Contest: Design A New Card! #2

Najito

What up, designers?!

Welcome to the second edition of the Design A New Card! contests series! :cool:

After the great success of the 1st contest and seeing that Neilk is also holding a contest of his own, I thought it only makes sense to continue holding more for the community! :)

So, without further ado, here are your taskS for this week:

1) Design a new Trainer card for an item that was featured in the DS/Gameboy Pokemon video games that doesn't already exist in the Pokemon TCG card pool! Any item you choose will work whether you want to make it an attachment like Muscle Band or not. It's entirely up to you but the effect of the card must be similar to the effect of the item in the video games.

Here are some examples of items from the video games that don't have cards in the TCG yet:

Life Orb, Black Sludge, Choice Specs, Calcium, Electrizer... etc.

Remember, the item you choose does NOT have to be from the list above. Those are just examples for inspiration.

2) Design a new Trainer Supporter card of a character from the video games or the Pokemon anime! This one is pretty straightforward, right?

Here are some example of characters from the video games and/or the anime that don't have Supporter cards yet:

Barry, Team Rocket Grunt, Dawn, Elite Four Agatha ...etc.

Rules:

1. One entry for each card per participant. One post for both entries.

2. You cannot mess with the Supporter cards usage rule. (You can only play one supporter per turn)

3. The most-balanced and creative card in each task deemed by the judges of this contest will win the prize.

4. You must submit your entries before April 11th at 23:00 GMT also known as 16:00 PST.

5. Once you have submitted your entries, you are not allowed to change them, so think carefully before submitting them. (Editing your post will result in a disqualification from this contest)

6. NEW RULE: You must explain the reasons behind the effects you chose for each of your cards briefly!

7. Have fun!

FreeSpirit87 will be judging in this contest along with others whose identities will be revealed later on.

Prizes will be announced later on. Rest assured they will be as good as the prizes of the 1st contest if not better! :cool:

Any questions?! Good luck and have fun!

1)

DRAGON SCALE - Trainer

Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn't already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it. If that Pokemon is Knocked Out, discard this card.

If this card is attached to your Dragon Pokemon, it provides 2 energies of any type, but only 1 energy of any type at same time. You cannot play card named 'Dragon Scale" more than once during your turn. At the end of your turn, discard this card.

---------

Why card like this?

I was always huge fan of dragons but they are not so popular in the meta because of their complicated attack costs (many and different energy types). This card could help them to be avaiable in play.

2)

CHAMPION LANCE - Trainer

Supporter

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Search your deck for any 3 Dragon evolution Pokemon, show them to your opponent and put them into your hand.

------------

Why card like this? Like I said before I love dragons and additional search card would be great to help setup and make stage 1-2 dragon decks playable.

Sorry, forgot to mention that each entry/card will be judged separately! Meaning you have two chances to win a prize!

Jery, please pay attention to rule #5. It's best you submit both entries at once in order to avoid possible disqualification. I'll let just this one slide but please read the rules carefully and understand them clearly, next time. ;)

Pokemon Item

Mega ring (item/tool/Ace spec)

If pokemon this card is attach to mega evolve, your turn does not end.

this item can help us to set our blastoise, and shortly charizard early in game and attack in same turn, but only once per game cus it's ace spec

Pokemon supporter

Zinzolin (supporter/team plasma)

Shuffle all energies from play and discard pile in it's owners deck

this should be good against yveltal and thunderus (clear board, and pile) and for ur virizon or blastoise to return energies to deck[h=3][/h]

Trainer Card:

Mach Bike

Item

-

Add 2 energies to your pokemon from your hand.

-- Simple and straightforward. Who doesn't want to just speed things up sometimes?

Supporter Card:

Lilycove Department Store Lottery Lady

-

Flip 6 coins.

If 1-3 heads, this card does nothing.

If 4 heads, you may search your deck for any 3 energies and attach them to one of your pokemon.

If 5 heads, take a prize card.

If 6 heads, search for any 3 cards and put them in your hand. Play your turn twice!

-- The reason I chose to make this card is because this NPC in emerald once gave me a masterball and I felt the luckiest man in the world at that moment xD

Trainer-

Item

Accuracy:

your coin flips are heads for the duration of your turn.

--I was thinking of modeling this card after X Accuracy, but how do you increase the accuracy of a pokemon in TCG? maybe by improving coin flips-i.e. if you flip a number of coins (not until you get tails of course...haha unless there would be a max damage) to deal ____ X damage. It occurred to me also that not only could this slightly improve the effectiveness of laser by itself, if your pokemon also computes damage by ____ X special conditions...

Supporter

Dawn

You may return two Supporter cards from your discard pile to your deck.

