Royal Heal and Poison... Yes, this is a bug. Mods, please read

Shoopuf

My other report was closed as "not a bug", but this IS a bug. I had stated:

It is supposed to be the player's choice in which order to apply in-between turn effects like Royal Heal from Serperior and Poison. Currently, Poison is being applied first always, leading some Pokemon to be KO'd even though they would've survived had the Royal Heal been applied first. I imagine this is also probably affecting Cresselia EX's Sparkling Particles ability as well, or any other in-between turns abilities.

My memory was slightly off. While it is true that status conditions are applied BEFORE abilities and other effects, this is still a bug as the pokemon should NOT be KO'd until after "between turns" is done. You first apply status conditions, then abilities and effects and then you check for KO status.

See assets23.pokemon/assets/cms/pdf/tcg/rulebooks/bw_next_destinies_rulebook.pdf, p15, section 4 of Turn Actions:

In-Between Turns Step

Before the game continues to the next player, take care of Special Conditions in this order:

1) Poisoned 2) Burned 3) Asleep 4) Paralyzed

Then, apply the effects of any Abilities (or anything else that a card states must happen between turns). After both players have done these things, check to see if affected Pokémon were Knocked Out. Then, start the next player’s turn!

So a poisoned pokemon with 10HP left and a single instance of Royal Heal in play would enter the In-Between Turns Step, then apply 10 damage from poison then heal 10 damage from Royal Heal, then check for KO status and would NOT be knocked out because it would have 10 health left.

This is how Royal Heal is ruled in real life, this is how Maternal Comfort ability on Nidoqueen from RR was ruled and it's clearly stated in the official rules that this is how it is ruled.

I hope a moderator will read this, because it's a serious bug for decks with "In-Between Turns" abilities/effects.

You've definitely got the correct ruling. All between turns effects should be resolved before checking to see if a Pokemon is Knocked Out. I'll send this over to the QA team for further investigation.

Okay... I'm not trying to be obtuse, but let's discuss this a little bit more... Since I am a judge I want to make sure I understand this correctly if I have to rule on this situation in a tournament...

If that Pokemon that is Poisoned has 10 hp left and the poison damage kicks in which then causes it to have 0 hp left, isn't it theoretically "knocked out" and thus you can't then try to heal it using Serperior's ability? Has anyone followed up with someone that does the official rules interpretations to make sure?

If I am wrong, that's okay. I just want to be certain that I understand the mechanics correctly as well.

Thanks.

If that Pokemon that is Poisoned has 10 hp left and the poison damage kicks in which then causes it to have 0 hp left, isn't it theoretically "knocked out" and thus you can't then try to heal it using Serperior's ability? Has anyone followed up with someone that does the official rules interpretations to make sure?

Shoopuf's second quote comes directly from the TCG rulebook. Per the game rules, all between turns effects are processed before the KO check occurs. While the Special Conditions are applied first, the KO check does not occur until after Royal Heal is applied.

Archived