The new deck search is confusing.

Spartanclone001

With the newest update, searching through my deck is confusing. The problem that I am experiencing is that I find it much more difficult to be able to determine how many of a particular card is left in my deck because the deck keeps “looping” (for lack of a better term) when scrolling through my entire deck. Simply put, I don’t know where the deck begins or ends, and thus it is difficult for me to count what cards exactly are left in my deck. Wither I play a card like; Ultra Ball to search for a Pokemon, or a card like Skylia, to Search for an Item Card, determining what is left my deck is not an easy task anymore.

I propose going back to the original feature that was in March’s update. I find that being able to view my entire deck all at once with 4-cards per row is much more convenient and a much necessary step that highly competitive players must have. Knowing exactly what is left in your deck is an absolute must for a successful game. A player has to know what resources are available for him/her to make future plays throughout the course of the game. Wherever a player plays a Card that searches their deck, aside from doing its effect, a player takes the opportunity to see what cards specifically are left in their deck.

Thank you for your time and I hope my suggestion helps!

I absolutely agree. To make it clear, clearly the developers attempted to make search cards easier to use by limiting the results to only the relevant types of cards (e.g. Ultra Ball shows you all Pokemon, Skyla shows you all trainers). The problem with this is, as Spartan says, that it's no longer true to reality where you can always see everything still in your deck. Hopefully it's indeed obvious to the team that competitive players need to be able to check counts of certain cards, as well as the presence of certain clutch cards whose count may be low to begin with.

If nothing else is fixed for a month, it should be this! Thanks. :)

Hey folks!

Thanks loads for the feedback! Signed, sealed and delivered to the appropriate peeps.

Gracias muchos 'n stuff!

Also, please get rid of the side-scrolling when searching/looking at your cards whether it's those in the discard pile or those in your deck. I like to be able to see more of them at one time displayed so I can get a better idea of that I have. This also is less time consuming when you can view more at one time, as opposed to this current method of only seeing 2 to 3 cards at a time...

I absolutely agree. To make it clear, clearly the developers attempted to make search cards easier to use by limiting the results to only the relevant types of cards (e.g. Ultra Ball shows you all Pokemon, Skyla shows you all trainers). The problem with this is, as Spartan says, that it's no longer true to reality where you can always see everything still in your deck. Hopefully it's indeed obvious to the team that competitive players need to be able to check counts of certain cards, as well as the presence of certain clutch cards whose count may be low to begin with.

If nothing else is fixed for a month, it should be this! Thanks. :)

Thank you!

Wait! There's a "see all cards" button in the lower left corner! :) How did I miss this?

I think this means I must take back my issue; now we have both options. In this case, the relevant-cards only filter is nice enough for new players. :)

I'm sorry I doubted anyone! But Spartan's layout issue is still spot-on IMO.

Edit: But why not make viewing all deck cards the default instead? :)

The deck search pop-up that was implemented yesterday is likely to receive tweaks before it's considered "final". There are a couple of ideas that I've been championing for the last couple of weeks when we've had discussions about improvements.

1) The game currently creates a continuous carousel loop if the number of cards displayed is above a certain amount, and creates a clean break between the beginning and end of the carousel if the number of cards displayed is below that amount. I've been lobbying use a clean break that is between 1 and 3 cards "wide" to indicate where the carousel begins and ends before it loops, regardless of the number of cards being displayed.

2) When doing a deck search, replicate the carousel that occurs when you use the View Deck option in the Deck Manager. This compresses all duplicate cards into a single stack, with a quantity indicator below it. Moving a card from the upper window to the lower would reduce the count in the quantity indicator by one, and moving it back to the upper window would increase the quantity indicator by one. This would make for fewer cards to scroll through, and give the player a much faster idea of what resources remain in the deck. Since the game does the shuffling for you, there would be no need to worry about sufficient randomization occurring afterward. As an aside, I'm also pushing to make the discard pile view use something similar, but with the Tile View in Collection.

