Pallet Town: Where decks begin...

NinetynineTails

with the recent announce of XY set in Japan, i took a peek and found several ideas for decks. here are the decklists

Creative Light deck

Pokémon: 12

Spritzee x3

Aromatisse x3(Fairy Trans)

Xerneas-EX x3

Xerneas x3

Energy: 16

Fairy Energy x16

Trainers: 32

Roller Skates x3

N x4

Tierno x3

Professor Sycamore x2

Skyarrow Bridge x2

Pokémon Catcher x3

Level Ball x3

Ultra Ball x3

Max Potion x3

Hard Charm x3

Evolution Soda x3

prototype of a possible metagame deck. Xerneas-EX is the main attacker. Move energies around with Aromatisse ability

Destructive Darkness deck

Pokémon: 13

Deino x3(Dark)

Zweilous x1(Dragon)

Hydreigon x3(Dark Trance)

Yveltal-EX x3

Sableye x3

Energy: 15

Darkness Energy x15

N x3

Dark Patch x3

Rare Candy x3

Ultra Ball x3

Heavy Ball x3

Dark Claw x3

Tierno x3

Pokémon Catcher x3

Skyarrow Bridge x2

Max Potion x3

Team Flare Grunt x3

my own variant of Darkrai/Hydreigon deck, but with Yveltal-EX

any suggestions to improve these decks are welcome

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NinetynineTails

• coggy90

• RoyalDuke

NinetynineTails
ok thank you it probably is me since i'm still noob at this game lol Merry Christmas to you too. alright sounds good

Was trying not to say it in those words, exactly, but I did wonder how you could lose 20 games straight when the deck should at least be stronger than my Starter-based deck(opening page), which I have a 50% win-rate with.

with the recent announce of XY set in Japan, i took a peek and found several ideas for decks. here are the decklists

Creative Light deck

Pokémon: 12

Spritzee x3

Aromatisse x3(Fairy Trans)

Xerneas-EX x3

Xerneas x3

Energy: 16

Fairy Energy x16

Roller Skates x3

N x4

Tierno x3

Professor Sycamore x2

Skyarrow Bridge x2

Pokémon Catcher x3

Level Ball x3

Ultra Ball x3

Max Potion x3

Hard Charm x3

Evolution Soda x3

prototype of a possible metagame deck. Xerneas-EX is the main attacker. Move energies around with Aromatisse ability

Destructive Darkness deck

Pokémon: 13

Deino x3(Dark)

Zweilous x1(Dragon)

Hydreigon x3(Dark Trance)

Yveltal-EX x3

Sableye x3

Energy: 15

Darkness Energy x15

N x3

Dark Patch x3

Rare Candy x3

Ultra Ball x3

Heavy Ball x3

Dark Claw x3

Tierno x3

Pokémon Catcher x3

Skyarrow Bridge x2

Max Potion x3

Team Flare Grunt x3

my own variant of Darkrai/Hydreigon deck, but with Yveltal-EX

any suggestions to improve these decks are welcome

First of all I believe you are thinking of 'Fairy' type when you say 'Light', or are you just being dramatic?

As for the first deck itself; it seems alright but I don't think it will be the most daunting use of Aromatisse. That will likely be the use of Rainbow Energy(which is being reprinted) to use multiple types of Pokemon, then use Basic Fairy Energy to pay any colourless costings; as done previously with Klinklang(Shift Gear). There's also Slurpuff with a Fairy version of Virizion Ex's Ability. So Fairy type has some nice support in those Stage 1's, but the downside is they are Catcher targets(I think Level Ball+Evolution Soda will make up for this as they're so easy to find that a couple of each is still plenty reliable). They're still more likely to be used as a basis for a deck that techs Pokemon of different types than in a pure Fairy Deck.

