Coming back to the game...what viable decks are there?

the_big_40

Hello everyone,

I was a former player of the Pokemon TCG. Ever since 2006, I played the Yugioh TCG which I had a lot of fun with for a while until recent things that have been going on in the game that have just been aggravating me to no end (that is another topic for another day). With the developments that have been going on in that game recently, it has really made me look more again into the Pokemon TCG and reminisce about my early days of playing (I got a nationals top with a Rocket deck focused around Dark Charizard and Dark Jolteon back in the good ole days). It really made me want to come back into the Pokemon TCG after a really long break so I sold all of my Yugioh stuff and am working on returning to Pokemon TCG.

So with that long rant out the way, I am really rusty on the game and need some help. I do not know what the really good decks are right now (Tier 1 - 2) so I will ask everybody here the question; What are the top decks right now? What are the signature cards? Can you provide me with some decklists to start testing out online? What sets should I invest in for competitive Pokemon?

Help an old timer player get himself back into the Pokemon TCG and to come back with a bang!! Thank you SO MUCH for your help in advance!! Have a wonderful rest of your day and stay classy!! Cheers!

:cool:

Hey The_Big_40! welcome back! (I am also a yugioh player, Fire Kings ftw xD)

You should checkout [Content removed - posting links to or directing others to websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. -Prof. Poplar] As for flash fire, the card you should look at is pyroar, it has some potential. The deck that might not exist anymore would be tool drop, since it relies on tools and next set has megaphone (discards all tools on opp pokemon).

The Current Big decks

Blastoise(with keldeo ex and black kyurem ex w/200 atk)

Yveltal/Darkrai

Team plasma w/lugia

Yveltal/Darkrai/Garbodor

Team plasma w/kyurem

Aromatisse/Xerneas/Big basics

Aromatisse/Plasma

Emboar/Rayquaza

Virizion/Genesect/Drifblim

As for decks to invest in, I think Darkrai/Yveltal/Garbador has good potential next format, since a lot of decks are ability reliant, and garbador stops abilities. I have been playing Darkrai/Yveltal which has given me a lot of success, since I won 2 league challenges(local/monthly tourny) with it two times in a row in different places. But seeing the new cards, I might convert it to a garbador/yveltal/darkrai. Also, If you do attach a tool to Garbodor, make sure its 1 tool at a time (if you have 2 garbodors)

The Decklist for Garb/Yvetlal/Darkrai for the future format

Pokemon:12

2 Trubbish (legendary treasures)

2 Garbodor (legendary treasures)

3 Yveltal-EX (you can get the tin promo)

2 Darkrai-EX (you can get the tin promo)

2 Sabeleye (from dark explorers)

1 Yveltal (non ex) (XY, theme deck)

Trainers:

4 Professor Juniper/Sycamore

3 N

1 Shauna (xy)

3 Random Receiver

3 Bicycle

4 Dark Patch

3 Hypnotoxic Laser

3 Ultra Ball

2 Pokemon Catcher

1 Lysandre

1 Professors Letter

1 Dowsing Machine

1 Super Rod

3 Float stone

3 Muscle Band

2 Virbank

9 Darkness energy

2 Double colorless Energy

Guest ArtichokeCat

I don't TDK is that popular anymore with the catcher nerf...but it's still pretty good

Also, some others (probably tier 2) are Empoleon (with Attack Command) Flareon, Weavile, and Trevenant /Gothitelle Accelgor

TDK could be hurt with a pyroar tech in the next set, since tdk uses only basic pokemon and pyroar is immune to basics

yea but i think there are opportunities for plasma decks to include something like vaporeon (the plasma version) which can ohko this pyroar in one hit with some deoxys in play/ +muscle band/ virbank laser and so on. there will be also a supporter card that has the same function as the old catcher card or even red signal genesect to target pyroar directly.

yea but i think there are opportunities for plasma decks to include something like vaporeon (the plasma version) which can ohko this pyroar in one hit with some deoxys in play/ +muscle band/ virbank laser and so on. there will be also a supporter card that has the same function as the old catcher card or even red signal genesect to target pyroar directly.

plasma glaceon might serve a dual purpose, free retreat and OHKO for pyroar

I agree on that Plasma Glaceon, just make sure to include some tool scrappers in case Pyroar players start inputting Silver Mirror

by the time pyroar comes I think it'd be time to use megaphone but yea definitely the tool removing card is quite a staple in plasma decks, and in this day and age in many other decks too

Also, the promotional Garchomp EX is out, so Id consider making a deck with that and Altaria from DRX. It was already a tier 2, but Garchomp EX gives it a bit more smacking power I think.

Archived