The Unofficial Thread about the errors in the Feb 5, 2014 update

StellarManiac

I like the concept, and it seems like what you were trying to do was make it more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing, but somehow, this utterly failed. hobbes8548 noted the following on PTCGO's reddit page, and I tend to agree with him:- The design looks pretty good I think. However here are some issues I have so far:- Card zoom-in is really small, barely readable text.- Takes time to load card design (though it seems only the first time).- Public Trade is practically useless!- You cannot sort trades. (cannot view ONLY trades which player is capable of making)- Trade view is filled with expired trades.- Trades you can't make show up in view (although with an red X); clutters the view unnecessarily.- No card thumbnail preview next to trade listing (e.g. you cannot tell the difference between Darkrai DEX Non-FA and Darkrai DEX FA without opening the trade listing).Some like the new playmat; however, many have been complaining about its lagginess and card zoom/readability issues, which are more than apparent. In fact, this update is so frustrating that the chat lobbies are filled with complaints. I can understand how this was meant to be an improvement, but I'm afraid of what me and other players might do if many of these changes aren't reverted back to their original state, which IMO, was quite a clean interface with only minor issues. Those issues have now been magnified, and it's a hard pill to swallow. The most frustrating of all has got to be the changes to trading, which make it more difficult than ever to even find trades you can actually accept. Please HALP!

yeah i hope they fix those problems quick because right now the game is completely useless. i cant trade and i cant play so there is no reason why i should log in. every time i use a hypnolaser the game crashes....

i totaly agree with you guys, mod need to hear us and tell the dev team. if other players thinks the same way, they should tell their opinons here.

On top of all the complaints, I'd like to add: it's now too picture-based. For instance, before, you opened a pack/deck with the "Open" button (or whatever it used to say). Simple! Now, I had to carefully look at all buttons to see which was the "Open"-button. Of course, I now remember where it is, but this is just 1 example out of many more.

Hi, I must say I somewhat dislike the last update. It seems really user unfriendly, the new fronts are buisy and distracting and if i were a new player i probably wouldnt be able to find half of the content and buttons... I was going to rant about all the things i dont like but then i realized it would be WAY faster to just say the stuff i do like and ask for all the other things to be changed back. Still that would be a lot unclearer.. .so ill do abit of both.. Things i like: The new battle view(angle) is somewhat better than the last one ;) BUT, its really annoying the thing only shows half of the cards you have in your hand... there is plenty of room on the screen please either upt the hand a little higher or whatever... even downsizing the cards in your hand wouldn't matter to much since you can enlarge them by right clicking... its also easier to see energies and tools and such on pokemon.. (good job on that) but when you play a two part legend they disappear behind the cards... the display of legends before was way better.. just downsize the cards to one normal card again... Things i dont like: the new trade system.. its just awefull... i like how you can see way more of them but thats about it... what happend to the show only trades i can accept option? I appreciate being able to see all the trade offers but I am not to keen on scrolling through 150+ pages to see if there is anything interesting for me... The search button in private trade is gone... whY? i am not going to scroll through all my friends to find someone... it takes way to long... the chat window has been moved to the side bar... im all for changing that a bit the old thing wasnt ideal... but this is even worse... at first i didnt even know where it was, but besides that it is just way to big... it covers a large part of the playmat so its annoying to have open and the new "***" like speech bubbles may look fancy but are majorly inpractical... please return it to its former glory... Also Also, the new icons for everything are way hard to make out and placed in weird places... just having them all in one bar in the top of the screen was way better. every thing was in one place and it was easier to explain to others what they had to do if they wanted to find somthing another thing, why have the names of battlestypes been changed? again, naming it PVP was clearer and novice and expert were also better than ranked and practice.... why was modified even changed into standard? it seems rather unnecessary.. then in collection. there now is a devision between pokemon, trainer energy etc... also unnecessary i would much rather have seen an it to be an option that way it could have been handy but now its just annoying... same with trading... but also having the "only show wanted" option as a default is annoying... another thing, the edit you deck directly after a match option has been deleted... i really liked that function... please bring it back.. btw there is a bug in the PVP... somehow, if you click the button more than once (I think) you enter a match and then after a certain ammount of time you get another one out of nowhere... breaking off the game you were in... There are a lot more issues but i think my post is quite the incomprehensible mess already so ill reserve them for later.... (ps im not trying to talk anyone into the ground... i see genuine effort is being put into the game but some things just dont work...)

I do feel bad putting this new interface to shame. I work as a copy writer for a website, and I know how hard it is for our tech team to come up with, create and implement new interfaces for us to utilize, but I truly think the old one was working wayyy better and could have simply just used a few minor improvements. But creating this whole new interface rife with issues makes very little sense to me.

