Official feedback thread for game version 2.17

TPCi_Mathis

There were some significant changes made to the UI and game infrastructure with release 2.17. I've created this thread in the interest of consolidating feedback on these changes. Please use the guidelines below when posting feedback to ensure that this thread is as effective as possible, and that the Mods can easily compile this information.

Provide feedback that is specific and constructive
– “The new playmat is terrible!” provides no actionable information. “The new angle of the playmat makes it is too hard to see the cards that are in my hand.” tells us what your specific issue is with the playmat so that we can look at addressing it in the future.

Don’t “disguise” a bug report as feedback
– The Dev team logs bug reports separately from feedback, and mixing the two can cause a delay in the resolution of a bug. If you believe that something is a bug, please add
BUG
to the beginning of the comment. If you are providing feedback, no tag is necessary.

Keep your feedback organized
– Categorize your feedback by game area, keeping all of your Collection feedback together in one area, all of your Gameplay feedback in another, etc.

Provide bite-sized feedback
– Please do not make the Mods read through a novel to find the “crunchy” bits of information. Use the Bulleted List feature to separate each piece of feedback into an easily digestible format, and stick to the relevant details.

The Mods will be monitoring this thread and refer you to the guidelines above if they feel that your post does not meet the requested formatting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trading System does not seem to be done.

BUG - Removing trades that are no longer available from public.

BUG - Sometimes the unselecting cards in the create trade does not seem to work. Dragging the cards from the top to the collection does not work to reduce the count of things from 6 -> 5

FEEDBACK - need some ability to sort the public trade.

FEEDBACK - need to add the FA identifier back to the list of the card names when displaying the cards for trade.

Positives

The new "Create Trade" system is SO much better in design implementation and performance.

Then new chat interface look nicer and performs better.

My only huge issue is with trading. Public trades are rife with both expired and accepted posts (BUG), and for some reason, the ability to filter out trades that you can't even accept has been removed, which makes no sense and is just a giant step backwards in terms of convenience.

Card zoom-in in the new trade interface is also wayyy too small and text is barely readable. I don't mind the cartoony graphics like many others do, but what should have been focused on is the clarity of card-viewing itself, since the cards are the most important part of the game, not UI aesthetics.

Inability to use card zoom-in feature after opening new packs is quite annoying and adds an extra step to viewing/tagging new cards.

As for the playmat, I'm not sure why the hand is partially cut off, but it's slightly annoying...and the pacing does seem a bit off in terms of drawing/dealing, but I kind of enjoy the quickness, especially when the prizes are dealt out, which used to take a little too long in the old interface IMO. Maybe slowing it down by a few milliseconds would suffice, just to make people who don't like the speed more happy.

The old thread had plenty of other valid issues as well, so I don't think the devs should limit themselves to this one unless people start mentioning those previously posted, too.

EDIT: BUG - I forgot to mention the bug with match-making, which is causing players to go into a game and then part of the way through, they get sucked into another game...really strange stuff.

POSITIVE - I would have to agree with the above poster that selecting items in the new Trade Creation screen is much easier! Big improvement there with tabs as filters! Congrats on that devs!

- Also, the game seems to run faster. I did have issues with card images not loading upon the initial release of the update, but I haven't had any problems since...seems to load quickly for me. Maybe my comps are better than other people's out there, since this seems to still be an issue for many.

• Bug 1: The VS Mode isnt working at all, sometimes you get kicked out of a running match and you start another one, after the first attack the game freezes, you cant use hypnolaser or the game freezes.
  • Bug 2: The playmat isnt working right, it shows not the complete cards in my hand.
  • Suggestion: The hole trade system needs an improvment, bring the "show only offers i can accept" button back and the search bar isnt working either. if i type in genesect it shows only the trades which are in the last 20 minutes. it should be possible to search for all offers you can accept. another problem with trades is that non tradable cards are shown as offers i can accept.

Since the update the top and bottom of the screen cut off slightly so I cant see the whole cards on the benches. Is this supposed to happen?

BUG - The matchmaking system is extremely messed up. When you click "Play Now," it doesn't always search for a game. Then you have to click it repeatedly until it finally works. But if you clicked more than once, it will move you out of the current game and place you in a game with someone else! The requests finally get acknowledged, and you get placed into as many games as you clicked. Very frustrating.

BUG - During one of my games, all of the images stopped working. I was unable to see any new cards that entered the field, and zooming in came up with blank images. I had to quit because I was unable to do anything except pass my turn. This happened only once, and it happened after I was forced into a new game while I was playing another one already.

