Garchomp/Altaria....Viable again?

NeilK

Ok so my last writeup was on Trevenant and I had a lot of people disagree with my article. However, as I was looking for cards to buy on the Internet and card shops, I stumbled across something that may revamp the format a bit. It comes in the form of a new promo EX, which looks very cool ( in my opinion anyways) and will also feature a decent attack. The card is XY09 promo Garchomp EX. This is the literal text of the card, if you look across the Internet for it you will also be able to find an image, however the card text is as follows: Garchomp EX- Dragon- 170 HP. {****** Dual Chop- 30x Flip 2 coins. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads. {W} {****** Power Blast- 120. Discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon. Ok, ok. So its not exactly Tornadus DEX. It does however, make a pretty good case for itself as maybe a card that gives Garchomp/Altaria decks a fighting chance? Most FluffyChomp decks revolve around using Gabite's Dragon Call to get the Chomps set up, while Altaria primarily benchsits to add support with its ability, Fight Song. Now, with Garchomp EX, the deck has a stable wall with which to set up at the very least, and Garchomp EX can become a problem right off the bat with Power Blast. Now, it does take 3 energies, and without any form of acceleration in this deck it may have some problems. However, it does have a nice and balanced 170 Hp and in a deck that traditionally attacks very cheaply, spending the extra energy early may pay off in the form of a couple unanswered Power Blasts. Now, as far as how to play this card, to tech in or to make a main attacker, I personally think Chomp EX makes a wonderful main attacker, and it has a very high output potential with 2-3 Altaria benched and then Muscle Band, totaling for a Power Blast that hits 180 damage and OHKO's most EX's, with the added bonus of hitting Ballista and Ray EX for weakness XD. now, tell me that's not cool XD. Also, for the Blastoise player, maybe consider teching one or two? It lacks the Grass Weakness, with Blend WLFM/Prism/Rainbow energy, whichever you choose to run, youre looking at having Turn 2 setup for cheaper than it costs to Ballista? Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe the attack isn't doing as much, but it also costs less and deals enough to make the opposing player think twice. So there you have it folks, Garchomp EX. Thoughts, opinions? Oh, and sorry I keep writing in walls of text. The computer wont let me hit enter so I cant do paragraphs at work, which is generally when I write these.

I guess the acceleration in the main thing there, takes 3 turns at least to get that thing running assuming you hit the right energy and manage and attachment each turn. A lot of other decks can potentially set up faster. and if you're lucky and you did get that power blast off, you'll be looking for energy to put on it again. the garchomp altaria from the start lives off a low energy ratio, so to make this work you'l have to either add energy to the deck or add retrievals, I don't think super rod would be advisable for this deck since it doesn't gurantee energy in the hand and is mainly put in to recycle garchomp lines.

also adding this garchomp does take away the advantage of the 1 prize tradeoff that the garchomp altaria deck had.

the thing also has a 2 retreat cost which means to get it out you'll need to add ultra ball to the decklist as well, and even then u might prefer to use the ultraball to get another garchomp/altaria line going instead.same case can be made also for dragon call ability.garchomp is still the main attacker and should be prioritised.

I don't think the garchomp deck ever had issues when dealing with black kyurem ex or rayquaza ex or their baby counterparts, the garchomp line is so dragon focused and low energy dependant that i probabaly handles those dragons no problem. the problem is it doesn't handle much else too well.

I think garchomp altaria already had its big break when catcher rules were changed and prevented gibles from going down turn 1, dont think garchomp ex has much to add to it. I really wish it would so I'd be keen to see how it turns out

I think the new garchomp ex.. wont fit well for garchomp/altaria deck :( (I love garchomp/altaria, it one of my very first deck :D, hence i like to comment on this). It because the deck follow a certain theme that the EX- wont support. For garchomp/altaria it all about the recovery rate to keep the attack constant every turn (hence the rescue scarf and max potion), and the low energy ratio support this theme.. etc. The new ex seem very clunky for this purpose. First, it hold 2-3 energy, meaning until it is dead... (which worth 2 prize, not one XD), my energy consistency for the deck that i have initially, diminish. Another way that i like to look at this is, i rather attach 1 fighting energy to 2 garchomp (non-ex) than 2 fighting energy to 1 garchomp ex. Not to mention garchomp-non ex attack does one of the coolest thing :D (discard special energy, which should be very appealing in the metagame right now ;)).

The new garchomp ex attck isnt really to die for either... and there are simply better choice. If we looking at ex, for a quick stall, i think latias ex would even does better than the new garchomp ex. For non-ex, the new drugigon with revenge coming out in the wild blaze edition, also hold 2 energy for it first attck. It would fit "ok" for the deck and "punch" better for a cheaper prize exchange, albeit retreat cost.. suck X( << i still consider this over the ex-version of garchomp.

I de really love for garchomp/altaria to have some toys to play with, but the new garchomp-ex just doesnt have that... "ohh, i want to put you in my deck factor".

Ps, I dont mean to antagonized or argumentative. Excuse me if it does sound that way :).

Most of the pre-mega-evolutions EXs that are out are a lot to be desired(except the new charizard ex that does a 4 energy 150 dmg atk called flame explosion or something??). I think however, the new Lysandre supporter card may have a place in garchomp/altaria decks; much moreso than garchomp ex.

Archived