In terms of Trainers I think Prof's Letter wil make a big splash, simply because it's an easy +1 to hand and at the very least can be used to pay Ultra Ball/Computer Search. Not to mention Blastie and Rayboar will be running a playset to pile on more energy than ever. You've also left out Muscle Band, which makes Dark Claw obsolete as that capability is now universal(same as with Hard Charm compared to Eviolite). Team Flare Grunt will probably only be teched for 1-2 copies, if at all(except with Magnezone in deck, perhaps). With only one supporter a turn you really want to get reliability out of them with hand resets and similar effects; Flare Grunt may be guaranteed, unlike Smashing Hammer, but with a Juniper, for example, you could draw two of those which is just as good(on average) as well as 5 other cards. It may be used in addition to those Hammers, or simply when space is extremely tight(or possibly just as back-up when they fail), but I don't see it as a massive game changer as it's nearly dead in some matchups(namely Blastie and RayBoar) while taking the space of a more assured Supporter. Not saying it's bad, just that one Energy for a Supporter card is only an average trade-off, while other Supporters will often give better benefits as well as provide stability. May see use in something using Delphox. I know we have Roller Skates now and that's definately a cool card, but that's just going to make decks faster with some bonus draw potential, not take the role of Supporter draws(the guarantee of a new hand is important). Red Card is going to be some nice tech too, as it really hurts Tropical Beach users or simply an opponents opening hand(potentially useful at other times, just less likely).

As for Darkness decks I think Darkrai will still be used, he'll simply give up a couple of spots to Yveltal, who will now be prime attacker while Darkrai becomes more focussed on support. Not a huge fan of the Hydriegon variant, but it will probably see just as much success, just not at the complete expense of Darkrai(2-1-2 with 2 Darkrai rather than 3-1-3). I'm also interested in how Evolution Soda will affect the use of Stage 2 Pokemon. There's been some speculation of how it will compare to Rare Candy when using a Stage 2 line and, while the general consensus is that Rare Candies speed can be crucial and it will thus not be made obsolete, I believe that Evolution Soda will give better reliability, which is all some Stage 2's need. Hydriegon is a perfect example, as it doesn't need to be in play Turn 2; in which case you probably don't have great deal of energy to shuffle with it's ability, anyway. So normally I'd say 2-1-2 with 2 Rare Candy a couple of Level Balls and an Ultra/Heavy Ball, but it might soon be better to go 2-2-2 with 3 Evolutionary Soda and a Level Ball. Time will tell, anyway.

NinetynineTails

Well the ratio is meant as a guide, all you really need are 10 Basic Pokemon and at least 10 Energy, the other 40 is in a bit of a flux situation which depends on the deck; I just didn't want people running a low energy lineup and then getting disappointed when they don't draw them(which can happen), or thinking they should run 10 total Pokemon(the extra 5 is to accommodate for evolutions which most entry level decks will use to some extent). In your case you have a couple 1-1 Pokemon, which isn't ideal. Don't get me wrong, they're both good Stage 1's, and it's not that 1-1 is never applicable, just rarely and you would probably be better off with a couple of other Eeveelutions, or just Basic's. Emolga has free retreat also, if you have it. Only really used for Call anyway so you don't need Electric energy. Drifblim may be worth keeping around, but Cincinno is no better than an extra 'Eon(smooth coat is great when it succeeds but he takes a bit of energy to attack), which usually get by on any energy except for their secondary attacks. You could probably still benefit from anti-Ex Pokemon, even with Silver Bangle; as you say, they're everywhere. Not sure I'd bother with Durant but if you're that desperate to recycle I won't stop you.

Garbodor is weak to Psychic, so maybe Team Plasma Espeon to two-hit him on bench(or 1-hit Trubbish before it comes to that). I'd say keep Shaymin Ex; Revenge Blast may not always come into play but it's nice way to get a cheap attack in late game. Just don't drop him early if you think he'll be in danger. That version of Bouffalant is less useful IMO. Having tried him I've come to the point where I think 'Revenge is nice for one turn but then what?' He's not like Terrakion who has type-advantage over some popular Pokemon(Darkrai, Thundurus etc). He also has an awful secondary attack.

Guest ArtichokeCat

OK, thanks for the advice! I'll get on to revising my deck right away! I just use the Durant to get back my Exs and Ace Spec and such.

Update on revision: took out the Cincinno line and the Bouffalant and replaced them with an Eevee, an Espeon, and a Sigilyph. I took out the Virbank and lasers because i only have one Virizion, and replaced them with a level ball, an energy switch, and another switch. I replaced the energy search with an energy retrieval,and two psychic energy for two grass.

With only two psychic type pokemon, should i run 4 psychic energy ? PS- what should i take out for a level ball (or two) for my Eevee?