BUG - Searching for cards in public trades is essentially broken. The search shows trade offers that have expired, and I haven't been able to search for any of the new XY cards.

BUG - Evosoda (XY) can be played on the first turn of the game, breaking the rules of the card. It explicitly states that it cannot be used on a Pokémon that was just put into play.

BUG - Ghetsis (Plasma Freeze) doesn't always reveal the opponent's hand. Also, Random Receiver doesn't always reveal the top cards of the deck. Jirachi EX's (Plasma Blast) Stellar Guidance doesn't reveal what Supporter card was taken. Venusaur's (Dark Explorers) Floral Scent also doesn't reveal what Pokémon was taken. I've heard this may have something to do with card animations being turned off, but these are basic functions of the cards that should display regardless of settings.

BUG - When my opponent mulliganed multiple times, I lost my first turn. This happened only once, and it happened after I was forced into a new game while I was playing another one already. I know I missed my turn because I was able to evolve my Pokémon immediately when I got a chance to play cards.

BUG - When Malamar (XY) uses Mental Trash and flips a second time with Victini's (Noble Victories, Legendary Treasures) Victory Star, it tells the opponent to select cards equal to the combined total of Tails flipped. For example, if there is one Tails flipped the first time and three Tails flipped for the retry, the prompt tells the user to select four cards to discard. It's confusing.

As for the new interface...

Pros:

+ Creating a trade is easier.

+ The in-game view is nice. Being able to see the entire field is a plus.

+ The game appears to move faster than it did before.

Cons:

- Images take forever to load. Even ones that have already loaded previously have to load again sometimes.

- Public trading is a mess. There's no way to filter out trades you can't accept, and you can't organize them in any fashion. Also, the image previews were a nice feature that the previous version had. Now I can't differentiate between a regular/full art/reverse holo card without clicking on the trade.

- The sidebar chat is very inconvenient. During a game, I don't want to have to expand a menu that takes up a huge chunk of my screen just to chat with my opponent. Also, the game log is in this sidebar. The old way of displaying the chat and game log were much better.

- The game moves too quickly sometimes. I lose track of what's happening when so many effects happen in a short amount of time.

- When adding cards to a deck in the deck editor with the tile view, the menu moves back to the top of the list each time you add a card to a deck. For example, if I scroll down to an Ultra Ball and add it to my deck, the view will go back up to the top of the menu. This is very inconvenient when trying to build a deck.

- Why are parts of the cards cut off in the in-game view? I'd like to be able to see the entire card.

- I was unable to create private trades with some people on my friends list. This happened with people who had large collections.

- You can't zoom in on cards when you open them in packs anymore. I'd like to be able to do that. Also, zooming in on cards in-game doesn't magnify them as much as it used to.

- I wish the game would remember your settings for matchmaking. It's annoying to have to select random battle, ranked, and standard every time I log in. Also, I wish theme deck wasn't the default option. Standard would be much nicer.

- The scrolling mechanism for selecting a deck could be better. I wish it had the bar you could drag like the old one did.

Here is some of my feedback so far, with "BUG" written as per Mathis' request, where applicable:

Feedback regarding Gameplay:

BUG - Halfway through a battle I'll get randomly moved/thrown to another battle

BUG - You can be on the software and thrown randomly into a battle (without clicking Play Now)

Those are critical issues which need to be addressed ASAP, not wait for next update.

- Tool cards are harder to see on opponent's bench cards, before you could put your mouse over the card and it would pop up a black box with the card information, and say what tool(s) were on the card, now it doesn't do that (the black box still pops up, but the tool is not listed, you have to look under the card to see the Tool card, and under the card there's even less room to see that tool card now.

- The Player chat in battles overlaps your prizes and part of the play area

- The top 2 prizes are fuzzy (harder to read/see) compared to the other 4 prizes

- Please make the deck choice (before you go into battle, when you pick what deck you will use) alphabetical again, or something besides it being totally random, and bring back that scroll bar, thanks.

- Did I miss something, or has Modified been changed to "Standard" now? Instead of Expert Modified games, it now says Ranked Standard, but maybe I missed something, if so, I apologize. Anyways, please move on.

Feedback regarding Trading:

BUG? - In Public Offers when I search for a card, it shows all the history of trades for that card, and makes it really hard (scroll through 200 pages) to find current offers for that card, and all the listings are not sorted by time left or anything, they're just random.

- There is no button in public trading to show only trades you can accept

Those are major issues as well which should be fixed ASAP.