-- I wasn't being overly creative here. But off-hand I think that perhaps being able to return shuffle draw cards like Colress and Shauna to your deck if you can afford to wait a turn might be preferable over discarding cards (like with Juniper.)

TASK 1:

Focus Sash - Trainer - Tool

If the pokemon this card is attached to has full hp and would be knocked out by an opponents attack, that pokemon is not knocked out and its remaining hp is 10.

TASK 2:

Giovanni - Trainer - Supporter

If your opponents hand size is 6 or more cards you may look at their hand, return any 2 cards you like to his/her deck and your opponent randomly discards one card.

Lets go with these: possibly not the best, but lets go with some fun here :D, looking forward to seeing other peoples entries!

Here's my entry

Item

Mega Evolution Stones

(Pokemon Tool)

You can only attach this card to your active pokemon. At the end of your turn, search your deck for a mega evolution card that mega evolve from your active pokemon and put it onto your active pokemon (this counts as mega evolving).

Reason: I love mega evolutions but sadly the card mechanic has too many drawback so hopefully this cards can help accelerate the mega evolution. The effect only activates after the ending of the turn so i think its quite balanced since you cant attack with your mega pokemon right away. Besides, this card stay attached even after activation so it fits the game since pokemon holding mega stone cant hold other item :)

Supporter

Korrina

Search your deck for 2 basic energy cards and attach them to 1 of your mega Pokemon in play.

You can only play 1 supporter per turn.

Reason: for those that do not know who she is, Korrina is the lady that gives you mega ring after you beat her at Tower of Mastery. As I said, I love mega evolutions and really wants more cards to support their playability. This card is based on the idea of supporter-based acceleration going to be introduced in Flashfire set. As for balance, to be honest i would say this card is quite OP (maybe even more than dark patch haha), but the catch is that the energies can only be attached to mega, so the fact remains that mega pokemon can only start attacking in T3 earliest, but it helps ensuring a T3 attack.

Item:

MysticWater-Pokemon Tool- You may attach this card to one of your Pokemon. When this card is removed from the field, the effect it provides ends.

As long as Mystic Water is attached to a {W} Pokemon, the attacks of all {W} Pokemon on the field do 20 more damage, and reduce the damage taken by {W} Pokemon from attacks by 10. If the Pokemon this card is attached to isn't {W}, ignore this effect.

Supporter-

Lorelei's Desperation- This card can only be played if you have only one Prize card left. Search your deck for up to 4 in any combination of Pokemon and Energy Cards that are either {W} type or have {W} in their energy cost. You must play every single card you chose the same turn you played this card, or you lose your last Prize.

From OP:

6. NEW RULE: You must explain the reasons behind the effects you chose for each of your cards briefly!

The ones who forgot to do that, please do so in a new post quoting your entry. Don't edit your original post!

TASK 1:

Focus Sash - Trainer - Tool

If the pokemon this card is attached to has full hp and would be knocked out by an opponents attack, that pokemon is not knocked out and its remaining hp is 10.

TASK 2:

Giovanni - Trainer - Supporter

If your opponents hand size is 6 or more cards you may look at their hand, return any 2 cards you like to his/her deck and your opponent randomly discards one card.

Lets go with these: possibly not the best, but lets go with some fun here :D, looking forward to seeing other peoples entries!

Reason for item: Oh one hit knock outs, how the online world has become rife with them, this card offers a hope to those constantly seeing quick lugia exs, slowing down certain decks momentum, though a tool scrapper from the opponent clearly hurts this idea.

Reason for Supporter: The maestros of mischief, team rocket were always there to annoy trainers and now their boss is here to disrupt your opponent, this card is clearly good, and so can only be used should your opponent have a large hand size, may make players think twice about using the effect of tropical beach!

Multi Plate-Trainer

Item/AceSpec

Pokemon Tool: Attach to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn't already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it. If that Pokemon is Knocked Out, discard this card.

Once per turn,when you attach a basic energy to the pokemon this card is attached to,you may also treat that pokemon as the same type as the energy you attached.

I chose this because I like how Arceus is able to be all types,but only 1 type at a time.

PokeNerd-Trainer

Supporter

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Search you deck for 3 different Pokemon cards and reveal them to your opponent(If there are less than 3 pokemon cards left in your deck,put this card in your discard pile and shuffle your deck.)He/She then chooses 1 of them.Add that card to your hand.Shuffle the rest back into your deck.

I Chose this idea because it would give you the ability to search for a selection of pokemon without having to discard like with Ultra Ball.You select 3 different pokemon,so you wouldn't be able to choose all Yveltal EX,Mewtwo EX and so on,and your opponent selects which one is added to your hand so it isn't way overpowered.

