to its Prize Cards). This is also the first spot filled when playing Basic Pokemon from its hand (the AI fills its Bench from right to left, just as you do left to right). So if the AI has a lot of Basics in its hand, what happens when you land a KO is that the AI sends in a replacement (from the rightmost spot on the Bench), then on its turn it fills that same spot with a new Basic; on your next turn you knock it out, causing the AI to send out the Pokemon from that same spot on the Bench (the Pokemon is still on its first turn of play, and almost guaranteed to have no Energy attached), then on its turn it fills that same Bench spot again... lather, rinse, repeat until you win. I've swept a majority of AI matches solely on its inability to send in any Pokemon capable of fighting back (a "revenge killer"). (Now to be fair, when the AI chooses to swap Pokemon it generally picks a capable one to send in, but when you land a KO it does not.)

- On a similar note, if the AI does anything that makes it switch your Pokemon, it only ever seems to switch it with your Bench spot #1 (or whatever leftmost spot is on your Bench, closest to your Prize Cards).

I have a new one that might actually be a bug/glitch. In the final (City) League, against one opponent, this is how the battle went...

I used my lead Pokemon primarily to stall while I set up evolved Pokemon on the Bench. The AI trainer whittled it down 20HP at a time until it had only 10HP left.

Then the AI just . . . stopped attacking me. For the next 7-10 turns it did absolutely nothing but put Pokemon on the Bench and attach Energy (while I mostly did the same). It didn't even play any Trainer cards (none whatsoever).

Then I swapped Pokemon, and suddenly the AI kicks back in. I've never seen that many Item cards played in one turn before.

• 3 weeks later...

No offense guys, IMO this is nothing worth complaining about. Try facing Penolope when she gets Turn-3 Empoleon and Gothitelle and see how much you like the Better AI. Not a single theme deck in B&W or X&Y can match some of the decks they run on Trainer Challenge, even if the setting is on easy. I'd rather have the AI dumbed down so I can run through the TC, get my pack for 12 wins and my 36 free tokens and get back to facing real opponents with better decks than theme decks.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Yeah Mick has like the Most OP deck ever.

can choose to Thrash you and sweep your deck

but he wants to be nice about it and just Fire Fang. :)

Trainer Challenge is just waiting until you get a pokémon that does 70-90 damage with one attack and than you K.O. one basic pokémon with 0 energy each round. That's really boring. You win the games with only 1 pokémon. But you have to do it to get the free packs...

No offense guys, IMO this is nothing worth complaining about. Try facing Penolope when she gets Turn-3 Empoleon and Gothitelle and see how much you like the Better AI. Not a single theme deck in B&W or X&Y can match some of the decks they run on Trainer Challenge, even if the setting is on easy. I'd rather have the AI dumbed down so I can run through the TC, get my pack for 12 wins and my 36 free tokens and get back to facing real opponents with better decks than theme decks.

Some of this depends on the difficulty setting. If you set it on Easy or Normal then it's expected the AI will occasionally be nice to give you a chance, but when it's set on Hard the AI should be playing its deck the best it knows how. Besides, a large factor in matches is just how quickly you can stock Energy and evolve Pokemon -- i.e. what cards you draw from your deck in what order. A lot of theme decks (even the Basic ones) can be quite powerful if you get the right draws -- the basic Fennekin deck for example is a bit lacking in the power department but if you can get that Delphox out and have a lot of Fire energy to feed it, you'll be doing 120 damage per turn and not much can stand up to that.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that you're working with canned decks, I think it would be more of a problem if the the AIs didn't act like gibbering lunatics. Strictly speaking, their decks are much better than the decks you're given. Think of it like a handicap in your favor; you get low-tier synergy, they get the intellectual capacity of a small dog.

Yes, I've had quite a few AI matches ruined very early on because of bad draws (i.e. no Basic Pokemon to bench and no cards to draw/search my deck with), one of them in literally two turns. TWO! But still....

For example, I still have yet to see the AI properly play a "Power Plus" card in the City Championship. The latest case was with Rika -- she had two Regigigas-EX on her team and I get my Team Plasma Jolteon (Frost Ray deck) out and start pelting them with Electri-Defuse (which blocks a Pokemon-EX from attacking). THEN SHE USES A POWER PLUS CARD ON REGIGIGAS. Hey Rika, you even read what it says on the card? Those EX's are sitting ducks....

... How did you use the "frost ray" deck in the city championship Challenge games?

...the same way as any other Theme deck?

Frost Ray is currently one of my favorites; yes it is a little lacking in its Pokemon-searching ability, doesn't offer much healing either, but Jolteon is an EX killer and Noctowl is a wrecker when the AI draws too many cards.

Oh, and I recently had a match where the AI player ran themselves out of deck when I still had nearly 30 cards left in mine. I don't think I've ever seen the AI burn through its deck so fast (even faster than matches involving Diving Draw Empoleon and Shear Gigalith)....

...the same way as any other Theme deck?

Funny, I only have access to the Fire, Water, and Grass theme decks on the challenge. How do I unlock the others?

Frost Ray is no longer available for purchase in the shop for tokens. You'd have to buy a code to unlock it. You can either buy the full theme deck or just the code card.

Guest ArtichokeCat
Frost Ray is no longer available for purchase in the shop for tokens. You'd have to buy a code to unlock it. You can either buy the full theme deck or just the code card.

Oh didn't know that. :(

Actually, playing again, I noticed something about the City Championship on Hard difficulty. It's essentially a series of puzzle bosses.

If you have an elemental advantage, it is somewhat easy to win with the right deck. But I notice that many of the AI opponents seem to be suited to being defeated by a certain strategy or deck. All of the Mike/Bianca fights more or less reward playing Water, as does Mika.

Another part of this, rather than just type match-ups, is actually the AI exploits. Mika, for example, will ALWAYS put energy on Chandelure and Registeel EX. Which means no matter what she has active, legendary or not, she will not attack with it, nor will she switch. Get into that position, switch in Lapras, and take everything out with Water Arrow, and she'll just deck out. Same with Cammie and Silcoon.

Archived