Getting back into the TCG after an 11-year (!!) break...

Mahzes

So, I picked up the Deluxe Chespin starter deck today.

I used to play regularly and seriously about 11-12 years ago, going to my local Pokémon TCG League every week or two and a couple of official tournaments. However, my local League store shut down and I generally lost interest in the Pokémo franchise for quite a long time. One thing led to another, and I've not played the game in eleven years.

However, after getting back into the series in a big way earlier this year, I decided to give the TCG another go. Has much changed since I last picked up a deck?

I recall back when I played competitively, older cards were routinely banned from official play as a means of forcing players to buy newer cards- is that still a thing, or has it been abolished since Wizards lost the license? Not that I really plan on playing in any tournaments from now on, but I can't help but wonder if my old deck would still be tournament-legal by today's standards!

I see that Dragon and Fairy have been added as types while I was away, and that there seems to be a new type of Support trainer card. Has much else changed in my absence?

That would have to be a resounding "yes!"

Supporter cards have been around a long time actually, as a way of watering down cards that reset your hand(like Professor Oak), draw several cards and/or give significant search capabilities. Cards like that still exist, just as Supporters, which you can only play one of each turn.

Rotations are still in force for competitive play, just look at 'Modified Legal Format' in the card database to know what's current. It's Next Destinies onwards ATM.

Dragon was around before I started playing(and is an interesting type in that it has no energy of it's own and most dragons are multi-energy users), but Fairy is still being introduced, as the X and Y set hasn't be released in English yet(Just the Kalos starters).

Apart from that the main difference is the sheer progression of card power. The cards you would have played with wouldn't have a chance against the current Pokemon. Pokemon Ex are the most notable addition.

Hey, thanks for the reply! :)

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of the cards seemed to have higher HP/ Damage than what I was used to- back in the day, I think 120HP was basically the cap- nothing really had higher HP than that.

It doesn't seem like anything too drastic has changed rule-wise then, now I just need to brush up on the basics. 11 years of not playing means I'm more than a bit rusty!

One thing I just remembered- is there a limit to the number of cards you can have in your hand, or am I confusing that with Yu-Gi-Oh? Pretty sure it's the latter, but just wanted to make sure!

Im kinda confused about TCG currently, cause I just got back into it since in 5-6 years. I was a collector in that sorts, I couldnt find a tournament for Pkmn cards, heck, I didnt know what they were till I realized when I got into YuGiOh that Pokemon had the same. My cards were REALLY outdated. As long as Sinnoh is concerned, thats pretty much ALL of my cards, besides some B&W...

well then you can start collecting again. All I do is collect. I have a league near me but I don't go and I went to two tournaments and was obliterated... So I just collect and look at my shiny shiny precious'.

There are no official events in over eighty miles of my location (small town/rural areas for you), so I use my collection to teach some interested people how to play and keep up with some practice matches, also showing them what has changed over the years. It's gotten a small number of people around me wanting to try it out some more. If it weren't for the cost of renting the local community center, I'd have started a league months ago.

Anyway, if you are uncertain where to start collecting again, the new Kalos Starter decks would be a great hopping-on point if you're wanting to play some matches fresh from the box. Mmm... Fresh cards...

It wouldn't hurt to get a matching figure set that contains promotional versions of your starter's evolutions, a vinyl figurine, and some booster packs.

I believe confusion was changed.

I remember my TCG version to the gameboy had different rules toward confusion.

Now the rules are that when you attack you have to flip a coin, if tails, your Pokemon's attack fails and it loses 30 HP.

Switching Pokemon doesn't need a coin flip now either.

Archived