Edited by ArtichokeCat
NinetynineTails

I know why you use Durant, but it's no Sableye. 4 Psychic Energy is probably decent, though you could also just use anti-Ex Bouffalant and not bother with Psych(honestly, Garbodor is not the end of the world when you only have 2 abilities in your entire deck). Maybe drop an energy and a Tool Scrapper for Level Ball. You'll need to test that for yourself, though.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Ok, Thanks a lot! I'll update my deck-list above.

Update: just played a Virizion-Genesect deck (funny since there was only one Virizion, probably as tech) and i lost because i missed the bangle off of the Juniper and my opponent screwed me with Red signal and got around my Sigilyph. From this i suppose that Sigilyph is pretty legit with a silver item.

Edited by ArtichokeCat
Guest ArtichokeCat

The only reason I don't use anti-ex Bouffalant is that it can't do anything against Latias ex...

And because i want to save space I'll just post my reply right here. True.. most of my attackers don't have abilities and Sigilyph would also be affected as well...and then i could remove the psychic energies too and the Espeon with it....I'll get on it right away!

And IDK...the first match i ever played on Expert Modified (Which i always play to get tokens) had me going up against Latias Ex and all I had were Bouffalants (2) that were just useless....that's probably why I'm so paranoid with Latias EX...

Edited by ArtichokeCat
chronophysicist
The only reason I don't use anti-ex Bouffalant is that it can't do anything against Latias ex...

because we see Latias EX so often?

plus you've got so many non-ability pokemon

RoyalDuke

hey ninetyninetails,

I've got some deck idea you'd might like to work on with me, its a empoleon, ho-oh ex deck

the ho-oh empoleon combo being some sort of engine drawing cards and recycling discarded energies with ho-oh (which you can also throw away with empoleon) maybe moving them around with shaymin celebration wind (for a unlimited version of it :))

but I havent thought of a good main attacker yet, maybe thats not even needed, if you use empoleon as a main attacker and ho-oh as backup or as a vir/gen counter...

But i'd like some other option as main attacker, something with much more power than ho-oh, because just 80 damage on 3 energies is kinda puny in the current format...

btw anyone looking forward to the XY series?

I personaly can't wait for greninja with water shuriken...

Combined with kingdra or something like that :D

and ofcourse that soda thingy

Guest ArtichokeCat

Ahh...Scrap that last deck I made! I've got a crazy new one that shouldn't work. Flarizion!!!

Pokemon(18)

4 Eevee, 2 Plasma Flareon, 2 Plasma Leafeon, 1 Vaporeon (Dark Explorers)

1 Virizion Ex,1 Shaymin Ex,1 Tropius (Plasma Blast)

1-1 line of Drifblim (Plasma Blast), 1 Sawk (Plasma Blast)

1 Durant ( Dragons Exalted),1 Spiritomb (Legendary Treasures), 1 Archen (Prehistoric Call)

Trainers (30)

4 N, 4 Professor Juniper, 1 Colress, 1 Random Receiver

2 Level Ball, 3 Ultra Ball, 2 Superior Energy Retrieval, 2 Tool Scrapper, 1 Switch, 1 Escape Rope, 1 Pokemon Catcher

1 Pokemon Center, 1 Frozen City

1 Rock Guard ACE SPEC, 2 Float Stone, 2 Silver Bangle, 1 Silver Mirror

Energy(12)

6 Grass Energy, 2 Fire Energy,

3 Double Colorless Energy, 1 Blend Energy (Fighting, Water, Electric,Steel)

This deck seems very inconsistent so any suggestions would be appreciated! Strategy: Do whatever you like and just win! ;D

Edited by ArtichokeCat
NinetynineTails

Well I guess Jellicent is there to Kamikaze. Get the concept but it's not really worth it; at least not in this deck. Too costly when it's forcing you to run a couple Water energy and is only at 1-1. Also, Kecleon isn't particularly useful without Prism Energy; seeing as he can't use their attacks without the appropriate energy, which you won't often be able to do with Basic Energy.

Hugh would be better replaced by a Random Receiver or two.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Ahh....Thanks! I'll get on it right away! Updates above. I've got so many deck i should separate my ideas and turn them all into individual decks.....

Edited by ArtichokeCat