Hi, not sure what to call this, or if it's in the right section, but after trying things out on the new update, I already have a quick list of frustrations/negative experiences, I'll list them below. If everyone could keep adding to this list, we can have ONE COLLECTIVE, just to stay organized, and save 1000 people making posts saying the same thing, the mods can come here and read it all at once and get it fixed faster. :) Don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful positives of the new update (speed, add packs to trades quicker, etc.), but this thread is for the negative issues that can really turn the majority of users off, and we don't want that! Thanks! Here goes: - Battles are fuzzy and cards are hard to read, or impossible to read - Halfway through a battle I'll get randomly moved to another battle - You can be on the software and thrown randomly into a battle (without clicking Play Now) - Tool cards are harder to see on opponent's cards, before you could put your mouse over the card and it would say what tool(s) are on the card, now it doesn't do that. Under the card there's even less room to see that tool card now - The Player chat in battles overlaps your prizes and part of the play area - In Public Offers when I search for a card, it shows all the history of trades for that card, and makes it really hard (scroll through 100 pages) to find current offers for that card, and it's not sorted by time left or anything, it's just random - There is no button in public trading to show only trades you can accept - Public offers that I've set up will randomly be removed (they are legit trades too, not scams) - It's harder to see someone's binder - Most of my collection, when I click on a specific card, it's not highlighted/tagged for trade anymore, so I have no idea if my binder is tagged for trade or not, or which cards are viewable to others - Private Trade to friends, there keeps popping up names of people who are not on my friend list - When my some of my friends are online and I go to offer him a private trade, his name isn't in the private list, I have to search on the public list for him (which is a nightmare at best, and very frustrating), whereas other friends who are online are still in the friend list. Very strange. - Trade History shows a green checkmark for trades that I've cancelled. That shouldn't be, it's confusing and makes you think that was a successful trade when really it didn't happen - Can't sort Trade History by name of person anymore - Can't sort Public Offers by time remaining anymore - Regular and holo cards look more similar, whereas before you knew when it was a holo/special card, this is only in some cases - The packs in My Collection are no longer organized chronologically, but now just random mess (it starts out alphabetically, but then gets all kifed up halfway through, HGSS then XY theme deck, then Dragon Vault, etc.) - The non-stop background music has to stop, at least before it only came up when you did Trainer Challenge Ok, that was a quick list, and I'll try to add to it as time goes by. If you all could keep posting new errors/glitches/frustrations, etc. here on this thread that I haven't mentioned yet (or even echo certain major glitches I've already brought up), I believe we can make a difference! We want PTCGO to be a success, and to not turn people off/away, so thanks for your help!!

Ugh, the spacing issues really make the forums a turn-off, I had written a very pretty post above and all spaced out properly, please fix!! Thanks! :)

Hi all, Thanks much for your feedback and effort! I'll send this up for review and keep the thread open for discussion. I have also merged the threads referring to this topic to make it easier to read and organize. Thanks again!

Dat wall of text lol, yep this is why the new interface should've been delayed until after the XY set is released. Things that are bugged or are completely lacking at the moment: cannot search for packs even when entering their name in search bar, search bar completely lacking to find people in your friends or public list, public trade showing trades that are expired already, cannot search for any card because it shows 150 pages of trades that include the name you searched for, including the expired listings and in no specific order because you cannot sort the line up of listings in any way whatsoever.

Some people are added to my friends list even though I've never added them - it is impossible to remove them from my friends list or close a conversation that you have with them, and they cannot be found in your friends or public list. Some people that I've actually added before this update can no longer be found on my friends list - it seems that they have been replaced by random people. Just about every match freezes half way through or puts people in a completely different match. I think that covers most of the must-fix issues right now.

thanks Prof for merging all our posts in 1 thread. if only the spacing was fixed so people would read the big paragraphs and not repeat stuff, lol. but thank you :). also, another issue is my avatar is bald when he goes into battle!! not cool!! (no offense to bald people, lol)

I can see what they were trying to accomplish here but it feels like a huge step backwards. Features such as filtering public trades (to see which one i can actually accept) are completely gone, after opening packs you can not zoom in on cards so to see your new cards you have to find them by scrolling through your entire collection to find the ones tagged "new". Also it just seems more clunky to have to navigate more menus to do the basic things like edit decks/make trades. I tend play with most animations disable and basic and card animations enabled and it feel much slower now, disabling card animations feels far too fast and easy to miss plays. I really hope they make changes accordingly because this is pushing me farther away from the game.

