Frequent and Patterned Game Crashes

Iamkona

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the Pokemon TCG community, so please bear with me if I'm not asking the questions right, or asking the right questions.

So, the girlfriend and I recently got back into Pokemon TCG, and the online battles just have us hooked, to say the least!! We have the game installed on both our custom gaming PC's, Surface Pro, and Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T (Windows 8.1 Tablet). The game runs flawlessly on all these devices, and we've never had a hiccup.

Unfortunately, we recently acquired an Asus Transformer Book T100, and the game has just been crashing like no tomorrow. Though I'm no programmer, I am a trained and certified Intel employee, and I've done my fair share of investigation into the issue. It just doesn't seem resolvable from an end-user point of view...

Simple observation indicates that the crashes happen when...

- When I attempt to access booster packs (Unless the game is set on 1024 by 768)

- When an NPC tries to communicate to us after a Trainer Challenge

- Occasionally when it's loading a PVP match (1 in 10 games or so)

Here's what I've tried so far (very rudimentary trouble ******** methods, of course)

- Re-installed the game after a full registry wipe of the original installation, including the latest patch on the 11th

- Install the game on a different directory, and on a different partition/drive alltogether

- Update, revert, and factory reset all video and chipset drivers

- Removed all Windows Updates, and re-installing them one by one

- Tried to run the game in Compatibility mode in Windows 8, 7 SP1, 7, XP SP3, none of them will launch the game

Here's what I know

As indicated by the error log in Windows Event Viewer, the crashes are consistent, and are due to the module 'ntdll.dll', which means it could be hardware issues. Albeit I sense that's not the case given the following:

- Same issue happening on different drives = my drive is fine

- 8 passes of MemTest86+ with zero errors = my RAM is fine

- 6 passes in VMT with zero errors = my onboard GPU is fine

- Insufficient hardware = not the case since the game ran fine on 2GB of DDR2 667Mhz ram + the Atom z2760 on my Samsung Ativ 500T. The new Atom z3740 provides twice the CPU performance and 3 times the GPU performance, and the Asus T100 has 2GB of DDR3 RAM at 1066MHz

The only thine I have not done is factory reset my tablet, which I really doubt would help. As far as I'm concerned, given that the game seems more stable when running at 1024 by 768, yet it ran fine on 1920 by 1080 on MUCH weaker hardware, the game is having difficulties accessing my vRAM. But that STILL doesn't sound likely, as the Atom z3740 uses an Ivybridge GPU architecture, which is last year's news. Any incompatibility should have been patched by now...

Simply put, I'm stuck... Any insight?

Thank you for your (rather extensive and awe inspiring) post.

I suggest that you send a ticket into the support team so they can investigate this matter further. To submit a ticket, simply click the link in my signature, sign in, and click "Ask a Question".

Thank you for your patience, and good luck!

Hello Iamkona,

Wow, you have put some serious time into this issue. :(

If you are running Windows 8.1, please read the thread below for possible fixes.

http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/showthread.php?38872-A-note-from-the-Dev-team-regarding-Windows-8-1-issues

Outside of that, hopefully performance will be improved for you in an upcoming game update.

-Ensure that you have the newest video and audio drivers for your system, downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

-Once in the game, go to your Settings and change performance to "Fastest", lower your game resolution to 1024x768.

-Try switching the game to windowed mode from the in-game Settings.

-Try running TCGO from the “Refresher” file, which can be found in your “Pokemon Trading Card Game Online” folder.

-Run a virus / malware scan. From your Windows system accessories run Disk Defragmenter.

-Before running TCGO, close any unnecessary background programs (web browsers, word processor, etc.).

Good luck!

Archived