- Public offers that I've set up will randomly be removed (they are legit trades too, not scams)

- It's harder to see/find someone's binder (more navigation, can't search in public for the person because it's way too difficult, there is no place to type in their name and then double click on them like before)

BUG - Private Trade to friends, there keeps popping up names of people who are not on my friend list

BUG - When my some of my friends are online and I go to offer him a private trade, his name isn't in the private list, I have to search on the public list for him (which is a nightmare at best, and very frustrating, as I've mentioned above), whereas other friends who are online are still in the friend list.

- Trade History shows a green checkmark for trades that I've cancelled. That shouldn't be, it's confusing and makes you think that was a successful trade when really it didn't happen

- Can't sort Trade History by name of person anymore (alphabetically)

- Can't sort Public Offers by time remaining anymore

Feedback regarding Collection:

- Most of my collection, when I click on a specific card, it's not highlighted/tagged for trade anymore, so I have no idea if my binder is tagged for trade or not, or which cards are viewable to others

- Before there was an orange button that showed if a card in your collection was tagged for trade, now you have to click on each card just to see if it's tagged for trade or not. For those of us with thousands of cards, this is a nightmare to find out. Bring back something like the orange button please. Also, when I keep logging in I notice certain cards are not tagged for trade anymore but they haven't been traded or gotten or anything, the tags just goes away.

- The packs in My Collection are no longer organized chronologically, but now just random mess (it starts out alphabetically, but then gets all kifed up halfway through, HGSS then XY theme deck, then Dragon Vault, etc., just a random order, at least before it was ordered chronologically HGSS - LT)

- When you open up packs there is no way to enlarge each card like before, and no way to click "tag for trade" or anything like that as before. You have to go to your collection and do it all there, it's a 2 step process instead of a 1 step process. Plus, when you open packs, you cannot really read what cards they are because it's smaller and fuzzy, and also because the "New" button covers a lot of the card. If you can expand those cards again, you can then see what cards you got, and hopefully you can fix it so we can tag them for trade again when opening packs.

Feedback regarding general dynamic:

- Regular and holo cards look more similar, whereas before you knew when it was a holo/special card, this is only in some cases, but it takes away the appeal of having holo cards if they look just like the regular ones, at least before you could tell when they were different, now it will be easier for people to scam others of rarer cards.

- The non-stop background music has to stop, at least before it only came up when you did Trainer Challenge. I know you can change the Music options in Settings, but are there not parts of the game where you want music? Or is Music volume JUST meaning that background stuff? Maybe this feedback is undeserved, but that music makes me want to take an ice pick and jam it into my retina. At least have several options of types of background music you can pick from, not stuck with the same one. Heck, even be able to pick music from your favorite Pokemon video game as the background music would be much nicer than the current music.

BUG? - People keep showing up on my friend list without me clicking any "approve" button. Before I was sent a request and I could decide if that person was my friend or not, now I can be spammed or solicited by anyone, there is no filter/barrier anymore

- When the chat window is closed to the left, and a friend PM's you, maybe there can be a sound notification to let you know you have a PM? You could be busy doing something else and miss out on community (because of the way the new chat is)

So, there is some of my feedback, there are other issues/errors, some have mentioned some of them already, thanks, and hopefully I get time again to write about the other errors/issues with PTCGO. Hopefully it makes sense on what to change/fix. Thank you very much. I will go rant now.

Provide feedback that is specific and constructive – “The new playmat is terrible!” provides no actionable information. “The new angle of the playmat makes it is too hard to see the cards that are in my hand.” tells us what your specific issue is with the playmat so that we can look at addressing it in the future.

DesDaddy, per the guidelines in the original post, your rant does not provide specific, constructive feedback on the latest build so it has been removed to keep the discussion focused. -- Prof_Mathis

Apologies Mike, I'll give an explanation because now I feel bad,

I thought since this was a feedback thread, that I could leave feedback that was specific on how I felt things were going, specific about what my (a user's) experience has been like, and specific on how I felt things should be going forward. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the powers that be would be interested in my (a client's) specific feedback of frustrations, which included my feelings and experience (which I thought was valid). I constructed my feedback to honestly share with the powers that be some concerns, and I did it in a passionate way, which does show how much I care about this all. Perhaps I could have done it better than in a mini-manifesto, but I thought it's better be open, honest and real with you than keep things in, or tell you what you want to hear, tell you lies, etc., and not be part of the solution, if that makes sense.