Keep pitching ideas that you think would improve this specific feature, or the game in general!

I think that the Carousel view for deck search, although somewhat inferior to Tile view in terms of a more 'holistic' view at the deck, actually replicates real life deck search. You cannot spread the cards out in a grid irl, you have to quickly skim through like you do in a carousel view, so a major +1 for that.

About showing the card numbers instead of individual cards in a deck search, this takes out the realism mentioned in the above paragraph. You don't get numbers when you do a deck search irl, you have to keep count of the important cards you're looking for as you skim through the deck.

Also, having a card gap to signal the beginning and end of the carousel is a good idea.

I agree that the carousel method needs to be scrapped altogether! I wish you could go back to the old format/layout of 4 cards in a row and 3 to 4 rows on the screen at a time. Thus, you could see about a dozen cards at a time.

The deck search pop-up that was implemented yesterday is likely to receive tweaks before it's considered "final". There are a couple of ideas that I've been championing for the last couple of weeks when we've had discussions about improvements.

1) The game currently creates a continuous carousel loop if the number of cards displayed is above a certain amount, and creates a clean break between the beginning and end of the carousel if the number of cards displayed is below that amount. I've been lobbying use a clean break that is between 1 and 3 cards "wide" to indicate where the carousel begins and ends before it loops, regardless of the number of cards being displayed.

2) When doing a deck search, replicate the carousel that occurs when you use the View Deck option in the Deck Manager. This compresses all duplicate cards into a single stack, with a quantity indicator below it. Moving a card from the upper window to the lower would reduce the count in the quantity indicator by one, and moving it back to the upper window would increase the quantity indicator by one. This would make for fewer cards to scroll through, and give the player a much faster idea of what resources remain in the deck. Since the game does the shuffling for you, there would be no need to worry about sufficient randomization occurring afterward. As an aside, I'm also pushing to make the discard pile view use something similar, but with the Tile View in Collection.

Keep pitching ideas that you think would improve this specific feature, or the game in general!

Mike, you have been working very hard on PTCGO and the Pokemon TCG community greatly values all your work! We will continue to give you our feedback and offer only constructive criticism. We are here to help and offer our advice :--) and we are very greatful that you and your team listen to our suggestions!

I really HATE the new deck-search view , to say the least. It's confusing and ruins the game experience.

I had no problem with the previous deck search. It just worked and was simple to navigate through. The best feature of a deck search option is to be able to see all (or many) of your cards at once, in my opinion, and be able to determine what cards are left in your deck.

When searching my deck, I would like to have a larger viewing area, like when I search my discard pile. I just love how I can see a lot of cards at once. If you can do that type of view with a number indicator to show how many of a certain card is left, that would be even better.Think of my idea like this:

[********************************************************************************************]

but instead of discard pile, deck.

[/color]

Sorry, Mike, I had a picture to show you but this site does not allow web links. Those "****" are not profanity, it is a web link I would like to show you.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to know if any of these suggestions are really being considered. It's easy to say they are being passed along, but what happens to them after that?? Are they put in some type of ranking system by the Dev Staff??

I think the old format is better for two reasons.

1. tile view - the grid is a fast way of seeing your cards and can see many at a time

2. click to select - the drag is annoying!!

the new format has its upsides

1. limiting the cards you can see for people who don't care about the other cards (newer players)

2. harder to select the wrong card

3. mimics real life (on view all mode)

My ideas to incorporate the old ways in the new

1. instead of dragging to the open slot, simply click the cad you want and its image comes up in the slot. still provides good feedback to prevent errors but no annoying dragging (maybe a dialog box confirming when no cards are selected)

2. the see all cards button brings up the tile mode - these players just want too see whats in their deck quickly, the carousel is time consuming (maybe a permanent toggle in the settings menu)

3. the gap between the beginning and end is a smart idea

Archived