Quick Claw - item

this item provide [c] and the attacks of the

pokemon this card attached to do 10 less damage

to ur opponent's active pokemon.

reason : i feel like energy accelerate has a big role

in every meta deck(like emboar and blast , dark pacth

virizion ex or thundurus) while the deck w/o energy accelerate

or cant have a good accelerate have a rough time in

competitive play. and i feel like we need new way to

accelerate energy to shift the meata

so this card will be the light for beat down deck and

also turn unplayaeble ex(kyurem ex zekrom ex reshiram ex

articuno or even black kyurem non balista version)

to playable again.

red - supporter

search ur deck for a pokemon and an basic energy card.

put that pokemon in to ur bench and switch it to

ur active pokemon and attach an energy to that pokemon

reason : i feel like we need more beat down deck

other than big basics. so this card will change the meta a bit.

thanks

Red card

Pokémon tool

If the Pokémon this card is attached to is damaged by an attack from your opponent’s active Pokémon, select a Pokémon on his/her bench, that is now your opponent’s active Pokémon. Discard Red Card afterwards. If you opponent’s bench is empty, do nothing.

The idea behind this card is to force you opponent into switching into a Pokémon that they don’t want on the field for one reason or another. Because you can choose what will be the new active Pokémon, you can make it something that you can easily KO, or stall for time if need be.

Ice [from Pokémon rangers shadows of Almia]

Supporter

Show your hand to your opponent and discard all the water energies you have. Shuffle all the water energies on your field and in your discard pile back into your deck. Your turn is now over.

First off, yes, I know Ice is about as obscure as Pokémon game characters come, but come one, he is cool [no pun intended] enough to have his own card. At 1st glace, some people will scream that this is too powerful, and others will shake their heads saying that it hurts you too much to justify using. This is a card that should be used as a last resort late in the game and only if you have a deck that is 2 or more types. First, the positive is that you now have reclaimed all of your water energies and they are back in your deck. I shouldn’t need to say how useful this is especially late in the game when you have burned through a good chunk of your energies. Now that alone would be too powerful, so the large negative effect is needed to balance it out. The worst thing is that all the water energies have been removed from your hand and field, so you are going to have to wait until you draw them to place them on your Pokémon again, but it gets worse because you also have to end your turn. Even if you have another Pokémon that doesn’t use water energies ready to go, it won’t be able to do anything until your next turn, so your opponent will have a chance to really hurt you if you aren’t ready. Over all, it is a card that should only be used at the right time otherwise you will really get hurt.

Red card

Pokémon tool

If the Pokémon this card is attached to is damaged by an attack from your opponent’s active Pokémon, select a Pokémon on his/her bench, that is now your opponent’s active Pokémon. Discard Red Card afterwards. If you opponent’s bench is empty, do nothing.

Never mind, it turns out that there is a Red Card card.:mad:

Note to self, stop trusting Serebii’s cad database until it is updated.

Design 1

HMO3: Surf - Trainer- Item (Pokemon Tool)

The Pokemon this Tool is attached to may use this cards attack as its own.

Surf [W][C] 60

Ignore the type of the Pokemon this Tool is attached to. This attack type applies the effect of a [W] Pokemon

(You cannot have more than 1 HM03 in play.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is a combination of old TMs and Genesects ACE SPEC. I t is a HM hence it isn’t disposed after an attack but has a restriction to keep it balanced. A rarity of uncommon/rare may best suit this card and perhaps others following a similar scheme reaching a rarity of rare/holo. Just like a video game this could be the start of Pokemon Cards hitting for more than one type and bringing in further mind blowing complexity.

. .

Design 2

Officer Jenny –Trainer- Supporter

Your opponent can't play any energy card from his/her hand onto any of his/her Pokemon in play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly I was inspired to do Officer Jenny after I had seen an outstanding art of a fan made card of it (with Growlithe), and since a card similar to Nurse Joy is to be released why hold back? I picture this card of Officer Jenny blowing her whistle ready for action.

The idea of this card is to have some sort of hierarchy control/order like polices have. Not playing energy can result to being in a overpowered position/even if you have the Blastoise/Emboar in play. However there are always some loophole to the rules as it doesn’t prevent effects such as Thundurus ex if energy is already played, or movement and if there is a lot of energy in play already. This card is likely to build some hype

1) Life Orb

Trainer, Item

ACE SPEC

Pokémon tool: attach to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon tool card attached to it.

The attacks of the Pokémon this card does 50 more damage to your opponent active Pokémon (before applying weakness and resistance) and your active Pokémon take 20 damage to itself every time the Pokémon attached to this card attack.

You can't have more than 1ACE SPEC card in your deck.

Reason: The reason is that there is no ACE SPEC card that does extra to your opponents Pokémon that can attach to any Pokémon, so have 1 of the powerful items. Life orb to do more damage than muscle band and silver bangle . This may be a bit OP for toolbox and some powerful decks, but the tool card has its cost, its recoil damage of 20.