While there are many problems that many people have mentioned, I only have one I care to mention. I am not sure if it has been brought to light just yet.

When entering a battle, once a deck, difficulty, and play-style has been chosen, the button 'play game' will light up. Upon clicking it did nothing, as previously a pop-up would appear saying 'searching for game/opponent'. I kept going back to other pages and then coming back and clicking it, but there was no result. I eventually gave up and then came back seeing that I was in the middle of a battle and the timer was ticking. There was an intense delay with entering battle, and it seems you can click 'play game' and though you could be in the middle of a trade and it would just throw you into battle. Because of the random nature of this, it is easy for players to accrue losses through disqualification via timing out, while waiting for a battle to randomly appear.

Additionally, though it may have been because I clicked the play game button so many times wondering why it had not been working, I would finally get into a battle, but in the middle of that battle, suddenly a new battle with a new player would start. In one game, I fought four different players. I am not aware whether the 3 previous games counted as a loss or if it completely tossed any record of the battle.

My last issue is when opening new packs, you can no longer zoom in on the cards. Often, you will open packs and obtain new cards, especially when a new series is released. However, as I am unable to right-click and zoom in on these cards, I have no ideas what their utility may be. I would have to search through my collection looking for new cards in order to read the card. The 'NEW' starburst when opening a pack also almost entirely covers the name of the pokemon, and given how small and low resolution the cards are, while some card illustrations are also heavy on detail, it is sometimes impossible to discern what the card you obtained was at all.

Due to these problems, I will not be leisurely playing the game as I had previously to test decks. For now I will just claim login rewards and on occasion the daily 10 token win. If these in-game problems persist for an indefinite period of time, I will no longer have any use in the code cards that come with my booster packs, lowering my incentive to purchase physical booster packs somewhat.

I hope these problems are fixed soon. These are not issues that can be set aside for the next update. An emergency patch is in order. Playing the game is just too inconvenient for me right now.

I'm hard-pressed to understand why they implemented a new interface at all. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nothing was wrong with the old interface, perhaps some optimization issues but it worked fine for what it was. I just don't get it. Who in the dev team thought it was a good idea to do this, and why wasn't he told to pack his things? Aesthetics should never take precedence over functionality. Besides even if your goal was to make it more aesthetically pleasing you failed miserably there as well, it looks so childish now (oh yeah it's a kid's game.) All in all, 0/10. You dun goofed. Rant over

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nothing was wrong with the old interface, perhaps some optimization issues but it worked fine for what it was.

EXACTLY! This change is so difficult for me to understand.... I'm sure this new interface is some developers precious baby, but they really should have spent their time developing the current interface rather than creating a useless overhaul...makes no sense.... I don't mind the cartoony look, but there was really nothing wrong with it as it was. Having spent over 2 and 1/2 days in total gameplay hours playing this game so far, it's safe to say this was definitely my favorite game, but this huge step backwards has got me really worried.

I have to say, the new interface and in-game look is extremely disappointing. The old look was 10X better. Why was it scrapped? It ran smoothly, looked good, had a nice view, was realistic, and was easy to follow everything in the game. This new look is very cartoony, awkward, blurry, and hard to look at for an extended amount of time. Why was this done? Why not work on things such as tournaments, increased customization, in-game access from outside perspective, ect… This is unbelievable. I feel like I just transitioned from playing a Playstation 3 to a PS1 game with how choppy and unrefined it looks.

A few bugs to point out. (Some didn't even exist on the old system)

- I get thrown around in games to new games out of nowhere. I guess this is from clicking the 'play' button and nothing happening, only for me to click it again and get put into a game.

- Playing Ghetsis supporter card is so loopy now. Half the time it doesn't even show me their hand.

- Why is my hand cut off halfway in-game?

- Why can't I watch the cards get shuffled ********** of the deck like the old system?

- Why is everything so ridiculously fast? Its hard to keep up with instantaneous discarding, shuffling, ect… Come on. Seriously.

I agree with pretty much everything said here - the update was not only disappointing, it is ruining the entire experience. I'm not even sure I want to play this game anymore. I'll run down the list:

- Can't zoom in on cards when you open a pack. This is ok for older sets (since I'm already familiar with most of the cards), but opening new XY packs is not even fun since I can't even tell what cards I'm getting until I load my Collection and look for "new" cards.

- No login bonus displayed when the game loads - have to click to see it. I liked having it there first thing.

- Public trades, as someone else said, are basically useless at this point. There are pages and pages of trades I can't accept, and no way to filter them out. And forget about trying to search. Having improved searchability in public trades was one of the things I was most looking forward to in an update, but now it's gone completely in the opposite direction and gotten way worse.

