Modified Community Tournament Format Guidelines (Collaboration)

Kanacho

MODIFIED COMMUNITY TOURNAMENT FORMAT (MCTF)

BACKGROUND

-------------------

I've been playing the Pokemon trading card game since I was little, and I've loved it since I got my first deck. I've played a lot of the POTCG, but I noticed something... There is very limited restrictions on card use and formatting guidelines. It seems that almost every match you see Mewtwo with double colorless energy, tool drop decks, or Verbank/Lasers and it tends to get a bit boring or even frustrating! I saw that there is quite a few of tournaments on these here forums, but none really go in-depth on restrictions or anything like that. Card games tend to have a "Banned" and "limited" card list, as well as a possible formatting guide. In order to improve tournament regulations for those who wish to put some restrictions into place, I decided as a community, we should come up with a list such as this giving players a standard easily available for implementation in these Tournaments and such. This will allow hosts of tournaments to simply mention this community-based format as the Tournament format, putting restrictions on those pesky tool-dropping decks (Which are getting a counter soon :D) and the like.

HOW IT WORKS

Simply post in the comments bellow what formatting guidelines should be implemented/added to the current list bellow. If many people think that a particular restriction should be applied, then I will add it to the list. Participants may also remove certain restrictions by posting a comment about that as well. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope that we can make a common format for ALL to use if they want a change in the meta!

BANNED CARD LIST:

1. Tropical Beach
  2. Lugia EX

RESTRICTED CARD LIST:

1. Yveltal EX - 2 Maximum
  2. Gensect EX - 2 Maximum
  3. Deoxys EX - 2 Maximum
  4. Hypnotoxic Laser - 3 Maximum
  5. Colress Machine - 2 Maximum

FORMATTING RESTRICTIONS:

1. Only Standard legal cards are playable (Next Destinies - X and Y)
  2. Yyveltal EX cannot be in the same deck as Mewtwo EX
  3. Verbank City Gym cannot be in the same deck as Hypnotoxic Laser
  4. Players may only use a maximum of 4 EX Cards per deck (This does not include Mega Evolutions).

I am totally against this idea, to start with. Most (if not all) tournaments IRL do not have any restrictions apart from the sets you can use cards from. These restrictions would be okay in a new kind of limited metagame, but I do not think they have a place in the Modified metagame. Pokemon has only ever banned a card from the metagame twice (IIRC), which was the Sneasel and Slowking way back in Gen II, because they were broken.

Furthermore, you think tool drop decks are pesky? I think everyone would disagree with this. They are not popular at all and they just won 1 State Championship (which is the only reason why they would be considered tier 1).

Here's more:

1. No decks run more than 2 Mewtwo EX (at least in the current format)

2. Only decks focusing on Genesect EX (Vir/Gen) run about 3 Genesect EX, but they don't need to. They would probably function just as well with 2 of them.

3. Deoxys EX is not much use if you don't have enough of them, that's what makes that card balanced. If you restrict it's use to 2, then it probably won't be used much.

4. Same goes with lasers. If you don't have 4, you might as well not have them.

4a. Lasers without Virbank is just silly. No one will run them.

5. It doesn't make much of a difference if you restrict Colress Machine use. You only needed 4 of them for those speedy Tornadus decks, which no longer work because of the new first turn mechanics. You can do with 2 (though you would like more) for other plasma decks.

6. Yveltal is used much more than Mewtwo, and is also more powerful, so restricting Mewtwo and not restricting Yveltal is weird. But again, restricting any of them is bad. Yveltal is a top threat in the current modified metagame and you need to be able to counter it if you're a serious TCG player.

7. I am against restricting the number of EX cards, as well.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but these are my honest thoughts.

you know what would be fun. Have a tournament where each players is given a certain number of packs. Open those packs and build a deck on what they get. No source of complaining there... (bad luck isnt a valid argument XD). May be instead of restricting thing, make it more interesting in this way. if you pull 4 mewtwo ex in 10 packs (LT dont count)... I would surrender on the dime :D.

