Remove Highlight from Expert Games

Velvetlotus

I've noticed a highlight around cards in deck/discard pile when searching after using specific cards. In expert level games, people should know which cards they should be choosing, and this highlight only helps people choose their next moves. In the real world game, you would have to select cards without being shown which cards you can choose... Just a thought.

yea actually there's too much handholding because of that highlight feature. after playing so much on the PTCGO and then starting out on the real thing, I noticed I was so much more careless without the highlight feature from the game, definitely worth removing from expert to increase difficulty.

1 example I can think of is playing against a gothitelle item lock deck, with the highlight feature a player automatically gets his item cards locked, the non-highlight game should allow the person to reveal the card to his opponent as if he were going to play it, only then have the game prompt him that that move is illegal, this way the player is punished by revealing that card to his opponent for being careless.

I've noticed a highlight around cards in deck/discard pile when searching after using specific cards. In expert level games, people should know which cards they should be choosing, and this highlight only helps people choose their next moves. In the real world game, you would have to select cards without being shown which cards you can choose... Just a thought.

Totally agree! ;)

yea actually there's too much handholding because of that highlight feature. after playing so much on the PTCGO and then starting out on the real thing, I noticed I was so much more careless without the highlight feature from the game, definitely worth removing from expert to increase difficulty.

1 example I can think of is playing against a gothitelle item lock deck, with the highlight feature a player automatically gets his item cards locked, the non-highlight game should allow the person to reveal the card to his opponent as if he were going to play it, only then have the game prompt him that that move is illegal, this way the player is punished by revealing that card to his opponent for being careless.

Actually, revealing cards is against the rules, unless a card effect specifically state you to.

It's accepted because accidental reveals are clearly unintended, but if you were to reveal your cards as part of a strategy (throwing your opponent off by only giving them the information you want them to have, for instance revealing N to persuade your opponent to empty their hand), you'd get DQ'd pretty quickly for making illegal move.

That's the problem with your suggested system: people will just use it to break that rule.

Actually, revealing cards is against the rules, unless a card effect specifically state you to.

It's accepted because accidental reveals are clearly unintended, but if you were to reveal your cards as part of a strategy (throwing your opponent off by only giving them the information you want them to have, for instance revealing N to persuade your opponent to empty their hand), you'd get DQ'd pretty quickly for making illegal move.

That's the problem with your suggested system: people will just use it to break that rule.

yea good point but the thing is they could show the card (say an N) but they won't be able to play it because it was an illegal move (because maybe a Stoutland was in play), in that case the opponent has the heads up on what happening and can tweak from there. my opinion is that it can never be a bad thing to know what your opponent has in his hand. plus I think its very hard to argue whether a card reveal is mistake or intentional, if we DQ every player who made a mistake there'd be a whole lot of ppl DQ-es I think. Can't help but bring up the Jason klaczynski mistake in 2013 when we discuss this, even in his situation he didn't get DQ-ed, but he did lose the match automatically, but only becasue the mistake was not caught early enough and the match can no longer be recovered, had they caught his mistake much earlier I think the penalty would have been much less severe.

Maybe there are situations where this method would not work, but if we're going to do a system where the game doesn't highlight everything for you, there should be a punishment for if you make a mistake. if you just remove the highlight feature but still lock out the invalid choices then there's barely any difference. the punishment shouldn't be as severe as loing a game or a prize, but should at least disadvantage the the player who made the mistake.

I don't play Pokemon in real life, but I could imagine if I began to, I would be fairly lost. I like the idea of the Expert matches leaving you to your own devices. It would definitely make me learn a little more. I like what Velvet and Chrono are saying, as long as what gr0 said wouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Your carelessness isn't PTCGOs fault. It's yours. You can't blame PTCGO because when you play in real life, you don't take enough time to think out your moves and consider your options.

And.. increasing difficulty? Of what? Picking what cards you are legally able to play is not a matter of difficulty. Is it legal? Y/N. That's all there is to it.

agree completely, being careless is the player's fault and therefore there should be a penalty for not taking time to consider their options(although there is another thread out there complaining about players taking too long) and ending up playing a card illegally, the question is what sort of penalty are we talking here, because I personally think an autoloss from that is probably too harsh, which is why I suggested a card reveal as a penalty, totally open to discussion on that matter.

and yes if there is a penalty involved compared to standard play for doing such things, I believe it is considered an increased difficulty because you have to put more attention to the game and not have the game guide you.

Can't believe I didn't post this before, so I'll do now:

If we were to make mistakes a part of the game, then you'd also have to actually allow that move, and make it so it's the opponent's responsibility to catch the mistake and force the move to be taken back. After all, that's the other side of making an error: if the opponent too makes an error, you actually benefit from your error. Can't only selectively add the negative effects to the game, after all: that wouldn't be fair for the turn player, when he gets all the negative effects of errors, while the defending player is still safe from them.

So basically, you'd end up with a manual version of the game. That's far too extreme for a bit of realism.

The online game is slow enough as it is. Adding things like allowing me to waste time revealing a card only to slap me on the wrist will only slow things down further. I prefer the highlights, helps to spotlight the cards and makes selection go that much faster. In a game with an interface as cumbersome as this, I'm in favor of anything that removes clicks and speeds up play.I vote keep the highlights.

Archived