I thought, (again, maybe wrongly), that a progressive entity such as Pokemon/Nintendo would welcome a valued user's experience/feedback, and perhaps I did it in the wrong place (perhaps another feedback channel, support ticket?), but it does seem I broke a rule of yours, and for that I'm truly sorry. I honestly was trying to do what you asked (which you would notice I tried to do in my first post, categorizing my feedback and writing "BUG", etc.,), so I'm sorry I didn't pass the test in my 2nd post.

I tried to explain what my specific issues were in the post you removed, and I thought I had done that, and did it for the purpose of you addressing these things moving forward (in the future, as you wrote), but I guess my try wasn't successful, again, I apologize. I also thought it was constructive feedback (constructive feedback usually isn't totally positive), so I think we may have a different understanding of that terminology, so I am sorry mine isn't the same as yours.

I am happy this discussion is focused, we all share the same purpose. I'm sorry to detract from it's purpose, my intention was to give feedback about my experience. I will do better moving forward, and I'm sure Pokemon/Nintendo will echo that sentiment and do their part in their capacity to make great strides in excellence and quality as well. I'm glad this is a learning opportunity. :) Thanks again and kind regards,

BUG - The matchmaking system is extremely messed up. When you click "Play Now," it doesn't always search for a game. Then you have to click it repeatedly until it finally works. But if you clicked more than once, it will move you out of the current game and place you in a game with someone else! The requests finally get acknowledged, and you get placed into as many games as you clicked. Very frustrating.

Pooka, I noticed that instead of clicking "Play Now" again, if you just click another deck of yours and then click back on the deck you were going to use, and then click Play Now, it usually works (may have to repeat a couple times). Although, I still get randomly thrown around game to game sometimes, but it doesn't happen every time when I do the above method, just trying to help.

Where do you open the packs at? I got one from the daily login bonus, but it's not in my collection under packs.

Also, the achievements are messed up. Some that I had already gotten before the update now say incomplete, and some decks that I had beaten all of the Trainer challenge matches with now say I have 0 victories with.

BUG: Names of cards in trading do not include the "EX" when applicable. So from the list, you can't tell the difference between Genesect and Genesect EX.

Also, I would suggest adding a "clear all notifcations" button in the sidebar menu where you see new friend requests, packs you opened, etc. I'm never going to click through 100 packs I opened, and the notifications are piling up for no reason.

Authenticating (when logging in) takes far too long. And apparantly it sometimes doesn't even work, as it's now completely stuck on that phase (while it did work properly before, besides te amount of time it takes of course).

And VERY disappointed at there still being no 16:10 resolutions. I still wonder to this day: why did you ever delete them from the game??? Speaking from personal experience: they worked fine! And if there was a problem, it certainly shouldn't take years to fix. Especially in this client that cuts everything off, having the proper aspect ratio is vital.

Feedback-I just have a couple issues so far. Trading is basically impossible, being the big one. Nobody can see my binder and my tags are still dissapearing a lot of the time. I can't see any friends online or people online in chats to make offers.

Feedback-I think the "your offer has been accepted" "your offer has been removed" "your trade has expired" screens are highly uneccessary, just add extra clicks & are just annoying in general. If a message pops up in the message center it's just as easy to click it and read it then. A lot of us don't need to know every time somthing is done and when making 200+ trades a day is just causing more lag if anything.

Feedback-Also when adding cards/packs to offers I think having a +/- symbol on the cards in both areas would help. As of right now it's pretty easy to accidentally add multiple cards when you double click etc.

Feedback-It's headed in a good direction but I feel this new interface should be removed until the issues are fixed. I personally will not be playing this game as of right now until somthing is done.

I'm sorry to say this because this game has always had my full support but this update has been a very large dissapointment...

Cheers

I love this game, but this update is just so bad. I'd be embarrassed if I was in charge of it.

The only significant bug to report is the difficulty in finding a PvP match, and then how it randomly switches you from one game to another. I was trying to finish just one match for my daily bonus, but I give in!

But what is most disappointing are the changes to the user interface.

1. Showing all public trades, not just the ones you can do

2. Only the name of the pokemon and pack. There are multiple versions of pokemon - I can recognise by sight, but I have no idea by just name alone!

3. You can't tell if it is FA, foil etc in the public trade

4. The bottom / top of cards are cut off from your hand on the game screen

5. The cards on the game screen are really blurry. What was the point in making the active pokemon card larger, when its too blurred to read it!

6. When selecting a deck for pvp, they are not in any order (previously alphabetical was fine). Hard to look through >60 decks in a random order

7. When selecting a deck for pvp, it says what the overall wins is for that deck - but not how many games played, so pointless. Also, what is an 'overall win' compared to a 'win'?