2) Xerosic

Trainer, Supporter

You may play only 1 supporter during your turn (before your attack).

Search your deck for a energy card and attach it to your Pokémon. shuffle your deck afterwards. you cannot attach an energy card from your hand during the turn you play his card.

Reason: Xerosic is second in command of team flare and he needs to b a supporter card with Lysandre that is coming in wildblaze. Since some cards searches for energy's and adds them to your hand, xerosic attaches 1 (any) energy card from your deck to your Pokémon, however the cost is you can't attach any energy cards from your hand to any of you Pokémon because it would be a very fast set up to attach 2 energy in a single turn.

Trainer: Magnectic Disruption

Each pokemon in play have no resistance

Reason: From existing mega-ex, most of them have no resistance.Since there is no stadium card yet to enchanced the usability of mega's, this card is likely to help especially mega blast against virgene deck. This allowed original damage to done on them.

Supporter: Team flare trickery pollen

During your this turn, any damage done by weakness is 4x instead of 2x

Since more and more mega ex is introduced, this supporter is needed to provide more path to one hit KO mega.

Trainer: Memory flute(tool)

The pokemon this card attached to, can use the moves from its previous stage(U still need to pay the necessary energies to use the moves)

This tool basically to help mega's. According to all mega's revealed, most mega's required tons of energies to make a move. Putting this card will help them using move with lesser energy.

Supporter: Mom's delivery

Search your deck for 2cards and place them on top of your deck in any order

Searching card directly is too strong.Since delivery required time, I will makes the effects as real as possible.This card have very high flexibility.U can search juniper at 1st and other card on second,the next turn u draw your juniper, u can straight change your hand to turn around the table.This card weakness is N or red card which shuffle your deck after the supporter is used.

I quit for half year and there is a big improvement on player creativity(Although someone copied my name=.=)..btw, great job najito. :D

Here is my idea

Trainer: Volcanic mountain

Damage done by burn is 20 damage more in between turn

Simple, since there is virbank that cuz severe poison, burn should gave similar effects to be fair

Supporter: Rival's return

During your this turn,deal 40 more damage onto the defending pokemon(If u did not do any damage originally,this card have no effects)

This card is similar to IRIS. However, IRIS is barely been used due to its dependence on prize. This card ignores prize count and make a sudden KO on your opponents pokemon especially mega's have really long life. Imagine when your rival's return, u will have the urge to show them ur improvement and thus dealing higher damage :D

Trainer: Lucky evolution

Whenever each player puts a mega ex from his hand onto its ex(this count as evolving a pokemon),the player may flip a coin,in heads,the player turns does not end instead

Supporter: Brock's gift

Search your deck for a special energy card and put it into your hand

Reason for trainer: Helping mega ex straight will make them overpower,since they have high hp and superb attack,thus,my stadium card is only to give them a chance to got lucky and ignore the effects and reach a balance between mega ex and non mega ex deck

Supporters: From B & W era,to the new X and y,we can see many players like to use special energy(BLEND,DCE,Prism etc) to get the effects of virizion ex or shadow circle and more.Mew2 ex and yvelteal ex also looking forward to get their DCE to make a suprise ambush while yvelteal ex become more playable in some deck with prism or rainbow.However, searching special energy can really change the game lik DCE,so I would like to limit this as a supporter so we couldnt use it on same turn as skyla or lysandre. The idea is simple and this is what exactly pokemon community apply to Lysandre,the new catcher now. I name it as brock because brock is a cute character who good in making food for pokemon,thus,v can relate it as giving 'special' energy to the pokemon who takes his food ;)

On top of that,i would also thx NAJITO and judges for continue his effort to make such contest,all the best. :)

Escape Button - Tool

After the Pokemon this card is attached to attacks, you may switch your active pokémon with 1 of your benched Pokémon (excluding Pokemon-EX).

Explanation:

This card gives non-EXs some really interesting support. Stage 2 attackers in particular is often quite hard to keep attacking with. With this card you can increase your chances of keeping them alive and provides EX filled decks with some new issues to think about. It really pair well with Pyroar, Trevenant, Latias EX and Safeguarders.

The item works the opposite way from the Video Game, you switch out when hit by an opponents attack. However that would make it a lot less viable and interesting in my opinion.

Roark - Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then put any 2 cards from your discard pile into your hand.

Explanation:

Roark is very fitting for this kind of effect since hes excavating dead cards from the discard pile.

The effect gives you the option for very strong recovery. While I think both being a supporter and keeping your hand size limited makes it balanced. It can really help decks which struggles with resources late game and promotes the play of single trainers which in turn gives you more room for creativity when building decks.

Archived