Why Trevenant XY fails in the new format.....and more things goth

NeilK

and not only that, but Virizion, as has been mentioned, is a real killer, so unless you want to run Garbodor yourself to kill off Virizion's ability and just play simple deck and cover, you are pretty much doomed. And ive tried the simple deck and cover style of play, never gets you more than 2-3 prizes in about 7/10 matches without the item lock to make it more effective.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Trevenant made top 8 in the (I think) Seattle Regionals tournament relatively recently. It was a pretty standard deck following Gothitelle's structure, just minus rare candies and using the full evolution line for Dusknoir. Overall it seemed to work but I believe the deck leaves much to be desired in the current format. It pretty equally demolishes and crumbles to each deck in the format and I don't think it has a place quite as it is.

However, I believe that Trevenant has a home elsewhere. It may seem farfetch'd but I think teching a 2-2 line of Trevenant into a Big Basic/Fairies deck would do remarkable things for the deck against decks to which it normally has issues like Blastoise, Emboar and VirGen. Trevenant would be desirable around T2 in those match ups while it would become more of a luxury stall tactic against other match ups (or discard fodder for Ultra Ball). I'm not an expert on the nuances of item lock but I have a feeling that this is a pretty good way to utilize the ability while also staying with a main archetype in the format. Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

i prefer the goth... mainly because of the weakness. dark cards just see more play these days than psy cards.

(yveltal ex can OHKO trevenant with just 2 energies on it)

Archived