8. This is probably the killer for me - why is the chat window so large. You can't play with it open, thus ruining any interaction with your opponent. You can't build decks with it open!

9. You can't easily see what cards are marked for trade without clicking on them

10. The chat window is much bigger, but manages to be harder to follow than before!

11. Most comments in chat are shown twice

12. There is no search option on public trade

13. I have gained friends I never accepted

I could go on, but others have said similar things already.

I was going to buy some pokemon cards this weekend for some X&Y fun, but I won't bother now, particularly having read people's complaints about opening boosters.

I have been going on about this game to a friend and trying to get him to sign up, now I'm embarrassed to show him how rubbish this game is that I have spent so long playing!

Might not have been mentioned yet but is obviously very important:

BUG: Cannot search for any of the Gen 6 Pokemon cards (XY) on public trade -at all-. Please sort this out in the patch that is about to hit in a few minutes from now.

Also i just wanted to add

Feedback-Wouldn't it be a lot easier to see how many people support these ideas if they were able to thumbs up or show support somehow for a comment.

All in all I think I like the new game interface. The chat is a problem. It was nice to have a little window open all the time, and now that's impossible. The result is that people don't chat much. A possible fix would be to provide some kind of visible feedback on the button that opens the chat window when there's a message waiting (but NOT when there's a log entry). Make it flash, or raise a little flag, something like that.

Good work as usual, Professors!

Completely forgot to mention something in my last post, that hasn't been mentioned yet (AFAIK): it would be nice to have an option to return the updates HP values to the card, rather than it just appearing in a tooltip. I understand there were plenty of people who didn't like it (hence an option to return it), bu there were also lots of people (including me) who liked that you could see instantly how much HP the opponent has, rather than having to spend time calculating this (especially in cases like Conkeldurr) or having to check the tooltip.

The new angle/view of the in-game battle playmat and view is EXTREMELY inferior to what you had. The previous look was perfect and was a great platform to build off of in the future with tournaments, increased player customization and other needed features such as in-game vision from players outside of those playing in the match. The previous game look was refined, crisp, and provided a perfect pace to gameplay. It was easy on the eyes to play with and it felt like there was a lot going on that you could easily keep up with at one time. It also provided a spacious look at the right viewing angle from my playing perspective, was realistic, and the screen seemed to have the perfect height and width dimensions to see everything going on in the battle. Everything that I needed to see was in perfect proportion (such as my entire hand).

What you have now is exactly the opposite of what I just listed. I don't know how else to explain it. Its just inferior in every way. My suggestion is to go back to that and continue to build upon the game with added features.

Today's hotfix addressed the issue of players getting pulled out of in-progress PvP matches and into new matches. The Dev team has also fixed the bug that allowed expired trades to appear in search results. No newly expired trades should get stuck in that expired state. The Dev team is in the process of clearing the remaining expired trades more slowly to make sure they don't sweep up any they shouldn't. Their should be only a few left after today and none after tomorrow.

Additionally, please make sure that your feedback follows the guidelines below. The harder it is for the Mods to gather your feedback, the longer it will take to get to the Devs.

Provide feedback that is specific and constructive – “The new playmat is terrible!” provides no actionable information. “The new angle of the playmat makes it is too hard to see the cards that are in my hand.” tells us what your specific issue is with the playmat so that we can look at addressing it in the future.

Don’t “disguise” a bug report as feedback – The Dev team logs bug reports separately from feedback, and mixing the two can cause a delay in the resolution of a bug. If you believe that something is a bug, please add BUG to the beginning of the comment. If you are providing feedback, no tag is necessary.

Keep your feedback organized – Categorize your feedback by game area, keeping all of your Collection feedback together in one area, all of your Gameplay feedback in another, etc.

Provide bite-sized feedback – Please do not make the Mods read through a novel to find the “crunchy” bits of information. Use the Bulleted List feature to separate each piece of feedback into an easily digestible format, and stick to the relevant details.

BUG

The Dev team has also fixed the bug that allowed expired trades to appear in search results. No newly expired trades should get stuck in that expired state. The Dev team is in the process of clearing the remaining expired trades more slowly to make sure they don't sweep up any they shouldn't. Their should be only a few left after today and none after tomorrow

That's progress, I guess, but it won't be that helpful if you still can't search for any of the new cards in XY. They are aware that only searches for cards from sets previous to XY actually bring up search results, right? Seems like that should have been addressed at the same time.

Archived