An ethical question

Walrus58

The bug that allows you to play Evosoda on the same turn you lay down a basic has gone without a fix for about a month and a half now, and I can't begin to count how many times I've seen it played that way.

As a non-Evosoda player, I naturally think it's wrong to play the card that way, even though the program allows it. After all, if there were a judge in the room with you, she wouldn't allow it. The text on the card is unambiguous and definitive.

So what do you say, PTCGO players? Is it cheating to take advantage of a bug to play a card in a way that wouldn't be allowed if a judge were in the room?

Hey Walrus58,

I'm sorry to hear your frustration! :( The Dev team does work to fix all bugs in a timely manner, but I totally understand that it can be a little upsetting in the meantime. I'll forward your input regarding this bug to the Dev team and leave this up for discussion.

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for your reply, Prof. Poplar! The PTCGO developers are great, and I really appreciate their work. And we all understand that bugs will happen.

But the question is a serious one, and because bugs are inevitable, it comes up with some regularity. When a bug allows a player to play a card in a way that wouldn't be allowed at, say, a Battle Roads, or, for that matter, at your local Pokemon league, is it or is it not all right for the player to play it?

Personally, I do find it a little amusing that thanks to a bug, people bother running a usually-mediocre item in their decks. :P I have some Stage 1 decks, but I still prefer Level Ball since even it has more versatility than Evosoda.

That being said, no, I definitely wouldn't feel right taking advantage of the bug; but since I am also not tempted to mess up my decklists adding a card that is IMO useless in legal play, maybe I don't really count. :P

I share a similar opinion of the Mega Ex versus Safeguard ability bug; if people want to run mediocre Megas just because they hit Sigilyph, they can be my guest. :P IMO Evosoda's speed can't usually compensate for evolutions' slowness vs. Exes in this format, anyway; only outstanding evos like Garchomp could really make use of the bug, and even then, you usually want to wait a turn and use Gabite's search ability a few times anyway.

You're right to bring it up, though!

Archived