- Foil effects for non-holo non-FA cards look terrible - they're barely even shiny at all

- I had the same experience as Kraedi, where I clicked to start a battle, nothing happened so I clicked again, still nothing happened so I went to my Collection. Suddenly out of nowhere a battle started (loading extremely slowly). Then after a minute or so, a WHOLE NEW battle started with a different opponent and after another minute, timed out. I'm afraid to try again because I don't want losses on my record from game error. The popup window that says "searching for game" needs to come back.

- The way your hand is displayed on the playmat is awful - the bottom half of the cards are cut off even if you adjust your screen resolution.

- The overall look of the new interface is so cartoony and child-oriented. Maybe PTCGO is going in the direction of trying to appeal to younger players, but as an adult player, I hate it. Those Trainer Challenge computer opponents popping up everywhere is annoying and makes me think I'm way too old for this stuff.

All I can say is please, please, please go back to the old format and continue to work on the new one until these issues are fixed. I've invested a lot of time (and money) trading and building my collection, and it honestly feels like it was all for nothing at this point.

Here are mine:

Chat takes 1/3 of the screen, there is no reason for that, now you have to choose between doing anything or reading the chat as you can’t do both at the same time.

Trading: It's great that you can now add multiple things at the same time, it's the best thing this update did and one of the things I wanted the most but it comes with not being able to sort by remaining time or search for a person's name in private trade, making trades nigh impossible to do. Also if the lingering trades were bad before now it's way worse because there is not only lingering trades (trades that have been taken or canceled but still appear) but now also trades appear even after their time has completed.

Collection: Separating cards between "pokemon" "trainer" and "energy is unnecessary they should all be together in a "cards" category.

All in all the previous interface was miles better, but this one can go from the worst interface i have ever seen in any software... ever to an acceptable one if you: Fix bugs (things not directly related to the interface like getting thrown into random matches or cards taking forever to load), and change things like being able to sort by remaining time, being able to sort by only trades you can accept, being able to search for people’s names to make private trades, making the public trade system work based on images like it used to, make the chat smaller and visible at all times. All other complaints we can get used to but fix these. Please!

hello i can't see all my cards in my collection ;many cards have pokemon trading card game onlin e written instead of the real card;why?then i can't play and do anything;its sad

Actually, I'm starting to like the playmat a bit more. And the card zoom-in feature is a lot clearer in 1080p on my 37'' flatscreen TV LOL. But trading, PVP match-up and many other issues listed by others here are just flat-out broken.

Honestly there are just too many issues for me to list, especially because I don't want to risk being caught doing this and lose a match because I didn't realize the game was going to put me in one randomly. Here is my basic summary, then:

Update improvements: XY added

Update downsides: Everything else.

I really hope the developers listen to this thread, because every time I report a bug myself, nothing is done about it for the next 2 or three updates, if it's addressed at all. Quite honestly, so many problems could have been avoided if, instead of adding all kinds of new stuff, the only change for this update had been the addition of XY. That's literally all that needed to happen. The game is unrecognizable from the way it was before, and for those who played it before this update it is almost impossible to use. Finally, I have to address the notes made in the update post by the staff (in the Announcements section): It said there were things added in addition to the UI "improvements," and I have a question: WHAT improvements? Honestly, I can't find anything in the UI that is better now than it was before. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Hopefully the devs don't take too much offense to these issues. They should see it as an opportunity to make the game much better than it was previously. I'm not sure why they had to downgrade trading so much though...maybe they thought it was TOO easy to get what you want? Or isn't that the point of trading? haha.

Either way, they could have definitely spent a bit more time on these so-called UI "improvements." I can see the routes they were attempting to take in terms of positive additions to UI and ease-of-use, but they're all so unfinished that they should have stuck with the old system for a bit longer.

Maybe the new UI is an attempt to transition the program to portable touchscreen devices as it seems to be more image-based like GR0 said, but who knows...for now, it's just not working as well as the old one was.

I'm not one to complain, but this is one this has been one terrible update. Someone said it best, it looks WAY to "cartoony".

I absolutely hate the new playmat layout. Everything seems so jumbled up and mushed together. I don't see one good reason why you guys changed it from the old. Usually, it was easy to know when its your turn. Now I can't even tell. Everything seems like its at an angle.

There is so much wrong with this new interface, that I would be a broken record if I even try saying anything. Seems the community has nailed everything on the head. I am really disappointed. As a store manager, I never understood why companies try to change something that does so well. I understand polishing up some stuff, but a complete and radical change on something that was working great is so disappointing.

Archived