I think the game currently is pretty balance albeit a little bias toward the dark type development but I think they're working on that so any "real" restriction isnt necessary. I would settle for non-ex vs ex tourney, other than that, i dont see any cards worthy of being ban in the current metagame. Player who run their own tournament can, of course, set their rule accordingly but no "guideline" should tell them how to do it in term of limitation or restriction.

First of all, I appreciate your opinion, and taking the time to read my post. I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I'm not saying there needs to be any change to the current actual meta-game in the Pokemon TCG, but rather I wanted to propose a new rather standard meta-game by restricting certain cards to various amounts and offering formatting rules to prevent repetitive non-original decks from being over-played. These rules by no means HAVE to be enforced, nor do I think they should actually be implemented into the standard game, but rather this provides an alternative to people who want more of a change of pace in their tournaments on the grounds of community consensus.

Once again, I do appreciate the comment, but I wish that you would see my purpose in creating these standards, rather than thinking I'm saying there is something wrong with the current meta-game.

"I think the game currently is pretty balance albeit a little bias toward the dark type development but I think they're working on that so any "real" restriction isnt necessary. I would settle for non-ex vs ex tourney, other than that, i dont see any cards worthy of being ban in the current metagame. Player who run their own tournament can, of course, set their rule accordingly but no "guideline" should tell them how to do it in term of limitation or restriction."

Well, I see what you are trying to say, but I just want to make my purpose clear. By no means am I trying to force a change on the current meta-game, nor do I want to force a specific set of rules that everyone HAS to abide in for their tournaments. As the title of this thread suggested, this is a "Collaboration" of the community in order to create a new meta-game type for people who MIGHT want to use this guideline in their tournaments, but by no means is anyone being forced to do this.

The purpose of these guidelines is to promote a sub-meta-game that would entice players into trying things they never done before. Having to play against the same Tier 1 decks gets a bit tedious and boring in my opinion, so I thought having a more unique meta with wider options would help entice player into making unique and fun decks.

Once again, I never said there is anything wrong with the meta-game currently, nor did I say that these rules HAVE to be enforced, but rather if players WANT to enforce these rules generated by the community then they easily have the option to.

Well, then, I must apologize. I probably did miss your point. So, what you're essentially trying to do is have a balanced alternate metagame (which I can say, in the future, would form the basis of a tier system, similar to the tiers implemented in competitive play of the Pokemon games - Uber, OU, UU etc.). In that case, having restrictions and ban-lists does make sense. So, sorry again about my previous bashing of your post. And I would like to see how this develops.

NP! I appreciate you took the time to take a second look! Thanks again for your post, I did in fact change a thing or two on the list because of it.

No hard feelings :)

This format is interesting, I would like to play this as the alternate ban list develops. What do you think of blastoise decks and black kyurem ex? I would think that deck would be dominate with the current list you have.

You know, I dont think that a bad idea at all now that i take a second look at it. As takkun mention, if it somewhat analogous to competitive pokemon game where tier such as uber, ou, uu ... etc is implemented, it could be very fun. I can see why a uu deck wouldnt be happy playing again an uber deck XD. If this is what you mean. Great idea. Got my plus vote :)

Yup, That's what I was going for :) Thanks again for any thoughts! This will certainly help me develop this format further making it more balanced and providing a fun alternative for the standard tier.

I think because of the amount of set-up that Blastoise decks might take (especially if you aren't running tropical beach), it would allow ample time for others to set-up as well. I think promoting the use of Megas would help, considering they are not really thought of for core use in a deck (them usually just being there as a possible supporting card). Not sure how I might do that, but I'll change a few things and see what everyone thinks.

Banning Tropical Beach might be a good option because not many players (especially newer ones) have them. This would make decks less reliant on EXs (like Blastoise and Emboar which only need with 4-5 EXs max), less overpowered, now that you're restricting EXs. This is probably the only way to slow down Blastoise decks given how strong they are currently (they won the highest number of state championships and still fall within your current restrictions). I would like to know what others think about this.

I think that's probably a good suggestion considering how strong that deck is currently. I think with the current restrictions, there is limited options to run Team Plasma EX Decks w/ Lugia and such. Also limiting yveltal and # of EX's should help slow down those decks as well. I think the Blastoise Diluge Trop. Beach decks would also need some restrictions, given the fact that they are so powerful and still fall within the given parameters like you said. I don't think that Diluge Blastoise is much of a threat without tropical beach (Considering how powerful beach is with it). I think banning Beach would be sufficient for limiting playability of that deck in this meta-game tier.

You know, for all the talk of banning there's really only one card that could legitimately be called ban-worthy in the current format and that's Lugia EX. I honestly think there should be restrictions placed on a card that can take 3 prizes on the very first turn and not look back, thats just no good imo. Other than that i see no reason to ban/restrict anything to be quite frank. Every other card in format is able to be dismantled with relatively no problems. its one thing to OHKO an EX, that can be called skillful. Its quite another to take advantage of the cards in the format and drop 4 Energies turn one and eliminate half the game because of it. That's where the imbalance lies, not in EX's in general.

Blastoise is still ridiculously good even without beach and theres other ways to get the draw power you need from that deck, like teching electrode 1-1, which can be done and still leave you with enough deck space to make your setup easier to attain to.

With Lysandre coming out and with sinister hand and sniping abilities, electrode is far less of a threat than beach can be. Beach nerfs the power behind the Blastoise deck substantially IMO.

yeah but Lysander is a supporter and people arent gonna run more than one or 2 simply because doing a major action like this erodes potential card drawing power and slows down your game plan despite making a KO very easy. and people arent gonna run it with catcher, theyre gonna run either one or the other, and i have a feeling Lysandre being an automatic is gonna be way more popular.

Beach is used largely in the opening turns (2 or 3 turns typically). This is necessary and can be used because you won't be attacking till turn 3 anyway (unless you get a turn 2 blastoise, which is what the aim is, in the first place). Electrode doesn't do much in the opening turns, and while it is good late game, that's also when beach is not very useful, especially when you want to be attacking every turn. Also, the opening turns are where Blastoise is the most vulnerable when Squirtles can get knocked out and you cannot do much unless you get a Blastoise in play. That's why beach is so powerful with Blastoise decks.

Also, I agree that Lugia is definitely Tier 1, and will be, for time to come. Banning it can be an option because it can be totally broken with Muscle Band + Deoxys. Or you could restrict its usage with Deoxys or Muscle Band, but it still has ways to deal with EXs and still be broken/OP.

since we are on the topic of blastoise XD, how about considering Delphox. Even if beach is "ban". delphox can compensate for draw power, and even better is that you can put in more lysandre because of it. Delphox can be your "supporter" each turn essentially so it wont slow thing down. I think alot of players i know are having positive result with delphox in toise so i thought i throw it out there :).

That's an interesting strategy. Delphox is harder to kill than electrode and also offers more drawing power. It still would be a target for Lysandre. Dowsing machine Lysandre would also be quite prominent I would imagine. Still, Delphox would promote the use of tech builds which is half the purpose of this format. I think there are plenty of counters and Delphox is much slower set-up than tropical beach. Plasma Lugia is a problem though so I'll probably ban the use of it with muscle band since Deoxys is already limited.

i dont know XD, if there was a delphox and a blastoise on the field... which one would you capture :D?

(PS, im just having fun :), sorry for the non-contribution)

There is actually quite a lot of draw power behind Delphox, but it's use is hardly worth being limited or bannable. not sure what other things we should add to this list (if anything) so please leave a comment if you have a suggestion.

you know, i built a deck that im playing right now that involves simply Lunatone and Solrock with a bunch of grunts and hammers, and i have to say, it does really well at keeping Lugia based Plasma decks in check. The thing that worries me about lugia is, what if you open with say, Shaymin EX or Mew EX. What if youre running Meloetta in your round deck? Better yet, what about Victini EX, who is so popular for its energy accel? Lugia still possesses the potential to be a 3 prize taking card turn 1, which is the kind of stuff that a ban list tries to prevent. Taking away half the game on the first turn is just too much. and if youre still allowing a plasma deck Colress machines, then that OHKO ability is still there. All you need is one DCE, one Colress Machine in hand and a Skyla to finish the job. Even if a Mew gets benched, if you bag a catcher its no big deal, you just bring it right out. and Lysandre is really gonna help that as well.

Archived